Getting IFFY results in Parking Mode

Based on the above answers and other user comments, it is not user related. Don't try and dismiss a valid issue by saying user related. Memory card is good. Firmware is good. Most of the time I do not even need to review videos (no time). Only when something happens, then I check and that's when I find out the cam is just not reliable in Auto-Detection Parking Mode.

In low bit-rate Parking Mode, it appears to be reliable, as it just keeps recording. But not so, in Auto Event Detection. Any memory card issues will also show up in low bit-rate Parking Mode. I am going to have to use this low bit-rate mode (continuous recording) from now on. Each file seems to cover 10 minutes duration so for 1 hour parked, I just need to look thru 6 files. 6 x 10 minutes is 1 hour. If vandalism is in front, just check front cam. If rear, check rear cam footage.

But will forget Auto Even Detection IF I want to capture everything.

The answers above address Motion Detection. Motion Detection is unreliable, not just on the Viofo, but on other brands, too. I wouldn't ever own a camera that simply relies on motion detection and/or motion detection with buffered parking mode. Meaning it captures X seconds before and after incident.

I have never had my A129 Duo fail with low bitrate parking mode. I own two of them. I don't see anyone above complaining about low bitrate parking. Again, I'm not ass kissing Viofo, because we have an acrimonious history. But I also won't point the finger, where it's undeserving.

The point here is do not use Auto Event Detection. Use Low Bitrate. Yes, Viofo offered Auto Event Detection, but unfortunately it's not great. This is why everyone here recommends you use Low Bitrate instead.

To help minimize the length of files, change loop recording. I believe the options are 1 minute, 3 minute, 5 minute, and 10 minute. I usually set my cameras to 3 or 5 minutes. This will break the files up into smaller chunks and easier to view if there's an event.

Hi. Thanks for the info. Let me understand this correctly.

1) Forget about using Auto Event Detection which is supposed to ne motion detection activated recording, But it doesn't work well. On any brand of dashcam.

2) Use low bit-rate which is basically, recording all the time. Not motion activated.

You wrote:
To help minimize the length of files, change loop recording. I believe the options are 1 minute, 3 minute, 5 minute, and 10 minute. I usually set my cameras to 3 or 5 minutes. This will break the files up into smaller chunks and easier to view if there's an event. Why is it easier to view? I ask because if you park your car for 2 hours, you will have to go thru a lot more files to FIND which file contains the event. Whereas, if the files are longer, you can just fast-forward say, thru a 10 minute file instead of going thru 2 files (if each were 5 minutes duration). I am trying to understand what you are saying here, on why a shorter loop helps in locating which file the event occurred in?

Looking back at my files in low bit-rate, 10 minute files seem to be suitable for me. Less files to go thru. So, I get 6 files of 10 minutes each per hour of recording. Then I just fast-forward thru the 10 minute file to see if I detect anyone near my car.

Are you saying it's better to shorten the files (you'll end up having more files but they'll each be shorter in duration)?

Hi. Thanks for the info. Let me understand this correctly.

1) Forget about using Auto Event Detection which is supposed to ne motion detection activated recording, But it doesn't work well. On any brand of dashcam.

2) Use low bit-rate which is basically, recording all the time. Not motion activated.

You wrote:
To help minimize the length of files, change loop recording. I believe the options are 1 minute, 3 minute, 5 minute, and 10 minute. I usually set my cameras to 3 or 5 minutes. This will break the files up into smaller chunks and easier to view if there's an event. Why is it easier to view? I ask because if you park your car for 2 hours, you will have to go thru a lot more files to FIND which file contains the event. Whereas, if the files are longer, you can just fast-forward say, thru a 10 minute file instead of going thru 2 files (if each were 5 minutes duration). I am trying to understand what you are saying here, on why a shorter loop helps in locating which file the event occurred in?

Looking back at my files in low bit-rate, 10 minute files seem to be suitable for me. Less files to go thru. So, I get 6 files of 10 minutes each per hour of recording. Then I just fast-forward thru the 10 minute file to see if I detect anyone near my car.

Are you saying it's better to shorten the files (you'll end up having more files but they'll each be shorter in duration)?

Changing the loop recording from 1,3, 5, or 10 minutes creates smaller files. This is good for several reasons:

1. If your camera or memory card ever has an issue, it will be a much smaller file that gets corrupted. Rather than a 10 minute file being lost, you'll have a 3 or 5 minute file.

2. While I realize setting loop record to 10 minutes will mean less files to navigate, I personally find it more difficult. You'll have to wait longer for these files to load while streaming via the Cameras "Wifi". They take longer to download due to file size. And take up far more space. Even if you put the memory card into your pc, you're left with large files that need trimmed down to send out in the event of an accident or incident.

#1 though is the main reason to use shorter file record times and reduce loop recording. #2 is a mere preference.

Motion Detection mode for sure is unreliable in case of TWO cameras used.
Some users report about stable Motion Detection mode with ONE camera.
If You use TWO cameras, the most stable Motion Detection scenario is FW v1.5 + LowBitrate (later than 1.5 versions are more laggish).

Last edited:
Motion Detection mode for sure is unreliable in case of TWO cameras used.
Some users reports about stable Motion Detection mode with ONE camera.
If You use TWO cameras, the most stable Motion Detection scenario is FW v1.5 + LowBitrate (later than 1.5 versions are more laggish).

Yes. Firmware version 1.5 is the most stable. I still recommend against motion detection and only recommend using low bitrate. As I believe is the general consensus.

Back