General Dashcam Questions

FG21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770
I have decided on a dash cam, the Thinkware F770 (front and rear cameras). I have some newbie questions :)

1. How important is it to hard wire? I will not use it at home (already have home security) or at work (secure parking), just when out and about. My plug ins work while my car is off. Will it be fine to just leave it plugged into the cig lighter while I am shopping, etc., for up to at most 2 or 3 hours? Running continuously while I am out of the car is fine with me.

2. How mobile is it? Meaning, can I take it in or out of the car easily if I want to?

Any general feedback on this thing appreciated.

Powering a dash cam for a few hours off your 12V cigarette lighter port should be fine but it may depend to a degree on how many other plug-in gadgets you are running at the same time. Too much current draw might present a problem.

I love my hardwire and use it as you explained. I got a on/off switch installed and I have no cut off kit. I drive a 2016 grand cherokee and I can have 25 hours (when new) of run time before my battery is damaged...even then some drive time on the highway (20 or so minutes) will charge that back up. That will vary based on what you drive, your battery, how much amperage your cam is drawing etc.. you can get a free battery test at alot places like pep boys. In general dash cams are there to stay but I am not sure what mount you will have and how easy it can be removed. You will be able to take it off the mount, but I leave mine in.

The only thing I plug in is my phone, and I have another plug in for that, but I rarely have it plugged in when not driving.

I have a 30-40 minute freeway commute morning and night, and the car is a 2013 Ford Escape. I will probably have it hard wired in eventually, but I am funny about how things look so finding the right person may take time.

The only thing I plug in is my phone, and I have another plug in for that, but I rarely have it plugged in when not driving.

I have a 30-40 minute freeway commute morning and night, and the car is a 2013 Ford Escape. I will probably have it hard wired in eventually, but I am funny about how things look so finding the right person may take time.

As dash cams become more popular many shops that specialize in installing audio equipment and other types of automotive electronics are beginning to offer dash cam installation or at least warm up to the idea. That would be the first place to look for the right professional to do the job.

Thanks! I see BestBuy in my town does it. I also work in construction (accounting, not field) and know a low voltage tech or 5 that might could do it for me.

Thanks! I see BestBuy in my town does it. I also work in construction (accounting, not field) and know a low voltage tech or 5 that might could do it for me.

Sounds like you should be all set in that regard. I think after you've spent some more time exploring this site and once you gain some experience with your new dash cam you will be better able to explain to whomever does a permanent hardwired installation for you about your preferences, requirements, possible common pitfalls etc, to someone who might be adept at car electronics but may not be familiar with all the finer points of dash cams and how people use them.

I love my hardwire and use it as you explained. I got a on/off switch installed and I have no cut off kit.

I did that for a while...until the first time I forgot to click it to the off position. :(

then I re-evaluated and installed a battery discharge prevention kit. I feel better about it knowing that I won't come back to a flat battery. I'm hoping your memory (and luck) is much better than mine!

I will probably have it hard wired in eventually, but I am funny about how things look so finding the right person may take time.

You are not the only one, some things i am pretty anal with, and other not that different i couldn't care less about.

And finding the right person :D i am 50 years old, last time i had a girlfriend i was 17, pathetic or me having too high standards towards myself and others.
I also only have one friend as i ask the same high standard of those, and off course i do not ask of others what i am not willing to bring myself.

You know, @abarth makes a good point about the idea of installing a battery discharge prevention device. The last thing you want is the possibility that you could come back to your car and find you can't start it because your battery drained down more than you were expecting during your absence because you were away longer than anticipated, forgot to turn off your camera when you got home, your car battery isn't holding its optimal charge or whatever. A battery discharge prevention device basically keeps an eye on your car's battery and shuts off the camera if the voltage drops to the point where you wouldn't be able to start the car. Considering how you wish to use your dash cam this is an investment that may be worth considering.

It would be worth your while to do some reading up on these devices on the excellent page dedicated to the subject here on DashCamTalk......HERE.

yeah it works quite well, better than a Power Magic Pro

Better than a PMP?....... interesting. If I am understanding correctly, then the camera simply monitors the voltage (12V) and shuts itself down at a preset value. If so, then this seems like a feature that would be relatively easy to implement.

Thats what i have been thinking too, if you have 12 V to the camera, then on the input side you should be able to install a little chip to monitor voltage and cut it at some selected threshold.
A guy like would lead himself to think such a feature might be part of some off the shelf power regulator IC

Then again i can imagine a lot of things, i wont even rule out me painting myself into a corner.

A cool product concept for a chip like that might be a multi-port USB cigarette lighter adapter that would shut down whatever you leave plugged into it if the car battery voltage drops too low, assuming it was an always on port.

Better than a PMP?....... interesting. If I am understanding correctly, then the camera simply monitors the voltage (12V) and shuts itself down at a preset value. If so, then this seems like a feature that would be relatively easy to implement.
Has the same features as a power magic pro but better implementation and control

Has the same features as a power magic pro but better implementation and control

I'm aware that this camera is generally well regarded but this feature and what you say about its execution makes it sound especially attractive.

As a camera they're as limited as other Korean dual channel models in regard to image quality and low bitrate results, they do however have a very good parking mode, good power control and a good app, for parking mode they would certainly be one of the best options at the moment

I know my previous Lukas cameras had this built-in, too. but that still required the wiring to ground / ignition / battery just like a battery discharge prevention device.

does the F770 do all that with regular plug-in 12V power supply or does it require the same 3-wire setup?

Back