GIT 2 sound test

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
There have been questions about sound quality of GIT2 and how external microphone performs compared to built in one.
Here is a quick test.

If you have your own sound test videos, feel free to share them.

Do you know where we can get a compatible wire adapter to record audio from an aircraft intercom system both local and remote? (Instead of a microphone). We are looking for something that can be used to record the Audio and Video of a Cessna 172 airplane.

Some like this:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9311
(This one is GoPro only it says)

Where can we get this cable from shown here?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-official-support.14625/page-52#post-222577
OE69dsb.png

I wonder if it's a official "GoPro HERO3 Mini USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter"? (or if there is a generic option)
w79R949.png

Last edited:
I would expect that one to work with a Git2, any Hero 4 cable should work. Not 100% sure you will get both channels correctly though...

Would need both channels, I wonder if there is a generic option or official Git2 option. (see my updated last post)

Would need both channels, I wonder if there is a generic option or official Git2 option. (see my updated last post)
It is supposed to work with a Hero4 microphone and so should work with a Hero 4 cable, including stereo, however there does seem to be some incompatibility for some reason. The issue is just the value of the resistor between two pins, or the lack of any resistor in some Hero 3 cables. If you get a Hero 4 cable then it should work, but be prepared to have to try more than one. Gitup have an external mic, but not an adaptor cable.

You could possibly make your own, just need a 10 pin mini usb plug, a resistor of the correct value and the wire.

Sorry Pier, I used this one which did not require any adapters, I really do not know, you should probably ask Gitup Support team.

Would have to be a custom cable, which is easy if you're already building your own mic adapter.

Something has to exist out there, no? I got this to record flight training, and the built in battery isn't going to be long enough. I'm not even sure where to begin to DIY both power and mic into a Y-cable.

Something has to exist out there, no? I got this to record flight training, and the built in battery isn't going to be long enough. I'm not even sure where to begin to DIY both power and mic into a Y-cable.
You can use one of the plentiful 12v-to mini USB cables you surely have since you run a dashcam business... Cut off the usb end, solder the + and - to the new jack, then solder the resistor and mic jack to the right pins (pinouts shown above) and that should be it. If I had time I'd make one for you but as it is i still haven't had time to hardwire a dashcam into my new truck... And I bought it in early January.

Edit- or maybe get a female mini USB jack and add it on instead of the 12v adapter, then you can use anything from a USB power bank or cigarette adapter or whatever else has a USB output.

Last edited:
If it was just splitting open the miniUSB mic adapter wires to splice in power that would be pretty easy. I have a feeling the wires used for power will be completely missing so having to solder on the resistor sounds like a PITA. I'm happy to outsource the work if anyone is available to help out. :)

You can use one of the plentiful 12v-to mini USB cables you surely have since you run a dashcam business... Cut off the usb end, solder the + and - to the new jack, then solder the resistor and mic jack to the right pins (pinouts shown above) and that should be it. If I had time I'd make one for you but as it is i still haven't had time to hardwire a dashcam into my new truck... And I bought it in early January.

Edit- or maybe get a female mini USB jack and add it on instead of the 12v adapter, then you can use anything from a USB power bank or cigarette adapter or whatever else has a USB output.
Most of the 12V adaptors and most other mini USB cables have 5 pin plugs on the end, you need a 10 pin plug since the microphone input is on pins 6, 7 and 8.

Adding a power cable to an existing microphone adaptor should be doable, just 5v to pin 1 and 0v to pin 5, but you do need a plug you can open, not a moulded one, and the soldering isn't easy because these things are very small!

Good News!

We just got in a test cable that works. It has a secondary female miniUSB port for power, and the audio works. (and records in both Left and Right channel)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OP8RYY8
mkQ4lbF.png

We'll post some footage flying around in the near future.

Good News!

We just got in a test cable that works. It has a secondary female miniUSB port for power, and the audio works. (and records in both Left and Right channel)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OP8RYY8
mkQ4lbF.png

We'll post some footage flying around in the near future.

always better when it can be done with a prefab cable

I finish yesterday my custom cable for charge and mic input, its work very well ! Photos and details soon !
All we need is 10pin mini usb, a female jack and a usb cable ;)

Back