Dashcam Guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I ordered the Blackvue DR750s as soon as it was released on the Blackboxmycar site. I spared no expense (got the Cellink B battery pack, harwire kit, rear camera, 128gb card, and CPL filter for the glare). It was an easy install in my 2015 Lexus IS Fsport, but I immediately noticed it had blurry image and focus issues in the hot Texas heat (we had almost 100 degree days even in September!) I uploaded sample videos onto youtube (see below) showing the focus issues in the heat.

I returned this camera to blackboxmycar and they gave me a replacement DR750s which still had the focus issues, except this time after over a month of use it decided to give me a powering down audio message whenever i started the car, and now it is dead.

Instead of getting a third Blackvue, which will probably have the same focusing issues, I'm allowed to upgrade to the new Thinkware F800 Pro thanks to Blackboxmycar's amazing customer service (I highly recommend using them). I'm pretty disappointed about the Blackvue quality overall. It seems as if Blackvue has always had focusing issues and people like to adjust the focus themselves and glue the lens...shouldn't be that way for the price!

I don't understand how spending $750 on a dashcam system that's supposed to be top-of-the-line with glowing reviews turns out to be a dud...twice! Hopefully the Thinkware F800 Pro turns out to be more reliable.

Last edited:
So I ordered the Blackvue DR750s as soon as it was released on the Blackboxmycar site. I spared no expense (got the Cellink B battery pack, harwire kit, rear camera, 128gb card, and CPL filter for the glare). It was an easy install in my 2015 Lexus IS Fsport, but I immediately noticed it had blurry image and focus issues in the hot Texas heat (we had almost 100 degree days even in September!) I uploaded sample videos onto youtube (see below) showing the focus issues in the heat.

I returned this camera to blackboxmycar and they gave me a replacement DR750s which still had the focus issues, except this time after over a month of use it decided to give me a powering down audio message whenever i started the car, and now it is dead.

Instead of getting a third Blackvue, which will probably have the same focusing issues, I'm allowed to upgrade to the new Thinkware F800 Pro thanks to Blackboxmycar's amazing customer service (I highly recommend using them). I'm pretty disappointed about the Blackvue quality overall. It seems as if Blackvue has always had focusing issues and people like to adjust the focus themselves and glue the lens...shouldn't be that way for the price!

I don't understand how spending $750 on a dashcam system that's supposed to be top-of-the-line with glowing reviews turns out to be a dud...twice! Hopefully the Thinkware F800 Pro turns out to be more reliable.

I could have written your post verbatim by simply replacing the word "Texas" for "California." Your experience has been exactly like mine except that I have not talked with BlackBoxMyCar about Thinkware F800 being the third replacement camera.

I started out with the Blackvue 650s, replaced it with the Blackvue 750s and have some of the same problems that you do now. The Enhanced Night Vision on my 750s simply does not work. It makes things worse when turned on - regardless of Brightness Settings used or Frame Rates selected. I have to turn Enhanced Night Vision off, reduce Brightness on the Front Cam to 1 and raise Brightness on the Rear Cam to 5 (to get enough light through the rear tint). That produces video quality no better than the 650s which I had to return for poor image quality and its inconsistency in remaining connected to the on-board 4G hotspot (which included extremely slow video download speeds - often to the point of hanging the app/viewer).

Did you notice any difference in the camera's ability to remain connected to your Hotspot and did you see any improvement in the speed with which you were able to stream both recorded and live video through the Blackvue (Amazon Web Services) cloud server?

I could have written your post verbatim by simply replacing the word "Texas" for "California." Your experience has been exactly like mine except that I have not talked with BlackBoxMyCar about Thinkware F800 being the third replacement camera.

I started out with the Blackvue 650s, replaced it with the Blackvue 750s and have some of the same problems that you do now. The Enhanced Night Vision on my 750s simply does not work. It makes things worse when turned on - regardless of Brightness Settings used or Frame Rates selected. I have to turn Enhanced Night Vision off, reduce Brightness on the Front Cam to 1 and raise Brightness on the Rear Cam to 5 (to get enough light through the rear tint). That produces video quality no better than the 650s which I had to return for poor image quality and its inconsistency in remaining connected to the on-board 4G hotspot (which included extremely slow video download speeds - often to the point of hanging the app/viewer).

Did you notice any difference in the camera's ability to remain connected to your Hotspot and did you see any improvement in the speed with which you were able to stream both recorded and live video through the Blackvue (Amazon Web Services) cloud server?

So the live cloud video worked for me... but live view was very grainy and cropped for some reason. As far as the Blackvue's enhanced night vision is concerned, it is very grainy and I can't read license plates in the night at all because my car has modern bright white led headlights which blow out the image even on the lowest brightness. To be honest I don't know if there is any dashcam out there that can handle recording a situation like that. I'd be very impressed if the thinkware 800 pro proves better in that respect.

So the live cloud video worked for me... but live view was very grainy and cropped for some reason. As far as the Blackvue's enhanced night vision is concerned, it is very grainy and I can't read license plates in the night at all because my car has modern bright white led headlights which blow out the image even on the lowest brightness. To be honest I don't know if there is any dashcam out there that can handle recording a situation like that. I'd be very impressed if the thinkware 800 pro proves better in that respect.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. My Blackvue DR750s won’t stay connected to the cloud consistently just like the Blackvue DR650s failed to do. There is no difference in cloud stability for me after using the Blackvue DR750s for a while now. Neither one of them work consistently.

Every video I see posted of the Thinkware F800 always seems better in terms of video quality than the Blackvue DR750s. Please report your findings with your new F800 when you get a chance. I’d like to know if you really notice any standing difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mystk DR750S (1CH or 2CH) 1
Back