Gidday from Melbourne - Australia

Helen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello All,

Thank heaven for forums like this one! Going a bit crazy and hope someone can help!

Don't know a lot about them [that's what brought me to this site]. Which dash cam to buy for my car - wow so many to choose from!

Not a techo and don't have any real knowledge about dash cams, but after hours of reading am leaning towards either the Blackvue DR650GW Duel or Cowon AW2 Duel. Anyway any help on deciding would be greatly appreciated and helpful, thanks.

Cheers Helen

Last edited:
Blackvue video quality is questionable at night unless you install the custom hacked Russian firmware. (Then it's much improved but not very straight forward to update from what I've gathered) You might not be up for the challenge of configuring wifi etc as well if you're not a techie.

Gidday Helen, welcome to the forum.

You seem to be looking for a dual system, and that is by no means a bad idea.
Its just that at the moment there is fjew to choose from that will give you really good bang for your AUD, and the ones that is out have more or less all been plagued with some teething problems.
The ones that is here allso all seem to have a pretty large front camera ( main unit ) which can be unfortunate if you like me wish to have your camera in the car all the time.
Even the best designed mounts for the cameras get to be a pain to work with over time, might not be the mount itself but then it is pluggin in and unpluggin wires before and after each ride.

You could do what so many of us have done,get 2 single cameras, only minus with that setup is you have to get in the back to retrive SD card if you need to get some footage from that camera.

Or you could first get 1 camera for the front, and then pass that on to a loved one when you upgrade to the optimal dual channel setup.
I think within the next year there will be a plentora of really good dual camera on the market, and the ones that is here allready will have matured even more.

If you are unstoppeable in getting your front and rear covered right now, and you wish to do that with 2 single cameras of the most optimal image quality.
You should have a look at the Aussie brand Street Guardian, i run ther SG9665GC in the front ( have GPS for speed loggin ) and for a rear camera i wish i could afford ther SGZC12RC.

And not least with that brand you will get the service you expect to get should need it one day.

Footage from both the Sg9665GC and the SGZC12RC is on youtube, there is allso a fjew video reviews of both.
With current technology footage don't get much better, night or day.

Hello All,

Thank heaven for forums like this one! Going a bit crazy and hope someone can help!

Don't know a lot about them [that's what brought me to this site]. Which dash cam to buy for my car - wow so many to choose from!

Not a techo and don't have any real knowledge about dash cams, but after hours of reading am leaning towards either the Blackvue DR650GW Duel or Cowon AW2 Duel. Anyway any help on deciding would be greatly appreciated and helpful, thanks.

Cheers Helen
G'day Helen,
Welcome to dashcamtalk. Looks like you already have some good advice from some pretty experienced members and I am sure there will be more to come. If you haven't found him already take a look at techmoan. He does some excellent dashcam video reviews. Another dual cam worthy of a look is the Marcus 5 by vicovation. You'll find that one at techmoan as well. link here.

http://www.techmoan.com/

Good luck with your search and be sure to let us all know what camera you end up choosing

Welcome Helen...... To the real world of dash cam opinions and love that kangaroo avatar photo.

Hello and welcome to forum.
Please list your dashcam priorities.

Gidday Helen, welcome to the forum.

You seem to be looking for a dual system, and that is by no means a bad idea.
Its just that at the moment there is fjew to choose from that will give you really good bang for your AUD, and the ones that is out have more or less all been plagued with some teething problems.
The ones that is here allso all seem to have a pretty large front camera ( main unit ) which can be unfortunate if you like me wish to have your camera in the car all the time.
Even the best designed mounts for the cameras get to be a pain to work with over time, might not be the mount itself but then it is pluggin in and unpluggin wires before and after each ride.

You could do what so many of us have done,get 2 single cameras, only minus with that setup is you have to get in the back to retrive SD card if you need to get some footage from that camera.

Or you could first get 1 camera for the front, and then pass that on to a loved one when you upgrade to the optimal dual channel setup.
I think within the next year there will be a plentora of really good dual camera on the market, and the ones that is here allready will have matured even more.

