Garmin nüviCam™ LMTHD

Pity that they didn't come out with this a few years earlier, would have been perfect for so many people who just want a set & forget unit. Still, it's not too late, has some really cool features and should take off. I don't expect it to be a hit on this site though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great minds think alike (and @runtohell121 types faster than I do). :D

Yeah, if only I could have that "great mind" who could think ahead of those Jackpot 6 winning lottery numbers ;)

a lot of people ask for these, there have been other models already but just Chinese cheapies, nothing decent to date so they may find a market, I think for trucks, buses etc they're maybe a good option, for cars not so much, where you want a GPS and where you want a dashcam are two different places in most cars so one or the other is going to end up being a compromise

for cars not so much, where you want a GPS and where you want a dashcam are two different places in most cars so one or the other is going to end up being a compromise

That's the problem, and the reason that I'm not going to be getting one. I have a 5" Garmin gps which think is great but it has never been on the windshield, it's mounted on the air vent, something that I wouldn't be able to do with this unit.

I have a Garmin 5" GPS also which is a great product, it does get mounted to the window, but not all the time and would be a hassle to keep taking on and off I was relying on it for other uses, the location needed for GPS use would be useless for camera use, in a truck though I could see it being better, still not perfect but certainly workable, would I buy a $400 GPS over the $100 version and a seperate camera though, not so sure about that

Looks like ambarella based since it has lane departure, front collision warning etc... :confused:

Looks like ambarella based since it has lane departure, front collision warning etc... :confused:

There are other solutions that can do this but I think Ambarella is more likely, very little detail offered on the camera side of things which typical I guess of large companies, no mention of resolution, I'd think they'd lean toward lower res, 720p maybe for the advantages it would offer in the kind of setup, less heat etc

really little details about what chipset, sensor, etc.

Not really a good device to leave it on the windshield, most likely attract thieves...

Price.. $399 is a bit high, though I guess it will depend on what is the spec if they ever list it...

On Chinese market there are similar solutions based on multi-core chipsets. I guess one does gps, other one responcible for dvr, third for multimedia, etc.

I really do hate these gimmicky things - especially these one-stop solutions.
Dashcam should be fit/forget.
With this unit, you have to remember to plug it in & set it up to point in the right direction etc, each time you get in your car, you couldn't set & forget as it's a thief magnet.
If one thing goes wrong, you've got either a huge lump to take video footage or an overpriced satnav.

I really do hate these gimmicky things - especially these one-stop solutions.
Dashcam should be fit/forget.
With this unit, you have to remember to plug it in & set it up to point in the right direction etc, each time you get in your car, you couldn't set & forget as it's a thief magnet.
If one thing goes wrong, you've got either a huge lump to take video footage or an overpriced satnav.

convergence has been a buzzword in the electronics business for a long time but some things just don't get better when you add too much combined functionality, it's not a waste to have devices that are fit for task without all the superfluous crap thrown in

convergence has been a buzzword in the electronics business for a long time but some things just don't get better when you add too much combined functionality, it's not a waste to have devices that are fit for task without all the superfluous crap thrown in
Many years ago I went for a job which turned out to be selling a vacuum cleaner with attachments for power tools.
The guy gave me the booklet with all the pics showing what you could attach & asked me if I thought I could sell it.
I tolds him straight - "no"
The vacuum cleaner was too expensive, too big / cumbersome.
The power tools had to be bought as extras - they could only work via the power take off on the vac - so you have to drag that along as well!
If anything went wrong with the vac then the power tools became useless.
The power tools themselves were way dearer than buying the proper item.

And who can forget the Filter Queen with the hair dryer attachment, never to be used in a million years.

Wasn't a Kirby was it?
That's what came to mind for me as well. My parents bought one many years ago and never once had a good thing to say about it.

More does not always equate to better.

Does anyone know when this is coming out?

Back