Germany: Trailer gets unhitched in front of a semi

Okay :oops: Aber warum ( but why ) did he drive his truck into the fields :confused:
A place here in DK where Philippine and other far east truckers lived in squealer have just been raided, working for a Danish company hired in their polish branch they was driving trucks ( legally ) for around 20 DKkr / hour, which are far less than you can make having a paper route as a kid.
I am so embarrassed bloodsucking companies like that are allowed to exist here in Denmark & EU, and i dont understand why anyone would use such a company.

Around 100.000 truckers from all over the world have been imported into the EU in the past years, cuz it seem like no one here want to be a trucker, so we need those badly.
Getting a FEDEX parcel yesterday the girl that came with it ( very cute looking ) dident understand a word of Danish, so me hitting on her at once was a waste.

I have done a little reading on this and apparently in Germany, trailers don't need a safety chain. In the event of a break off, the trailer would still be pulled somewhat by the vehicle as opposed to having a runaway train. My family had a recreational trailer from the mid 70's to early 80's and I can recall we had such a thing. Also when we were pulling a boat

It appears the trailer's brakes locked when it detached, so I'm thinking it had safety chain attached to a "break-away" device- those are designed to function that way.

Phil

Okay :oops: Aber warum ( but why ) did he drive his truck into the fields :confused:
You shouldn't be following so close that you are unable to stop if the vehicle in front puts it's brakes on, even if that vehicle has surprisingly effective brakes, so the collision was entirely the truck drivers fault, he had been behind the trailer long enough to have dropped back a bit.

Looked like maybe the trailers brakes locked up before it detached, maybe it was the brakes that caused the detachment. Then the trailer went under the trucks right wheel causing that to lock up and turn the truck, even if the truck had been able to straighten back up, at that speed it would likely have rolled so maybe the field was the best choice, he wasn't going to hit anyone else down there.

Bit surprised at the enormous crane, must have been an expensive job, I would have expected a winch to get the truck back up.

Of course they need to blur out the license plate on the trailer, in case it's innocent.

It appears the trailer's brakes locked when it detached, so I'm thinking it had safety chain attached to a "break-away" device- those are designed to function that way.

Looking in Reddit, you may be correct. Its been over 30 years since my dad pulled an RV trailer or boat trailer, so I can't recall all the parts.

You shouldn't be following so close that you are unable to stop if the vehicle in front puts it's brakes on, even if that vehicle has surprisingly effective brakes, so the collision was entirely the truck drivers fault, he had been behind the trailer long enough to have dropped back a bit.

I have had cars break down all of sudden. Also, if I see something a little suspicious or wrong with another vehicle, I Increase the space.

Of course they need to blur out the license plate on the trailer, in case it's innocent.

There have been a few threads about dash cams in Germany and their legality.

From https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/14505/are-dashcams-legal-in-germany
This device is legal as long as you do not publish the video. In case you want to, you need to pixelate license plates and faces. Also you are not allowed to have a specific person "in focus", meaning: You are not allowed to sit in the car and point it at specific people.​
From Wikipedia
  • In Germany,[13] while small cameras for personal use in vehicles are allowed, posting footage from them on social-media sites is considered a violation of privacy and thus forbidden, if personal data is not blurred in the footage. Recently, the Federal Court of Justice ruled that although the permanent recording of traffic events is inadmissible under national data protection law, the recordings made may nevertheless be used as evidence in civil proceedings (after careful consideration of the interests involved).[14] It can be assumed that this case law will also apply under the new basic European Data Protection Regulation.

That safety chain, which trailers must have here in order to stop if it come off the hook, well most Danes dont seem to bother with it.
Hell i have even see people with a mini digger on a trailer and it was not secured in any way, imagine what would happen if he had to brake hard or something like that.
It might well have been that the trailer locked up the front L wheel, sure seem that way, but i just dont get how it should / could do that as i would think it just became a pancake, but doing that if it flatten the tire then i assume it do take some skill keeping it on the strait.

I always keep as far away as possible from trailers, ideally by overtaking them quickly. Thankfully they are very rare in my area, so treating them as a serious hazard is a practical approach.

I can't believe that trucker felt comfortable that close to it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back