Getting poor images from Lukas 7900 ACE

High Jazzist looking at your video sample it seems something is not right ....My 7900 certainly shows a lot clearer both inside and outside the car I am trying to upload a sample to dropbox at the moment and will post if all goes well.......Ipol :D I bought the camera 6 months or so ago through apple ct at the time.

Lukas have said that my camera has a focus problem and needs replacement and to contact my reseller. Could be an expensive mistake from Lukas for me if I have to pay to send it back to Korea. I have emailed Apple CT.

:-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Jazzist

My 7900 is very similar to yours. The focus is terrible. Did you receive another from Lukas?

Not yet, still without a camera (4 weeks so far).

Nb. 3 weeks of that was waiting for it to get there, should work out at 2 weeks processing in Korea which includes the reseller sending it to Qrontech and receiving the replacement to send to me. So pretty good service I think/hope. There is the postage cost of sending it back but I'd rather do that whilst its in warranty than fix myself. I'm still a big Lukas fan, everyone makes mistakes, the product is very solid overall especially the firmware. Looking at what else is around and you quickly realise "the grass is always greener", not much else comes close. With the big box behind the mirror in my car I start to place more importance on form factor, the ones that beat Lukas here are Möbius and Guardtrak, neither are on paper [to me] better cameras though (Guardtrak looks to be equivalent but expensive esp. If you compare to the 7700).

Last edited:
@ Jazzist I second your sentiments regarding lukas cameras, a couple of times I have accidentally dropped my 7900 ( and no NOT after a glass or two of wine) from a height of around a metre onto hard surfaces.It still works perfectly I remove it each time I leave the car the snap/lock tape makes it an easy operation. Ipol

So I just got my new camera!!!

I originally sent it on Jan 27th and it arrived today 20th March so took 2 months overall. That was with many emails backwards and forwards which did help speed things up (eg they said they'd let me know when it arrived but only when I asked did I get a reply - "yes it arrived yesterday" which prompted them to actually send it to Lukas!).

Looks like they sent me a brand new camera with the protector still on the lens and the old AND new mounts in the box. Looks like a proper English version not the Korean box etc. I got from Apple-CT (who was quite a bit cheaper), not that it matters much. So, guess it's up to you if you have a focus issue. Fix yourself or wait 2 months. At least I didn't invalidate any warranty and I now have a brand new camera with all the bits including the updated mount for free.

Now I just have to decide whether or not to use it or sell it and use the money towards something else. The only other camera that I like the look of at the moment is the GuardTrak and maybe some of the new Lukas models (that aren't available yet..). Money is tight and the more expensive GuardTrak isn't out yet so I'm leaning towards using the new 7900 for now / another year or more. Lukas are still the only manufacturer other than, I think, FineVu and GuardTrak with a proper/automated parking mode. Plus, I know the firmware on the 7900 is rock stable, yes it had the trip distance bug for a while and the image quality has been evolving with FW updates but the camera has never crashed in nearly a year's use.

Last edited:
For all their faults (focus) the Lukas hardware build quality and firmware reliability is second to none. This statement follows disassembly of a 7500 and a 7700 to fix focus. I can't believe I still like them over others!

Back