Gimbal for action camera with case when skiing

hpad06

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello

I just got akaso v50x , intended for recording my kids skiing. I was thinking to get a gimbal as I don’t know if it is doable holding it one hand, but cannot find a gimbal supporting the camera with case. Any idea how to use gimbal for camera with a case?

I prefer skiing videos without the gimbal, it doesn't seem like skiing if you are flying smoothly above the surface. With just in camera electronic stabilisation you get the bumps etc. on the video and it seems real, doesn't matter if it is not very smooth because it is not smooth in real life, except when it is smooth in real life and then you don't need the gimbal anyway. The latest gopro EIS is also too smooth and needs turning down for video where there should be bumps.

Get a selfie-stick with a bit of weight to it and use it extended, that will give enough stabilisation, in the same way a tight rope walker always uses a stick.

yeah i find the stabilized hovering camera disturbing, even with regular handheld walking, i do prefer just a little bounce in the footage.
Maybe its all those years of Danish film / series noir filmed with a very low technical budget.

The use of ND filters also worry me a little, so with cameras you want to use ND filters to create motion blur so your brain have something to extrapolate on just as it do with the fairly poor human eyes.

I also think just 1 "wipe" out on ski and your gimbal will be toast.

Thanks for your reply

My intend is to capture my kids skiing, if gimbal is not good option, would chest mount be better or simply hold it using hand or a simple stick?

I think handheld but mounted on a stick with a bit of length and weight is probably best, assuming that you are capable of doing so without falling over!

Helmet mounted is also a possibility, will be a bit rougher but your head should stay reasonably steady.

Take a look at some videos on Youtube to see what style you prefer, there are a lot of options.

Gimbals are really good for some things, other things they spoil by looking floaty, and you generally do need to hand hold them which can mean that you spend your time filming and being careful not to damage the gimbal rather than taking part in the fun which is what action cameras are really good at.

I don't think a chest harness are optimal, i have trouble seeing how when skiing you would have your chest facing your kids, only following behind then or skiing backwards with them coming towards you.

IMO if i was able to ski ( which i have never tried and would probably break both my legs ) i think i would mount the camera off one of the ski poles facing up, so all you had to do was "aim" tho top of the pole towards whatever.
But i am unsure if a ski pole have a large enough grip to secure something to it and still be able for you to have a good grip on it.
And aiming the camera up i mean if you mounted it below the grip and aimed it down you would have the pole in footage + you would have to point that pointy thing at the kids.

On a helmet or head harness would probably be best, then it have your whole body as a shock absorber and you just have to look at what you want to film.

tried helmet mount when skiing, it turns out the video is quite shaky, also the wifi button ( UP button) stopped working, so overall not a good experience.

you should have gotten a gopro with image stabilization...you could have gotten both. An used 7 probably would have costed the same as gimbal+akaso v50x

Back