Gearbest Dome G95A Ambarella A7LA50 2.7"1296P HD Dashcam Review

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
This dashcam is available at Gearbest for only $69.99 after coupon code GBG95A and free shipping.
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_128830.html

It features A7LA50 chip.

The control buttons are on the bottom just like G90.
It's similar look as G90 except the camera lens is not in the center.
It's very slim, even thinner than G90.

Here are pictures of the product:

DSC01329-G95A.jpg
DSC01331-G95A.jpg
DSC01332-G95A.jpg
Contents of the box:
DSC01333-G95A.jpg
Top of the dashcam has mini HDMI, mount clip, mini USB and AV out jack:
DSC01334-G95A.jpg
Nothing on this side:
DSC01335-G95A.jpg
Left side (looking from the back) has microSD port and microphone hole:
DSC01336-G95A.jpg
Bottom has all the controls similar to G90:
DSC01338-G95A.jpg
G95A on it's mount and suction cup:
DSC01351-G95A.jpg

Specifications
General
Brand Name: DOME
Model: G95A
Type : HD Car DVR Recorder, Full HD Dashcam
Chipset Name: Ambarella
Chipset : Ambarella A7LA50
Special Function: AV-OUT, HDMI
Storage
Max External Card Supported: TF 32G (not included)
Class Rating Requirements: Class 4 or Above
Display
Screen Size: 2.7inch
Screen Type: LCD
Power
Battery type: Built-in
Capacity : 150mAh
Charge Way : Car charger, USB charge by PC
Primary Info.
Wide Angle: 170 degree wide angle
Video/Image/Audio
Decode Format: H.264
Video Format: MOV
Video Resolution : 1269P (2304 x 1296), 1080P (1920 x 1080), 720P (1280 x 720)
Video System: PAL, NTSC
Video Output: AV-OUT, HDMI
Image Format : JPG
Audio System: Built-in microphone/speacker (AAC)
Functions
HDMI Output: Yes
Interface Type: AV-Out, HDMI
Language: Traditional Chinese, Dutch, Simplified Chinese, English, French, Russian, Deutsch
Dimension/Weight
Product Weight: 0.070 kg
Package Weight: 0.355 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 8.7 x 5.2 x 3.8 cm / 3.4 x 2 x 1.49 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 17.5 x 13.5 x 8.5 cm
Package Contents
Package Contents: 1 x Camcorder, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Car Charger, 1 x Suction Cup Mount, 1 x User Manual

Review to follow.

Last edited:
Here are comparison pictures against G90 and Mini 0806:

DSC01344-G95A.jpg
DSC01346-G95A.jpg
DSC01347-G95A.jpg

Files and size:
Overall bit rate: 18.4 Mbps so it's better/higher than original G90 A3 firmware that was around 15mbps.
VBR: 18mbps
Audio: 128Kbps
660mb for a 5 minute clip at 2560*1080p resolution.

Files and size.jpg

Here is a video clip from this morning in default setting, nothing touched in the menu...
Against the sun till 1:45 in the video so lots of sun glare but after that, it's as sharp as it gets, no audio (I'll add another video with mic on):

Audio Video quality: I'll compare G95A against G90 because they are very similar except the size and shape.
Audio is slightly better than G90 A7 but not as loud as other dashcams.
Video is almost exactly the same compared to G90.
Basically, if you don't want to spend little more for the G90, this is exact same dashcam for less money and bigger (at least looks bigger even though both mention 2.7") LCD screen. ;)
No focus issue.
All sides are in great focus and no warping either just like in G90 that eliminates fish eye effect in the corners that exists in mini 0806 for example.
License plates are easily readable on both corners. :D

Last edited:
Video with audio: Better audio than G90.
Watch in HD.
There is slight halo in the lights but it's same on G90 as well.

Some screenshots to show how clear and sharp the focus is on this G95A.
Click the image to view at full size.
From potholes to side van pool signboard to the building, light poles farther on the left, everything is sharp, clear and readable.
2014-10-25-04-12-36.MP4_20150221_082045.096.jpg

Left to right, everything is in sharp focus: 2014-10-25-04-12-36.MP4_20150221_082238.244.jpg

Very good quality except the right corner due to sunlight reflection of dashboard: 2014-10-25-11-52-33.MP4_20150221_081652.202.jpg
Once you see videos from G95A or G90 with de-warping technology, it feels little sad/bad to see other videos with fish eye effect regardless of how good the video is. :)

G95A at night.
Metering left at default (center).

Stupid youtube blocked video due to music, even classical music.
Looks like we can't upload any video that has music in the background. :mad:

Change quality to HD. From no street lights to some street lights to Walmart parking lot at the end.
Watch in highest quality available.

I changed metering to average and spot to see if dark areas are better since this camera like all other Dome cameras doesn't allow changing exposure. :(
I'll upload those videos soon.

Last edited:
As you can see, night videos are very good.

Here is another video with metering mode changed to Average:
I didn't see much difference at night. Maybe it makes difference during dawn, dusk when there is some light.
Watch in highest quality available in youtube.
Average:

And here is a video with metering mode changed to Spot:
When looking at raw video, Spot metering mode was darker than Average.
Spot:

Then back to the default 'Center' metering mode:
Center:

I think 'Center' metering mode is the best followed by 'Average' metering mode.

