Git G3 Duo Firmware Mod

Would like to test Git3 170, how to get your mod for this? thx
In case you do not need EIS tuned for wide lens for testing, you can flash current mod for 90-degree version safely. Otherwise, mod with updated lens settings will be posted here, hopefully, today.

EIS is lens correction, right?
EIS is Electronic Image Stabilization, but you are right, to make it working properly, lens distortion profile and focal length should be updated with 170-degree specific values.

@hc_1982 love your work!
I have a couple of questions I hope you can assist me with.
The g3 has a very useful function that on receipt of external power, the camera turns on and starts recording. However it only provides the option to record video. Do you think it is possible to change or add the option to take a photo instead?

In addition I am looking at the PWM control for triggering photos.
Triggering a photo is one thing, but getting feedback from the camera via the PWM that the photo has been successful ie successfully triggered and written to sd card is key for reliability.
Do you think it would be possible to add some sort of pulse on the PWM pin(s) to confirm when a photo has been taken? If this signal was always provided every time a photo was taken (regardless of triggering methodology ie via PWM, manual trigger or auto trigger when powered on) that would be awesome.
Thanks again.

Hello @tndog, thanks! I hope, latest version of mod with some IQ improvements for photo/video will be ready for release soon, so stay tuned!

it is possible to change or add the option to take a photo instead?
I guess, it could be possible to make photo mode default one on power on, but, probably, latest official firmware suits better here, as it has some options for selecting video or photo mode on camera boot, while current mod is based on older firmware.

Do you think it would be possible to add some sort of pulse on the PWM pin(s) to confirm when a photo has been taken?
I have not looked into PWM stuff yet and I cannot test it in any way at the moment, so, I think, I won't be able to help with it.

Hello @tndog, thanks! I hope, latest version of mod with some IQ improvements for photo/video will be ready for release soon, so stay tuned!

I guess, it could be possible to make photo mode default one on power on, but, probably, latest official firmware suits better here, as it has some options for selecting video or photo mode on camera boot, while current mod is based on older firmware.

I have not looked into PWM stuff yet and I cannot test it in any way at the moment, so, I think, I won't be able to help with it.
@hc_1982 Thanks for the quick reply.
The latest firmware when in default photo mode does not take a photo when power is applied. I have sent a note to @viofo in another thread to question this, as this I think is unexpected behaviour ie a bug.
Re PWM, understand you can't test. Looking at the code, do you think it would be possible? If you think it is possible I of course would be happy to test. Perhaps @viofo could comment here?

Not familiar with the G3
But what if you put it in photolapse mode ? if it have something like that, photo are a pretty singular event so on power on it would just take 1 photo and then just sit there.
Unless it was in photo lapse and that told it to take a photo every X seconds

Not familiar with the G3
But what if you put it in photolapse mode ? if it have something like that, photo are a pretty singular event so on power on it would just take 1 photo and then just sit there.
Unless it was in photo lapse and that told it to take a photo every X seconds
@kamkar1 thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately when the camera is in default photo mode, it doesn't do anything on power on.
When default is video mode it starts recording, but I just want it to take a single photo.

I don't see that as a bug, maybe just a feature that you would like that isn't there, the power on and auto record video is to add dashcam functionality, not something that is typically found in sports cameras

I don't see that as a bug, maybe just a feature that you would like that isn't there, the power on and auto record video is to add dashcam functionality, not something that is typically found in sports cameras
@jokiin agree it is not typical for an action camera and you are probably right, it's not a bug but rather a feature I was hoping for with the addition of photo as the default on power on. I hope this can be considered.

@hc_1982
I'm fascinated by your knowledge on the GitUp cams and will soon try your latest mod for Git3.

Have you ever considered publishing your findings on the firmware of these cams.
I have tried to find data sheet and SDK for that Novatec chip, but they obviously have established firm circulation control :-/

@Irgendeiner,
I guess, SDKs are supposed to be accessible for camera manufacturers only, but there are some leaks for nearly every ntk chip generation publicly available on the internet, although not much of useful docs or sheets for iq tuning and camera modding. It won't be possible to share my findings without referring that leaked code, and I guess, it might be considered illegal from perspective of ip owners.
Current git3 mod is bit outdated and does not contain my latest findings related to color, noise reduction and sharpening, but still might be interesting compared to stock fw. I hope I would try to bring it up to date some day.

@Irgendeiner,
I guess, SDKs are supposed to be accessible for camera manufacturers only, but there are some leaks for nearly every ntk chip generation publicly available on the internet, although not much of useful docs or sheets for iq tuning and camera modding. It won't be possible to share my findings without referring that leaked code, and I guess, it might be considered illegal from perspective of ip owners.
Current git3 mod is bit outdated and does not contain my latest findings related to color, noise reduction and sharpening, but still might be interesting compared to stock fw. I hope I would try to bring it up to date some day.
Some manufacturers openly distribute SDK's because it helps selling...
For NT9666x I could not even find the data sheet or SDK stuff :-(
I do not think that publishing data found by reverse engineering would be illegal, although manufacturers do not like it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
Linhos Git3 10
Back