If you are unstoppeable in getting your front and rear covered right now, and you wish to do that with 2 single cameras of the most optimal image quality.
You should have a look at the Aussie brand Street Guardian, i run ther SG9665GC in the front ( have GPS for speed loggin ) and for a rear camera i wish i could afford ther SGZC12RC.

And not least with that brand you will get the service you expect to get should need it one day.

Footage from both the Sg9665GC and the SGZC12RC is on youtube, there is allso a fjew video reviews of both.
With current technology footage don't get much better, night or day.

Thanks Kamkar,

That is really sound advice and I really appreciate it. I might look at the idea of getting 2 devices as I have a tailgate that lifts up so wouldn't find it hard to get card out if needed. I really just want to set up, forget and access if needed.

Main reason I am looked at getting a dam cam, is for safety and evidence - not everyone is honest. My son had an accident, even though it was only minor incident, it is a good example of, why we need to protect ourselves against this type of situation. The only way is video footage. The situation: he was side swiped by a car who was on the wrong side of the road [they were looking around at the countryside and didn't realise they had gone on the wrong side of the road]. When they realise and swerved back onto their side, they clipped my son's car. He was the only one in his car at the time verse 3 people in their car. His word against their word. The insurance said he can't prove they are lying, and there is more of them than him, so he has to pay. They win and he has to pay bill for both cars: $5000. Dash cam does not lie and would have proven who was at fault. I hear & read many stories like this.

Main priority is that cam shoots good footage - I am open to having 2 cam's if needed but I want good footage day or night. What's the point if you can't see what you have filmed when needed.

Niko the whole purpose is for safety and evidence if needed. I dont need a screen, just good quality cam that isn't an eye sore on the front window or rear window - is discrete. Have enough on the front with all the car gadgets. Has to have wifi, no battery & will be hard wired in, park sensor, is easy to get download footage from iphone, 32 or 64gb card compatiable, good resolution etc.. Willing to spend money on a really good unit.

Last edited:
G'day Helen,
Welcome to dashcamtalk. Looks like you already have some good advice from some pretty experienced members and I am sure there will be more to come. If you haven't found him already take a look at techmoan. He does some excellent dashcam video reviews. Another dual cam worthy of a look is the Marcus 5 by vicovation. You'll find that one at techmoan as well. link here.

http://www.techmoan.com/

Good luck with your search and be sure to let us all know what camera you end up choosing

Thanks for the link Chris and your welcome. At least I will get some honest opinions than someone trying to sell me a bit of junk. Appreciate everyone help and advice.

It's interesting the sales people have been trying to sell me the Blackvue DR650GW duel, but by the sound of it, its not all it's cracked up to be. Not worth the money? Correct me if wrong?

Looks like here in Aus the Street Guardian is a good one to look at or Marcus 5.

@ "easy to get download footage" - you mean it need to have a wifi ?

WiFi seems fun at first, but you soon realize it's faster to copy files of the card directly via a physical reader. So again while there is some wow factor, it's not always practical.
(especially if you have more than a few files to transfer)

It's interesting the sales people have been trying to sell me the Blackvue DR650GW duel, but by the sound of it, its not all it's cracked up to be. Not worth the money? Correct me if wrong?

Looks like here in Aus the Street Guardian is a good one to look at or Marcus 5.
Hi Helen,
Marcus 5 won't give you Wi-Fi and the front camera is not that discrete compared to some because it has a screen built in. Rear cam is tiny but front cam...not so much. Runs a capacitor instead of battery so good for Aussie heat extremes and can accept up to 128gb memory card so a good set and forget cam.

If you want to run two separate cameras then the Street Guardian is very discrete, is an excellent choice and the manufacturer support is second to none.

I don't like like to put down other peoples product but i think the research you have already done on the Blackvue has served you well.

SG9665GC – FULL HD GPS DVR is the capacitor version with detailed information here

http://www.streetguardian.info/shop/sg9665gc-full-hd-gps-dvr/

Jokiin can advise best place to buy in Melbourne.

Thank Chris, thanks for all you help.
Will have to contact Jokiin to see where I can buy one from.

Thanks Hombre,
We abouts do you live? Yeah nothing like a skippy!

Ballina NSW........... BUT, I am truly a QLDer and will kick some ass in tomorrows Origin opener, oh yeah, can't wait.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Introductions 4
D Introductions 2
Back