Ghost image with HDR turned off

ipollen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 (3 Channel)
Hello all... First post here and looking for some guidance on whether this is normal image quality with HDR turned off.
From what I have read before purchasing the A139, I expected to see some ghosting / double image with HDR turned on but these images are when HDR is turned off (according to the app)

I am running latest firmware v1.6, 30fps, at present only the front and internal cams are running.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

Attachments

• 2022-06-06 (7)_LI.jpg
    2022-06-06 (7)_LI.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 2022-06-06 (5)_LI.jpg
    2022-06-06 (5)_LI.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 2022-06-06_LI.jpg
    2022-06-06_LI.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
It didn't used to do that!

I suspect your firmware has temporal noise reduction turned on, not related to HDR... not good for reading number plates, as you have found!

I think I'll suggest that you try an older firmware, but I'm not certain about compatibility with new cameras, so you might encounter more problems and have to ask Viofo to send you the original firmware for your camera. Probably OK, but don't try it if you have limited time or need a working dashcam in the near future!

Is anyone else seeing this issue with the latest or recent firmwares?

Hi Nigel,
The camera arrived with v1.5 but stupidly I immediately updated the firmware without trying v1.5 so have nothing to compare it with.
I raised a support ticket yesterday evening so interested to see what they suggest.
I will enable HDR later today to see if it is any better / worse / different.

I'm surprised nobody else has complained about this issue, there seem to be a lot of people using V1.6, and if you downloaded V1.6 rather than it coming with the camera then presumably your firmware is the same as theirs.

Maybe I will update my A139 and do some testing...

Keep this thread updated if you find anything interesting...

It doesn't look like an HDR effect to me, but it would be interesting to see some low light images...

I have not seen that on my A139, but i might also be a bit behind on the firmware.
I will see if i can do a static test tome time later today ( the camera are no longer in my car )

That would be great thank you Kamkar.
VIOFO support have replied and suggested it is distortion due to the extreme 140 degree FOV but it is obviously not. They have requested the original video if I still think there is a problem, which there is ;-)
I will keep the thread updated when they reply.

it seem like i am on the 1.6 _0721 firmware.
Anyways i will update to what ever newest and official now and see how it goes.

Yeah seem the official FW is now V1.6_20220106, i will have that on the camera shortly.
Just using single camera and 1440/30 - max bitrate no WDR/HDR ASO pretty basic settings

Yes V1.6_20220106 is the firmware I updated the unit with.
I have tried 1440/30 normal & high bitrate HDR off, 3min loop

Okay the camera is running in the south facing living room window now, no sun though so it do not have extraordinary amounts of light to work with, but i recon it will be good enough to see if i experience the same ghosting on cars passing by 2 floors below,
I use maximum bitrate always, also now, but if i see nothing i will try other bitrates tomorrow

That's great, that setup should show it. A car passing in front of me yesterday showed two sets of verticals as it passed. The door pillars and filler cap clearly showed ghost outlines.
I have now sent VIOFO support the original video so waiting to hear what they say.

I've updated my A139, and it doesn't appear to have the issue, so I'm a bit puzzled. There is a slight second image from the noise reduction, but it doesn't look like yours.

Could you upload your original video file, or another smallish one showing the issue, to google drive or equivalent so that I can have a look?

(You can PM me a link if you don't want it public.)

How strange... here is a Google Drive link to the 3min clip. There are lots of examples during this clip.
No problem with it being public.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wnruFLGWnAtBK2lOd12Z-A_wJ2VH_rhy/view?usp=sharing
There are definitely double exposures in that file:
1654610726910.png

And they appear to be caused by the HDR feature.

Can I suggest you go into the setup and reset the default settings, then just to be certain it is fully reset, press the reset button (on the left side of the case labeled "R"), then use it like that for a test, without changing any settings.

With HDR off, it shouldn't produce the above image. Shouldn't do quite that with HDR on either!

Edit: Actually, press the reset button first, then reset to default settings.

I will try that and report back. Thank you for confirming I am not seeing things :confused:

For fear of repeating myself I wonder if HDR is the same code as the V3 ?

I was told, ages ago, that HDR on the V3, introduced from version 2.0, was not off/on but low/high so never fully off.

Maybe get some Viofo feedback whether it's still the same.

That's the reason I use version 1.03 because WDR, not HDR, is off, and it shows in still frames.

Thank you for confirming I am not seeing things :confused:
Well sometimes video players can do stupid things, but this is definitely in the file.
Seems like a decent image otherwise :)

For fear of repeating myself I wonder if HDR is the same code as the V3 ?

I was told, ages ago, that HDR on the V3, introduced from version 2.0, was not off/on but low/high so never fully off.
Good point, I've not had a good look at the HDR on the A139. Although a in a quick test with HDR On, I can't see any effect! Maybe I need to wait until dark?

Before doing a reset I thought I would try running at 60fps.
On my usual commute home with speeds up to 70mph, not a single double ghost image was recorded. Not even on lamp posts at the extreme edge of frame at 70mph.

I will try a reset in the morning to see if it cures the problem at 30fps.
I see most recommend running at 30fps but what are the drawbacks of 60fps?

Before doing a reset I thought I would try running at 60fps.
On my usual commute home with speeds up to 70mph, not a single double ghost image was recorded. Not even on lamp posts at the extreme edge of frame at 70mph.

I will try a reset in the morning to see if it cures the problem at 30fps.
I see most recommend running at 30fps but what are the drawbacks of 60fps?
Camera will drop to 30fps once you connect the rear camera anyway.

Doh! I forgot that :rolleyes: time for a reset then, fingers crossed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mentadent A139 2