Gearbest A118c - Firmware Problem

Jakg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this -
And I've done something stupid.

The unit was working, and I attempted to update the firmware with the firmware listed here - https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/#Latest_Firmware

Now the unit won't turn on and gets stuck at the splash screen. I think that the Gearbest unit is different enough to the proper VOFIO unit to cause issues.

I've tried each of the firmwares on the page, but none are getting the unit to boot again.

I can see that I'm not the only one with this issue, either - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/gea...-super-cap-version-a118-2056355/15/#p28198922

Any ideas?

ask Gearbest to get you the firmware you had and reload that, the @viofo firmware does not work on the copy version, they look the same but the hardware is different

maybe @DashCamMan needs to add a note on that B40 page as you're not the first to do this

ask Gearbest to get you the firmware you had and reload that, the @viofo firmware does not work on the copy version, they look the same but the hardware is different

maybe @DashCamMan needs to add a note on that B40 page as you're not the first to do this
I've contacted Gearbest who've sent me what they claim is the original firmware - but it's not fixed it.

It now hangs with the text "Welcome" in black on a white background.

Any ideas?

I've contacted Gearbest who've sent me what they claim is the original firmware - but it's not fixed it.

Any ideas?

try flashing it again

Anyone knows how to take firmware backup?
I have one working and i can give copy of that if i can.
But right now i'm not quite sure was mine from gearbest or banggood.
IMG_20170921_113138.JPG

Even if from the same reseller there's still no guarantee that it's the same hardware unless it came from the same production run, these things change often on the generic versions

I'm having the same problem. the software on the incoming product is '' B40S 20160727 '' but I have not found this software again. I follow the subject.

I'm having the same problem. the software on the incoming product is '' B40S 20160727 '' but I have not found this software again. I follow the subject.

if you have a firmware version which starts with B40 best to leave it alone or you risk getting stuck with a non working camera, I haven't seen any kind of support happening for the generic copy versions, if you have one and it works leave it alone, if it doesn't work send it back

Last edited:
from gearbest, is your A118c a specific brand? My B40c is an "Auto Vox branded A118c", I was able to find via this forum (I can't remember where exactly) a new firmware version for my specific cam, so if you have a brand name for yours maybe you can find the right firmware version?

jakg any chance you can please link the firmware from gearbest? I have same problem with my camera and would like to see if this fixes it.

Thanks ^.^

edit: by the way is there actually any way to backup/dump the cameras current firmware or not?

by the way is there actually any way to backup/dump the cameras current firmware or not?

It's possible by direct SPI flash access - I did this once for my G1WC before FW update just to have a way to back. I did this with a cheap $3 flash programmer from ebay like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172040884188
But this requires more than intermediate experience in electronics, maybe it's better to ask a TV technician for help: modern TVs often require re-flashing, and they have all required equipment.

Last edited:
I've contacted who've sent me what they claim is the original firmware - but it's not fixed it.

Any ideas?
Do you remember your original FW number? Can you upload the file from Gearbest?

from gearbest, is your A118c a specific brand? My B40c is an "Auto Vox branded A118c", I was able to find via this forum (I can't remember where exactly) a new firmware version for my specific cam, so if you have a brand name for yours maybe you can find the right firmware version?
There's no branding anywhere on the camera.
It's possible by direct SPI flash access - I did this once for my G1WC before FW update just to have a way to back. I did this with a cheap $3 flash programmer from ebay like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172040884188
But this requires more than intermediate experience in electronics, maybe it's better to ask a TV technician for help: modern TVs often require re-flashing, and they have all required equipment.
That is a little beyond me and probably not worth it for a $25 camera.
jakg any chance you can please link the firmware from gearbest? I have same problem with my camera and would like to see if this fixes it.

Thanks ^.^

edit: by the way is there actually any way to backup/dump the cameras current firmware or not?
This was what they sent me - http://support.appinthestore.com/upload/files/2017/09/21/e906586c8fa0e553ef9f533d694c892b.rar
Do you remember your original FW number? Can you upload the file from Gearbest?
I don't remember the original firmware number unfortunately.

Yesterday my friend brought me a working not-Viofo A118C from Gearbest , and I read memory dump from it. It's B40.20160311.001 (like on Sabe picture) and it's equal to your FW file from Gearbest, so it looks that they sent you correct version.

I uploaded my collection of "clone" FW (that starts from B40/B40C... and not from A118...) You can try it.
Also I hear that stuck on logo can be due to bad camera sensor init because of bad contact on the sensor flat cable, so you can check this if you want.
Another idea is to discharge the capacitors for full reset of all electronics.

Attachments

• FWB40A_B40.20140714.bin.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • FWB40A_B40.20160311.bin.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • FWB40A_B40C.20151204.bin.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • FWB40A_B40C.20160711.bin.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • FWB40A_B40C.20161101.bin.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
Yesterday my friend brought me a working not-Viofo A118C from Gearbest , and I read memory dump from it. It's B40.20160311.001 (like on Sabe picture) and it's equal to your FW file from Gearbest, so it looks that they sent you correct version.

I uploaded my collection of "clone" FW (that starts from B40/B40C... and not from A118...) You can try it.
Also I hear that stuck on logo can be due to bad camera sensor init because of bad contact on the sensor flat cable, so you can check this if you want.
Another idea is to discharge the capacitors for full reset of all electronics.
None worked unfortunately. The unit worked fine until the firmware upgrade so I doubt it's hardware.

None worked unfortunately. The unit worked fine until the firmware upgrade so I doubt it's hardware.
Maybe, but also maybe wrong FW created some bad data in the memory that corrupts boot process. Too bad that I can't see the unit - I would try full re-flashing.
I have a last (but crazy) idea - to burn full dump without the loader. Try attached - I'm not sure that it will work, but you have nothing to loose. I hope you didn't forget to rename files before update ;)

Attachments

• FWB40A_GB4000.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Maybe, but also maybe wrong FW created some bad data in the memory that corrupts boot process. Too bad that I can't see the unit - I would try full re-flashing.
I have a last (but crazy) idea - to burn full dump without the loader. Try attached - I'm not sure that it will work, but you have nothing to loose. I hope you didn't forget to rename files before update ;)
No joy unfortunately. I've given up and bought another.

No joy unfortunately. I've given up and bought another.
The replacement has a firmware version of "B40C.20170227.001"

Does anyone have a link to download it online?

Back