Genuine Dash Cam Review Needed

Acumen Digital Rearview

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm Yihan and our company just released a digital rearview mirror dash cam on Amazon and our website. We just got reviewed by Dashcamcar.com And we would like to invite more reviewers to test our products. Please PM me or email me, if you're interested. :)

email: yihan@arirobot.com
71sbNmn8zUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing every mirror cam I have seen lacks is a self darkening mirror. It needs to darken so headlights do not blind the driver. A push button to darken the mirror would be a great feature. I have a mirror cam that is perfectly adjusted to avoid headlights. Rear views require turning my head to see behind me.

The one thing every mirror cam I have seen lacks is a self darkening mirror.
there are some around but not many, there's a couple of reasons for that, the auto dimming function is patented by Gentex, for most the option isn't available, for those that have access and can offer it as an option the auto dimming function is as expensive as the mirror itself so it generally doubles the cost and drives the pricing to a point where people won't pay for it anyway, damned if you do, damned if you don't

That patent must be close to expiration. When it expires the price should drop. Hopefully then dashcam mirrors will be much friendlier to the eyes.

That patent must be close to expiration.
no, by the time it does there's unlikely to be anyone interested in building their own version as there's not a lot of money to be saved anyway, Gentex has scale that no other manufacturer is going to come close to, they supply 90% of the market

my wifes car has an auto dimming mirror and I hate it, much prefer the old manual type with a lever, the auto ones go dark when they shouldn't at times, reversing out of a car park etc

The best use of a rear-view mirror is watching the reversed image of the "Welcome To California" sign on the opposite side of the highway grow smaller and smaller until it disappears :LOL:

Beyond erratic function, auto-dimming mirrors seem to be either always too dark or not dark enough at night. I too prefer the old mechanical ones which didn't have that problem.

I think a "mirror cam" would be ideal with a few alterations of the current design concepts. Maybe one day I'll do it the right way and share my thoughts with pics here ;)

Phil

Out of the box thought...

Could a mirror cam be manufactured with a windshield mount using a standard glue on windshield mirror tab AND use a lever to darken at night like a normal mirror does without moving the camera?

Out of the box thought...

Could a mirror cam be manufactured with a windshield mount using a standard glue on windshield mirror tab AND use a lever to darken at night like a normal mirror does without moving the camera?
not possible using the current designs but is doable, the camera needs to mount on the same axis as the mount bracket and stay fixed while the rest of the mirror pivots, a lot of work to achieve the result though

I have a non dimming dashcam mirror in one of my cars but we used a tinted glass, it's enough to take the edge off at night without having to have it dim or use the reflecting glass method

Mirror not needed- it's already there. So we only need to add a camera..... :geek:

Phil

Back