Garmin has new Dashcams - 46W - 56W - 66W

No mention of any battery in the mini though, only that it uses a capacitor

So i didnt know once disconnected at night and removed if the date and time would be forgotten... and not sure how it would sync time either as no gps in the mini either according to main site

Mine synced time when I set up with my phone. Used it for over 3000km and it kept time fine with no need to re-sync.

thats awesome news, not sure which to go for yet as first time looking at garmin dashcams

i currently got the VIOFO A119S V2 but do like the look of the garmin mini and garmin as a whole seems a better quality dashcam i believe as i get lost on which best sensors and bitrates :ROFLMAO:

thats awesome news, not sure which to go for yet as first time looking at garmin dashcams

i currently got the VIOFO A119S V2 but do like the look of the garmin mini and garmin as a whole seems a better quality dashcam i believe as i get lost on which best sensors and bitrates :ROFLMAO:
I am also debating between Viofo A119 V3 and Garmin 56... Can't make up my mind!

Got one from B&H Photo. They were out of them for the 2nd one, so I got it from Garmin.

The big question for me is if the new cams make you manually delete parking-mode videos rather than rolling over, the way the 55 does.
Can anyone confirm if this is still the case in current and latest update?
Looking to purchase a 66W but if this is the behaviour of the parking mode for Garmin dash cams, i will look for another brand.

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case in current and latest update?
Looking to purchase a 66W but if this is the behaviour of the parking mode for Garmin dash cams, i will look for another brand.
The parking mode function in the new dash cams is unchanged. You still need to manually delete the video otherwise the SD card will eventually be full of parking mode videos.

Maybe someone can help me out. Are these dashcams like their GPS units where you have to use the cig adapter to power it on?

I have a USB adapter in the only cigarette slot to power my current dash cam and phone.

Can I use a regular usb cable to power their dash cams?

For the x6 line you can use any USB adapter. Make sure that you use provided cable and that the adapter can supply enough power.

If you experience any erratic behavior, the first thing i would do us test with the provided power stuff.
But any good multi port USB adapter / charger should be fine to run the camera, i have several USB adapters in my glove box, and most of their ports are over 2 A and so can run any camera just fine as far as i have tested.
Also be aware of cheap USB cables, those can take a hit on the available power too, you want good copper wires and not cheap CCA ( Copper Clad Aluminum )

O and welcome to the dashcam world and the forum.

For the x6 line you can use any USB adapter. Make sure that you use provided cable and that the adapter can supply enough power.

What are the requirements for power for a regular usb adapter that will power the cam?

If you experience any erratic behavior, the first thing i would do us test with the provided power stuff.
But any good multi port USB adapter / charger should be fine to run the camera, i have several USB adapters in my glove box, and most of their ports are over 2 A and so can run any camera just fine as far as i have tested.
Also be aware of cheap USB cables, those can take a hit on the available power too, you want good copper wires and not cheap CCA ( Copper Clad Aluminum )

Any recommendations for cable brand?

I cant recall the name but there are a popular cable place over there, someone will probably fill in soon.
You can always try what you have first, i assume the dashcam from Garmin use mini USB on the camera end like so many other dashcams, and a regular USB in the other end like we "stab" our computers with.

You can maybe get by even if you might have a CCA cable, their bad side generally come to bare with longer cables,,,, personally i lost recording on my rear camera when i was rear ended, due to a 16 foot poor USB cable, so my rear camera only came on erratic.

I cant recall the name but there are a popular cable place over there, someone will probably fill in soon.
You can always try what you have first, i assume the dashcam from Garmin use mini USB on the camera end like so many other dashcams, and a regular USB in the other end like we "stab" our computers with.

You can maybe get by even if you might have a CCA cable, their bad side generally come to bare with longer cables,,,, personally i lost recording on my rear camera when i was rear ended, due to a 16 foot poor USB cable, so my rear camera only came on erratic.

I'll check that out, I was going to pick up an older a129 on black friday, but the more I read into them, I started to check into other options and a few friends have older garmins, so that works! Maybe they'll be on sale somewhere Friday.

Back