gearbest dead after 2hrs?

andeee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, new to your forum! Anyway ..... recorded a very nice test on my 32gb card for about an hour. Glorious video, great GPS info. Then I came back to the car - just get the red charging light. Tried USB power at home with different cables and power outputs, nothing just the red light. Tried the 10 second power button reset, nothing. Also repeated with and without the TF card installed. Thoughts guys? or return to gearbest? cheers

There's no little tiny reset button right?

USB ports at home aren't good, often times they are underpowered (don't meet advertised specs)
Also many USB cable have very thin wires which also cause problems.
You should only confirm the camera is good using the included power supply for starters.
It's sounding like RMA time though, keep testing.

Hi, yes I did use their supplied cables and power converter. At home I tested using their other cable and my cyberpower 2.1A USB outlet... same problem so yep sounds like RMA time (hooray)
Kinda disappointing that this type of infant mortality doesnt get picked up in any qc testing, oh well

Hi, yes I did use their supplied cables and power converter. At home I tested using their other cable and my cyberpower 2.1A USB outlet... same problem so yep sounds like RMA time (hooray)
Kinda disappointing that this type of infant mortality doesnt get picked up in any qc testing, oh well

Been there done that, always a risk buying lower cost products from overseas. (bit of a gamble at times, difficult/expensive to return) 0805 has a better track record than the 0806, but anything is possible with electronics from time to time.

...always a risk buying lower cost products from overseas. (bit of a gamble at times, difficult/expensive to return)....
Agree. Saving a few dollars sounds good - until something happens, then not so much. This, and better support, is why I'm a big fan of buying local whenever possible. (In some cases 'local' can mean in the same country.)

Yeah you are of course both 100% right :)

I had a pretty good run with Banggood for about a year but my last few bigger items cr@pped out fairly promptly and the RMA process is not convenient.

I actually found out about gearbest after it being a recommended seller on one of the forums.

Is there a well regarded US seller of these sorts of items you can suggest? I am off Amazon for this sort of thing (too much fakery)

*****UPDATE - the red charging lamp is no longer on. It is officially toast

Is there a well regarded US seller of these sorts of items you can suggest? I am off Amazon for this sort of thing (too much fakery)...
@spytec and @Pier28 (both are forum members here). I've dealt with both (purchase and support) and had no issues. Have not had to deal with defective products from either so can't say first hand how that would go.

Mr Pier28, I checked out your site. It's true: you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I've been through 3 dashcams now... I really shouldnt be such a cheap ole bugger and just bite the bullet and get a decent one and move on with my life... OK well anyways I have kicked off the the return process with gearbest....

I have no idea how much it'll cost for me to ship from USA to CN but I bet it aint cheap!

Mr Pier28, I checked out your site. It's true: you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I've been through 3 dashcams now... I really shouldnt be such a cheap ole bugger and just bite the bullet and get a decent one and move on with my life... ...
When you buy quality :) it only hurts once - when you buy cheap it hurts every time you have to do it again... :(

Well for those of you who don;t read the small print (me!) here it is:

Thank you for your pictures

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience.

1)Return the items for a full refund or an exchange.

Please check our warranty return policy here

As you can see customer has to cover the shipping fees to send the item back. Once we receive the item we will refund the order in full.

2)Partial refund ( No return)

We can offer a partial refund of 50% your product value which is $34 on your wallet. This amount can be used for your future orders.

3)Resending a remplacement (No return)

We can resend you a replacement but we kindly ask you share %34 cost of item and the shipping fee.

Could you please let me know your decision?

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding

Best Regards

Shelley

***UPDATE - Sadly the replacement fared not much better. It lasted just over a week, conked out today. Same symptoms

***UPDATE - Sadly the replacement fared not much better. It lasted just over a week, conked out today. Same symptoms
I'm truly sorry about the bad experience you're having.

Your's is just another real world example of the hidden costs of buying based solely on price and why I'm such an advocate of buying 'local' from reputable dealers whenever possible.

Two failures with identical symptoms would cause most sellers to become somewhat suspicious of the buyer... but yep you're right, of course. You get what you pay for.

Actually our local costco is running a deal on garmin camera... might check it out. At least costco wont give me a hard time!

Two failures with identical symptoms would cause most sellers to become somewhat suspicious of the buyer... but yep you're right, of course. You get what you pay for.

Actually our local costco is running a deal on garmin camera... might check it out. At least costco wont give me a hard time!

Costco have the best return policy. However for Garmin Camera, price and after sales support, not so good. You could get better product and support for the price if you buy from local re-seller.

"Red light" problem solved, at least for me:) I had similar "red light" problem with my 0805 mini dash cam. I used my cam for a year without any problems. But one day I started my car and my cam didn't start - there was only red light shining, indicating charging. Power button didn't work, I couldn't start my camera. I also tried to hold power button for 15-30s to perform hard reset, but no success. I tried starting it up with and without SD card, again no success. I tried to connect it to my PC, byt PC didn't recognize any drive. Tried many USB cables and chargers but it didn't help, only red light... I read many articles on this, looking for some solution. I thought there is a problem with battery. So I decided to perform disassembly of my cam (following one of the threads on this forum about disassembly). I did the following 3 steps: 1) opened the casing 2) separated the two curcuit boards inside and 3) measured the voltage (3.17V) between the black and red wire leading from the battery. Then I put all parts together and camera started working!! Miracle :p Maybe separation of the two boards helped in my case.

Yeah you are of course both 100% right :)

I had a pretty good run with Banggood for about a year but my last few bigger items cr@pped out fairly promptly and the RMA process is not convenient.

I actually found out about gearbest after it being a recommended seller on one of the forums.

Is there a well regarded US seller of these sorts of items you can suggest? I am off Amazon for this sort of thing (too much fakery)

*****UPDATE - the red charging lamp is no longer on. It is officially toast
Ebay? They mention their guarantee if the seller doesn't satisfy. Gearbest prices change like the weather, and they are slow as flowing lava!

Back