Gearbest A118c - Firmware Problem

I also tried all the firmwares provided (thanks eddie for providing them and to jakg for the gearbest link) and sadly no luck so seems I just have an expensive paper weight likely destined for landfil. Jakg I think if you want that 'B40C.20170227.001' firmware (which by the way I think is what was on my one) you would have to dump it manually directly from the chip yourself using SPI method eddie mentioned, I considered getting a programmer like he linked but it would probably take me a long time to figure out how to do it and in the end it might not even help since I dont have original fw :/. I can solder very finely so thats not a problem but just dont know if I can be bothered learning how to read/write the chip itself.

I did notice that the camera now act more like the non C version and with power removed stays powered up for a while (10-20seconds) until the leds slowly fade and screen turns off when the caps are discharged, I tried a reset in between every flash and made sure to remove SD card for booting nothing helps so I think for whatever reason the camera is now completely useless and maybe only good for spare parts. If a photo of pcb would help anyone I am happy to dismantle it again and upload pics.

I too have purchased an 'official' replacement an one from estore009 on ebay (who I bought from in the past) and no problems changing the firmware with their one even though the number originally started with 'B40' the new one is working great as is the one I purchased from them 2 years ago which still works like new.

Just to also mention I also purchased a 'updated' A118C "X40" from them that has new Ambarella chip a little while ago but it was running VERY hot so I sent it back because I was not comfortable about using it coming into summer in australia since it was already running way too hot. - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132298643817

Just to also mention I also purchased a 'updated' A118C "X40" from them that has new Ambarella chip a little while ago but it was running VERY hot so I sent it back because I was not comfortable about using it coming into summer in australia since it was already running way too hot. - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132298643817
did you open the camera to see whether it actually had an A7 inside? that was a hilariously BAD photoshop on the ebay listing you linked to. i have a feeling it was actually some cheap allwinner or other non-ambarella or non-novatek chip inside.

did you open the camera to see whether it actually had an A7 inside? that was a hilariously BAD photoshop on the ebay listing you linked to. i have a feeling it was actually some cheap allwinner or other non-ambarella or non-novatek chip inside.

I did not open it as it had warranty sticker/seal on one of the screw holes but as far as I know estore009 is trusted seller and I would assume most likely they simply dont have internal photo so they just used paint to super impose that chip in there lol.. I have no reason not to believe it is what they said but it certainly had a heat problem and they sent me different firmware to try which didn't help it.

The quality was on par if not a bit better than both A118Cs I have, files were also slightly bigger due to higher bitrate but it was around 50c externally (around screen area and sd card) and the same samsung evo I use in my other dashcams was noticeably hot to the touch, I have not noticed my other genuine ones running even a little warm.

Did anyone opened a recent purchase Gearbest A118c and can actually verify that it uses the Novatek 96650 chip? BTW, they list it now for $30.99.

That is what they and Aliexpress @ $30 claim. I dont know about Gearbest but with Aliexpress if you get a fake item and file a dispute you can get your money back.

Anyone know where I can get B40C.20170227.001 firmware from?

If I buy the A118c from gearbest, do I need to update the firmware for it to work? Can I just use the original firmware and never update it while I use it?

Personally i think it's not worth to change firmware to these cheap cameras, it's very rare that it works any better after that and it's risky.
Having one and knowing what i know now i recommend you to buy something better, these are quite useless at night.
This is my rear camera and i will never use it in front.

Last edited:
I just opened my GearBest unit, and it does have a Novatek 96650 chip. Unfortunately I have made the same mistake, and so it doesn't work any more...

It looks that they changed Aptina AR330 to another incompatible sensor, and SW is stuck on camera-init process. Thus to repair it we need exact FW that is compatible to the new sensor.
Unfortunately I don't have such working camera to grab FW from it, and don't know one who plan to order it. If someone has working unit and can read it memory - I can try to grab SW from the damp.

@LOStheNERD - if you opened it already - try to disconnect the ribbon cable of the camera sensor and power-up it without sensor - just to see if any difference in start-up behavior.

I complained to gearbest, and they sent me a replacement unit.
It will probably be the same exact model.
I'll confirm the firmware version when it arrives, and I'll be very glad to extract it and upload it here, and if someone finds a way to extract the firmware.

@Helder: Only a way I know - see post #13 . If you find somebody who can read it memory - we can try to extract downloadable file from full image .

But if it's more easy to GearBest to send replacement instead of correct file - it looks that they also don't have this FW. :)

@EddieL that seems way to tricky for my knowledge. I'm an IT guy, can deal with software and hardware, but not soldering and stuff like that :)

@EddieL I have tried removing the ribbon cable and it still doesn't boot, freezes at the welcome screen.
Here's a picture of the internals if anybody is interested...
7NBMGSz.jpg

If anyone does manage to get hold of the Gearbest firmware, there's probably a lot of people who'd be very grateful for a copy, me included..

Back