Git2 goes diving - discussion thread

Tungsten E2

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi all,

would like to start this thread in order to exchange thoughts and experiences on diving with the Git2.

Topics might be:
- setup
- light
-settings
-accessories
-sample videos

I have some diving experiences with SJ4000wifi and Gopro and it will take some more months before I can go diving with my Git2 in my area without freezing my a... of. ;-)

I'm taking mine to the Indian Ocean in just over a week. Currently waiting for a GoPro underwater housing and Backscatter Flip4 filter to arrive. Have a wrist mount and pole too.

Do you think I'll need fog inserts? Have you ever used them?

I'm taking mine to the Indian Ocean in just over a week. Currently waiting for a GoPro underwater housing and Backscatter Flip4 filter to arrive. Have a wrist mount and pole too.

Never been to the Indian Ocean, but I believe that the water is quite warm so I doubt fog inserts will be needed, but if they are then you will wish that you had some!

Any old packet of silica gel that will fit will work, or even the loose pellets. But you do need to recharge them in the microwave until they stop steaming before use and then keep them in a sealed plastic bag until you use them.

Reactions: Mtz
can you check the git2 housing as well? why do you buy the gopro housing? would like to know the minimal focus distance underwater with the Git2 housing. the 170 angel will become a 120 angel underwater.

Definitely, just the difference between air and water temperature can cause fogging!

can you check the git2 housing as well? why do you buy the gopro housing? would like to know the minimal focus distance underwater with the Git2 housing. the 170 angel will become a 120 angel underwater.
Sorry you've lost me. Is there a problem using the gopro dive housing?

The gopro housing arrived today and the lens dimensions seem almost identical to the Git housing. Hopefully my Flip4 filter will come tomorrow and I'll see it fits the Git housing.

is there any news of the FLIP4 adapter fitting to the gitup housing?

So the Flip4 doesn't fit the Git dive housing, due to a gap of 1mm or 2mm. You might be able fill the gap will some strips of plastic.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Mtz
So the Flip4 doesn't fit the Git dive housing, due to a gap of 1mm or 2mm. You might be able fill the gap will some strips of plastic.
Put some fog inserts in the housing just in case, be careful the edge of fog inserts don't go between the o-ring and the housing, close the case in the air conditioned hotel room, and don't open it between the dives. I opened my old Olympus housing in Dominican Republic to change battery in the camera and that humid hot weather made the housing lens port immediately foggy when I entered the water on the second dive. The water temp was around 27°C.
Is the gopro dive housing the new version without the black foam in the middle?
I also sent you a private message on the gitup's forum.

Fog inserts going on order shortly. Thanks for the tip about keeping the case shut. Luckily we're returning to base between dives, so I can switch batteries in our room.

The housing has 2 horizontal foam strips, which are located perfectly above and below the screen, without obscuring it.

The gap is on the frame which atttaches to the case, which means it just falls off.

This has a bolt to tighten the frame, but even when fully tightened the frame is still loose.

I have used very thin rubber 1/4 inch wide held with contact cement. You have to tighten everything so slightly to prevent damage to the case.The rubber from a piece of shrink tubing. I found that my xiaomi Yi waterproof case square was only a mm or two different from the Gopro 40 meter case . I have been using adapters intended for Gopro. Additionally, I found that the Allen wrench supplied with the adapter or trim ring(square) was undersized, I assume so that you wouldn't overtightened the set screw!

Back