Garmin Virb ultra 30

probably a tough sell for them to be a GoPro priced GoPro looking device in a GoPro dominated market

probably a tough sell for them to be a GoPro priced GoPro looking device in a GoPro dominated market
I was just going say the same. Why wouldn't I just get the "real McCoy?" I have not checked the specs for both camera but IMHO it would be a tough sale.

I heard in some videos on YT that they will or have slashed the prize when the Gopro 5 launched, but yeah if you look at the link to their page it do say gopro 5 price.
But if they could lowball gopro 5 with just 50 dollars, that might be a good thing for them.

I do think the Garmin is more of a sports camera, with all the things you can pair it up with and display metadata in the footage.
But is is sad it do not do RAW photos, then again i dont do post processing of pictures i take, so for me personally thats not really a problem.

Okay i have just been looking on the interweb and it seem when the camera came out before the gopro 5 it had a price even higher and that was then slashed to match the gopro 5 price.
I do think they need to lowball gopro to have a chance, there is a lot of gopro ppl out that i compare with Apple ppl, those guys take something special to win over.
Okay not that i think Garming should try that, but the mindset of those ppl also spill over to other ppl.

Just like for example on TV you often hear ppl say Ipad when they mean a tablet, as if only Apple made tablets, and same with phones you often hear some ppl say iphone instead of smartphone.
Off course this is based in ignorance of some / many people, but as we all know thats also a formidable opponent.

And then we off course also have to remember all the others with similar cameras costing 1-200 dollars less.

Nothing new about brand dilution/genericization... Kleenex, xerox, heck, I've even heard people refer to any brand of suv as a Jeep!
The Portuguese word used to describe any 4x4 vehicle is "jipe". It's even in the dictionary! :)

Over here both the TomTom Bandit and the AEE S70 (if I'm not mistaken) are (were) more expensive than the GoPro 4.

Yeah it is weird, as if they are not really interested in selling any cameras.

As the cheaper action cameras have proven, you cant sell or hurt Gopro unless you do that on the price.
And i dont think you have to half the prize of your camera, just 50 dollars would go a long way i think.
Features like the Virb ultra 30 use is not enough to make it i think.

Off course 50 buks will also only do it if the IQ is up there with the Gopro.
And i am not sure, but i think Gopro have a healthy profit on every camera they sell, and you will have to really hurt them before that margin will be lowered.

The AEE I was talking about is the S71, not the S70.

Just so you see how things work around here: I saw the prices mid-Summer and I thought they were trying to sell the rest of the Hero 4s, because of the Hero 5's arrival. Just checked Worten's website store and the Hero 4 is back to its old price (530€), the S71 is down 60€ to 370€ and of the new GoPros they only introduced the Hero 5 Session, which costs 330€. They stopped selling the TomTom and now they're selling the Virb Xe (400€).
Just out of curiosity, they're also selling the VOXX FLY 360º camera (510€).

well if i win the lottery on friday i will never again look at the price tag on things, i would just order them and be done with it.

But thats easy to do with 100.000.000 EURO in the bank.

But then i would not be buying these cheap cameras, but i will be spending several 100.000 euros on much larger cameras for video and still photography.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Action Camera Discussion 17
Back