Generic LS300W out of focus. -Updated with videos-

fernando

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
i have owned several cheap dashcams, recently i decided to buy a "good" one.
i searched a lot and found the ls300w... also find out that was too expensive for me and decided to buy a generic one, like the one is listed on bangood.

well.. i received days ago and find out that the image is really blur, totally out of focus.
i have read that in case of hight temperature, the image distorts, but in this case, even the first time, the image is out of focus.

i dont know what to do.. send it back is risky, because of the time and the risk to receive another one ot of focus.

what do u suggest guys..
the lens are focusable? i mean, in the image (of the camera opened) it looks like i can focus the lens. but it dont kwnow.. its really anoying.

The GT300W I purchased from FoxOffer arrived badly out of focus. Rather than send it back I opened the case and refocused the lens. It's not hard to do. I used some tape to secure the lens in place temporarily until I was satisfied that I was happy with the new focus point after testing it out for awhile. Once I was sure I had the focus adjusted to where I wanted it I used a small drop of Super Glue to secure the threads in place. With a small drop of glue carefully applied it is still possible to refocus the lens at a future time if there should ever be a need such as if the camera were ever to expand or contract during temperature extremes. (That never did happen by the way but I wasn't sure at the time.)

thanks for your answers..
well.. i tried to open with partial success :(
when i was opening from the side, i dont know how broke the lens from the base..
i used cyanocrylate glue to put it on place, but after, the sensor got dust, and some filaments of glue, so the image looks with dust..
after all i was able to focus correctly but now the image looks bad...
im not able to put some samples because i dont have with me the cables or the card adapter..
but im going to show you how it looks.. u can see the glued parts in the bottom of the lens

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    911.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    931.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    775.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    804.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    930 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    817.4 KB · Views: 30
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad luck! :( Yeah, super glue can be tricky and damaging to work with especially around sensitive electronics. At least the camera didn't cost an arm and a leg and you'll know better to be more gentle next time you tackle a repair such as this. Live and learn, we've all been there. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad luck! :( Yeah, super glue can be tricky and damaging to work with especially around sensitive electronics. At least the camera didn't cost an arm and a leg and you'll know better to be more gentle next time you tackle a repair such as this. Live and learn, we've all been there. :)
Glad to hear that im not the only one.. :) im going to buy compressed air to blow that dust and then re-focus and post some samples. Thanks for reading and sorry for my english. Im from mexico

Glad to hear that im not the only one.. :) im going to buy compressed air to blow that dust and then re-focus and post some samples. Thanks for reading and sorry for my english. Im from mexico

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your English. Your writing is better than some native English speakers here.

Just to keep uptodate you guys.

after all the mess i made because of superglue... i took apart the lens again and find out that the IR filter (i think it is, im not sure) was permanently damaged with a white coat, maybe because of the cyanocrylate... tried to clean it with alcohol no succes, then with acetone and it worked, but the video still looked really blurred,
i had no option than remove that last glass (IR filter), of course it was glued to the plastic so i had to broke into pieces.. then i used acetone again to clean the last piece of glass and thats it.. i put everything back in place, readjust focus and star recording.

this is how it looked when i received, out of focus video. (1080p available)

and this is how it looks now in daylight.. because it has no IR filter, the video looks with light tone of red.
now it is in focus (compared with the first video)
the left side is blurred, i think because the sensor its also damaged with superglue :(

the last video in night.. it has a lot of lens glare from incoming traffic, i think because there is no IR filter.

im really happy because i was able to fix it.. now i can use it again :)

Looks good! At least you were able to make the camera usable.

Yes, dichroic IR cut filters can be delicate because the coatings are easily damaged. Unfortunately, it is hard to find inexpensive replacements for dash cam IR filters. I removed one from an old dead dash cam and mounted it on a 170mm lens I bought on eBay and it was tricky to work with.

Hey, good find FourEyes! When I searched eBay I could only find filters that were far too expensive for dashcam modification or repair.

Dashmellow, i have an old dashcam, im going to open it and take out that filter is its possible..

Foureyes. thanks for the link unfortunately im in mexico so it would be more expensive to buy that filter instead of a new dash cam :(
btw. i was looking the pictures of the filter and is a circle, in my LS300W (generic from banggood) the filter was square shape and very, very delicate.
im afraid that trying to cut that filter is going to be hard without damaging it.

it looks like this

FGCBWWEH68GSVK2.MEDIUM.jpg

It's not even that bad without the IR filter, good job anyway. :)

anyone knows where i can find a new lens for the camera?
dx or bangood? i dont find anything similar :S

Those are pretty good

Back