These all videos are in Non-HDR mode.
I'll take some videos with HDR and see how better the night videos look.

I compared night videos against Novatek 96650 based cameras and this G95A has much better details and less artifacts.

More to follow...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Exactly what I need for travels recording. But with a real permanent holder, sticky and small.

Exactly what I need for travels recording. But with a real permanent holder, sticky and small.

If you need smaller with sticky mount, get mini 0806 from gearbest:

I think there is a coupon to drop the price little bit.

You may have to wait little as I hear, 2nd batch is running out of stock so check with them first if they have it or have to wait for 3rd batch.

I meant a small mount, not a small cam...

I considered the Minis a few weeks ago but for some reason it was not suitable, I've forgotten why.):rolleyes:
(I posted in the forum but my messages were erased.)

I really love the de-warping function. Spares time hugely in post-processing .
But I need an orientable mount that stays steady as a rock when aimed, i.e. probably, glued.

Last edited:
Side-by-side with Z7.

DSC01821-small.jpg

To help keep things a little cleaner I hope you don't mind that I add to your thread over making a new one.

I also received a G95A from Gearbest to take a look at. I unpacked it yesterday and tossed it in one of the cars to go for a ride. While I have not looked over all my video yet the one thing I am really liking with this G95A over the original G90 is that while the mount is not a T-Slot as I had hoped I am still able to do this
I meant a small mount, not a small cam...
This might be what you were looking for.

PbhZgsO.jpg

I popped together a Vicovation 3M stick mount with the G95A ball mount, and it stays in place really well even without the lock washer.

RljFYK5.jpg

QL17dGL.jpg

yYehCTZ.jpg

6cl6ZOF.jpg

To help keep things a little cleaner I hope you don't mind that I add to your thread over making a new one.
No problem.
Looks good.
I just don't like tape mounts unless it's something that I plan to keep in the car for a long time.
It's a pain to take it off specially when I have multiple dashcams that I have to swap for testing.

It's a pain to take it off specially when I have multiple dashcams that I have to swap for testing.
Thanks
Yeah I understand that. That is why I push hard for most things to have the T-Slot style mount. I already had this mount up from a prior Vico WF1 install and I have been slowly moving over to dual lock tape for my mounts.

I have to admit it is short. :)
Although I'm not that confident of that ball's steadiness without a ring screw on it.
Taking out/inserting the cards everyday could slowly move the cam I'm afraid.

167dac2679ff0a77b0f0d60addbf41d9.jpg

Back window in this car is tinted pretty dark.

QIv8CoW.png

ngjJuLl.png

8JbghGq.png

Strange color R35 GTR I seen the other day.

Last edited:
Okay so as a small Easter present to everyone a few more notes on this.

Mine is running a firmware labeled G95-ZX-A750-950-N7H

There seems to be a Menu setting labeled Night Light Setting that I had just noticed is set to On as well as a 1080P HDR Resolution setting so I guess those little beads on the front are IR LED lights.
There does not seem to be any GPS settings for this model so I have refrained from sticking my G90 GPS receiver in the A/V hole.

The form factor itself is not bad. I have taken my 0806 down and been using the G95A in its place with the mount shown above. The mount locking clip is a little weak so I don't have much hope for it from me taking the camera in and out to pull review pictures and footage, but again the mount is better then a regular G90.

I wish the IR LEDs had not been added, and I also wish the lens barrel was not chrome. other then that the cameras shape is not to bad.

As mentioned above This dashcam is available at Gearbest for only $69.99 after coupon code GBG95A and includes free shipping. So far so good on my end for the most part. as I have mentioned a few times I like the mount better and would recomend it over the regular G90 because of this.

kLnEDmt.jpg

I had to turn the mount the other way to keep the top of the power cord from hitting it, again this is a Vicovation stick mount with the stock G95A mount stuck in it for a more stealthy install. Hopefully Blackview will take note and include a slightly better fitting 3M stick mount with the G95A. This one sits fine as is, but I can not get the lock washer around it the ball is big enough to keep the camera from moving though.

1xpoArS.jpg

It is a little more noticeable then usual because of my white backed heavy duty Dual Lock tape the same that holds my 0806 in.

G7k7hYb.jpg

yOI8uZ3.jpg

ZxrX6yK.jpg

I'll try to have more pictures and video up this afternoon.

@CheckYourLights
Yes, IR LED's don't make sense in dashcams as the chrome and silver colored flashy things but manufacturers still do for some reason.

For the usb cable hitting the mount, you can use a right angled mini-usb tip.

What's on top of your car? Not discrete... ;) did you drill through the roof to mount that?

@CheckYourLights did you drill through the roof to mount that?

Nooo that's a brand new car.

I ran it through the sun roof and used dual lock tape just to see what the video would look like.

I'm on taptalk but I made a C3 roof mount thread in the C3 section
Also been using a PNY 64GB card formatted Fat32 with no issues.

Last edited:
Is there any firmware update for G95A? Mine is G95-ZX-A750-950-N7H.
Sound quality is very poor with scratching sounds.
Body is heating moderately especially lens area even in cool weather. I will see what will happen on summer with our temperature which is getting 40-45 Celsius degree.

Back