Git2 Gyro problems (shaky video)

Yannick

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Dash Cam
Gitup Git2
I was looking for help on Gitup forum, but haven't received support. And thanks to one of the users there (@omegamoto - respect!), I've found out about DashcamTalk board.

But to the point: I've got a problem with my Gitup Git2, which looks like it is gyro related one. My videos are shaky (or "laggy") and not stabilized as it is supposed to be with 'stabilization' turned on. Unfortunately that issue is present on all firmwares: I was trying FW 1.5 (non-beta) and also newest 1.6B (beta). Changing video settings in camera menu also doesn't help.

It looks like gyro is working, because it is cropping the image and my records are more fluent - you may see the difference at 0:03, when I am enabling gyro. But even if gyro is working, it is not working correctly. It is because recorded video is still swinging (shaking) and it looks like camera is searching for optimal position. What is really annoying. Perhaps it is an issue related to finding proper axis (or axes)?

Please take a look (mentioned problem starts from 0:07):

I am using fast U3 Samsung microSD card, so it is definitely not a problem with card speed. I've tried nearly all the settings, but whatever I do, it isn't helping. And even on standard settings in 1080p/60fps with everything set to default/auto the stuttering is very visible and makes that watching my Git2 videos is really tiring and uncomfortable...

Attached video was recorded during standard walk on sunny day (about noon). And it still doesn't look as fluent as it supposed to be (I have very stable monopod). It is very short movie only to show you that effect, but if I record something longer, this is much more uncomfortable to watch... And due to this fact I am not even thinking of making sports materials (mountain biking or running) with my Git2 at the moment, as I know received records won't be stable and I won't be able to compose interesting movie when I have this shaky records.

I have bought Git2 especially because of the Gyro and now this... Thank you for any help!

-----
PS. Here is another video from one of the users who has the same issue (video comes from Gitup forum):

Last edited:
I have some issue with FW:beta 1.6.0825.
It seems it is gyro related because when i try with gyro off the problem disappears.

As you can se the video jumps some.
Someone with the same problem?

1080/60
Dvr mode
Rotation screen on
Gyro on
Other setting is standard

Thanks for your reply, @omegamoto - appreciate that!

If this is really hardware related issue I won't be able to do anything with this on my own. During this short video I've recorded today as an example, there wasn't even a little wind. And this is definitely not problem with my shaky hands... However I agree these hard to describe vibrations looks exactly like horizontal axis problem. So there is definitely something wrong with gyro.

This is very possible that it concerns newest cameras from Gitup as I haven't seen any issues like that in the past (at least before I've ordered my own Git2). And now here are another users complaining that their gyro isn't working properly...

Thanks for your reply, @omegamoto - appreciate that!

If this is really hardware related issue I won't be able to do anything with this on my own. During this short video I've recorded today as an example, there wasn't even a little wind. And this is definitely not problem with my shaky hands... However I agree these hard to describe vibrations looks exactly like horizontal axis problem. So there is definitely something wrong with gyro.

This is very possible that it concerns newest cameras from Gitup as I haven't seen any issues like that in the past (at least before I've ordered my own Git2). And now here are another users complaining that their gyro isn't working properly...
Have you tried a factory reset?

@TwoBlues , you mean factory reset from menu or any specific way? However, I doubt it could help as I've updated my Git2 to newest beta (1.6B) few days ago. And I suppose changing FW restores all settings to default, right? :)

@TwoBlues , you mean factory reset from menu or any specific way? However, I doubt it could help as I've updated my Git2 to newest beta (1.6B) few days ago. And I suppose changing FW restores all settings to default, right? :)[/QU

Last edited by a moderator:
@TwoBlues, something went wrong, as in your post is only the quote ;)

Yesmy
Hello, Yannick:
My @#$%^& android tablet decided to correct my syntax in an unwelcome manner so I had to go offline for a time!
I am not a computer geek although I can stumble around sometimes having success, but I am an airplane mechanic familiar with BITE ( built in test equipment), sometimes running a test would have the unit working properly.
I think the fw update does not change user settings, but at any rate what do you lose?
I would test it myself, but I don't have the problem you describe.
You did say that you have a fast micro sd card?
P.S. We're all ( Git 2 users) hoping for the final version of 1.6. I want to be able to invert the video.

no, loading a new firmware does NOT reset everything to default. i wish it would. @gitup and most other manufacturers recommend doing a reset after installing any version of the firmware, in case any old settings conflict with new options.

no, loading a new firmware does NOT reset everything to default. i wish it would. @gitup and most other manufacturers recommend doing a reset after installing any version of the firmware, in case any old settings conflict with new options.
Little bits and pieces of crudd, right?

You could check your micro sd card with this heise free download that will write to the sd card and verify to see if a memory capacity is false [h2testw]. Choose the German or translate to English.

As we checked with Novatek before, the Gyro feature is not recommended using for dash cam usage.
Before someone want to use Gyro on dash cam, but been told by Novatek is useless.

For Gyro, it can work while move horizontal or vertical, but for rotate left or right, it can not handle well if the rotate degree is bigger than 15° FOV.

Please take a look (mentioned problem starts from 0:07):
That looks normal to me. The gyro stabiliser has a limit to how much stabilisation it can do, if you stay within it's limits then it looks very good, if you shake it beyond the limit then it suddenly looks fairly poor, you are asking it to do more than it is capable of.

If you want to walk with the camera and get a fully stabilised "floating" effect then you need to mount it on a gimbal stabiliser.

If you want to walk with the camera and get reasonably stabilised video that looks like you are walking then just holding the camera in your hands is not normally enough, you need to help it by, for example, mounting the camera in it's "dashcam" frame, mounting the frame on a selfie stick/monopod, and then using the weight of the selfie stick to work as a pendulum to keep the camera roughly horizontal and to add inertia to movements caused by hand shake, if you extend the selfie stick to full length then the pendulum effect is increased and it can then produce good stabilised video. Alternatively you could try a body or head mount, your head is generally a lot more stable than your hands, designed that way so that your eyes can see stable images.

Back