Git2 so fragile it 's dead after first drop?

serge6008

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
Dash Cam
sj4000, git2, xiaomi yi
My Git2 camera is completely dead after a minor quadcopter crash.

The camera does nothing (no LED lights, no display, no beeps - nothing) when I power it via USB, or a battery. I tried different batteries. I tried formatting SD card (FAT32) and uploading different version firmware / loader files on it. I disassembled Git2 and tried to reattach all the ribbon cables. Still nothing - the camera does not power on at all.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

If it stopped working after your drone crashed maybe it was harder than it looked from further away and more than minor. That's the risk you take with that hobby. At least you didn't break a $500 GoPro camera.

If it stopped working after your drone crashed maybe it was harder than it looked from further away and more than minor. That's the risk you take with that hobby. At least you didn't break a $500 GoPro camera.
I have seen hyperbole about the " toughness" of the Gopro Hero , is it?

None of these are military grade war machines. Plastic is Plastic and consumer electronics are consumer electronics. Expecting something to be Un-phased after falling out of the sky is a big ask especially with the added momentum of a drone on top

My SJ4000 has seen much harder crashes and still ok. That's why I'm surprised Git2 died so quickly.

Was there any visible damage?

You could try running it without a battery and LCD - plug the rest into a computer and see if it will start.

They are not known for being fragile, many people have had crashes with them, so you must have hit it at the wrong angle or something...

Was there any visible damage?

You could try running it without a battery and LCD - plug the rest into a computer and see if it will start.

They are not known for being fragile, many people have had crashes with them, so you must have hit it at the wrong angle or something...

Just a scratch at top left corner, that's all. I attached the photo.
Yes, I tried connecting the main board without LCD to USB - still dead.git2_dent.jpg

Given the light weight of the camera and reasonably tough plastic, that must of been quite a high speed encounter with something hard, 50kph?, I guess the shockwave has either cracked a pcb track or maybe cracked a solder joint. You could try reflowing the solder, otherwise use it as spares. I don't think the warrantee will be much use!

Much better to fly over grass than solid rock, you can have 5x the impact speed and cause less damage.

Last edited:
Just a scratch at top left corner, that's all. I attached the photo.
Yes, I tried connecting the main board without LCD to USB - still dead.
git2_dent-jpg.24052
That's hard crash to scratch the body like that.
Obviously, more than few things got knocked out of place.
You'll have to re-trace power/connection one by one all over.

Disassembly and look for a disconnected ribbon circuit?
I have done that. Re-connected all the ribbon cables. No visible damage (bare eye) to the PCB board or its components.

I have done that. Re-connected all the ribbon cables. No visible damage (bare eye) to the PCB board or its components.
Then the magic smoke is out.
It may be just parts for another unit you buy.

And, of course, inspection of the battery contacts in the compartment? Read once on an Amazon review of a Yi that had a bad solder joint on the board from new in the box!

As we talked on email, we will arrange the replacement to you though you bought from local re-sellers.
Each dropping have different affect, I dropped my first Git2 sample from 4th floor to 2th floor, the battery cover opened, a very small crack on case, I am still using it for testing.

it's not the fall that damaged it, the sudden stop at the end was your problem ;)
One of the very first times I used my git2 was also one of the first times i used my quadcopter. Flew up to about 100ft agl and was doing slow turns to get video of the mountains around my dad's house. Did I mention it was the first time i flew it more than just learning to hover or make basic back and forth passes in the driveway? Well I didn't have my battery alarm set right, so when it got low, it basically just fell out of the sky without warning. Clipped the porch railing on its way down and landed in a big snow drift. Bent a couple props (King Kong props basically never break, they just bend, and then you bend them back and keep flying) and got snow packed into the motors and everywhere else in the frame and the camera was halfway out of the zip ties holding it on, but it was still recording. Had to wipe snow off the case and lens though. But I was also using the waterproof case so it had actual protection.

Back