Gift for 11 yr old grandson. Really need some advice

MeMe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking at gopro3+ but concerned about cost, losing it or dropping it. So I want a less expensive camera and if possible comes with accessories.
In research saw the SJ models but when I saw Sony, I thought this may fit the bill.
I thick the stabilizer thing would be nice particularly with children using it so is it important?
So what is 4K?
What is gyro?
Are these as good or better than as GoPro
Warranty
Manufactured where?
And any other advice would really help
Thank you

Since its for 11 year old, do not think too much.
Get the one that fits your budget and has lots of accessories so that kid can be creative and attach a camera to whatever he wants.
Make sure that the camera has a LCD screen so that he can preview what he is recording and perhaps a WiFI, since kids love phones and apps these days.

4K, stabilization and other things are something you nor your 11-year old should worry, juts let him have fun and record videos.
All these technical terms can be found on Google, just Google 4K, etc.

As for warranty, cameras break , I assume he will break both expensive or cheap one.
so if it really breaks ,you can get him 2-3 new ones for the price of a GoPro...

SJ4000 is very user friendly camera with lcd
Dazzne P3 as well (better built quality compared to sj4000, more expensive)
SooCoo S60 is packed with insane amount of accessories and is dust-proof and waterproof itself, though not as reliable as other three.
Git 1 is also neat camera with remote control wrist watch and nice accessories.

Here are videos for all of them I made.

There is also a camera made for kids http://www.vtechkids.com/product/detail/16427/Kidizoom_Action_Cam_YellowBlack

Just do not overthink, all these cameras are quite similar and 11-year old is not going to be bothered with things like that ,just let him enjoy and have fun.

Hope that helps.

"I thick the stabilizer thing would be nice particularly with children using it so is it important?"
A stabiliser or gyro stabilisation will improve hand held video for everyone, if you think you are going to keep the video rather than watch it once and then delete it then it is worth having. Some systems work a lot better than others, gyros are still new and a lot of them don't work so well so look for the recommended ones rather than just having it on the specification sheet.

"So what is 4K?"
It is just video with 4x the resolution of Full HD, which your computer probably wont be able to cope with, your editing software probably will not be able to process, your TV probably wont be able to display and your eyes will not be high enough resolution to see the result in full detail anyway!

Unless you want make professional standard videos then ignore it.

"What is gyro?"
A cheap electronic video stabilisation system (no moving parts), can be very good but will never get things perfectly smooth.

"Are these as good or better than as GoPro"
Some are better than the cheaper or older GoPros. A lot of people wont really notice the difference to the best GoPros, and I think I would prefer a GitUp Git2 with gyro to the best GoPro without gyro!

"Warranty"
Check when you buy it and try to buy it from somewhere local.

"Manufactured where?"
Most are made in China using parts from China, Japan, Taiwan. Even GoPro has part Taiwanese ownership (Foxconn), think they are assembled in China.

SJ4000 is very user friendly camera with lcd
Dazzne P3 as well (better built quality compared to sj4000, more expensive)
SooCoo S60 is packed with insane amount of accessories and is dust-proof and waterproof itself, though not as reliable as other three.
Git 1 is also neat camera with remote control wrist watch and nice accessories.
If it is going to be roughly treated then the Dazzne P3 or P2 has a bulletproof steel case, it is a lot more solid than most.

From that list, I find the GitUp Git1 the nicest to use, you can expect to end up with a nice video while the rest you just hope to end up with a nice video and sometimes you do. If you want to also use it for photographs or want a gyro for stabilisation then the Git2 is a better choice, but with some extra cost.

Back