GIT2P 90 firmware mod

I feel that the max shutter speed should be 1/100s because of the 180 degree shutter rule to avoid too much motion blur.

I guess, this rule is applicable mostly for video with 24fps, where shutter should be equal to 1/48 - 1/50s, which is similar to human vision/perception in terms of motion blur, and longer exposure produce too much motion blur. Faster shutter speed produces sharper image in motion (especially for viewing frame by frame), but also makes it look less natural, and more visually similar to computer game. Also, note, that shutter speed is not constant for video recorded, and varies heavily according to amount of light - automatic exposure algorithm adjusts gain and shutter speed according to light conditions. In case there is too much bright light (outdoor, sunny day), setting gain to ISO50 won't be enough, so it will reduce exposure to 1/1000s or even shorter. Shutter speed 1/50s for 1080p50(1/100s for 1080p60 50hz, 1/60 for 1080p60 60Hz) is max which could be used with video fps selected in low light.

Last edited:
Thank you again for your enlightenment! It has been very useful to know more about the internal workings of the firmware!!

So I am a proud new owner of the git2p, and I tried to update today, but to no avail. The red light on the back was blinking frantically, and when it was done, I took the camera off the cable. When I checked the firmware, it still showed the same old. My version is GIT2P_V1.2_1229. It does not look like the official FW has been updated recently, so I think I probably have the most recent one. Should I even look into doing a mod? I am not in Europe, so I don't really need PAL. I have played with video for a bit and mostly did photos. They are stunning, even though I feel like I can improve a lot. Light was very dark out today, and the photos looked dark too. Photoshop tweaking helped. Should I try and mod FW? If so, what am I doing wrong?

The red light on the back was blinking frantically, and when it was done, I took the camera off the cable. When I checked the firmware, it still showed the same old. My version is GIT2P_V1.2_1229.
In case you have tried to update to mod from this thread, the version will be the same, as no text/version changes have been done in it. Please set Color to "Black&White" in camera menu for video mode, to make sure mod has been installed correctly. Image will turn to B&W in original firmware, while remain color in mod, although brighter a bit.

In case you have tried to update to mod from this thread, the version will be the same, as no text/version changes have been done in it. Please set Color to "Black&White" in camera menu for video mode, to make sure mod has been installed correctly. Image will turn to B&W in original firmware, while remain color in mod, although brighter a bit.
Thanks, I will try that later today! So I already have the best possible FW on my camera then?

Thanks, I will try that later today! So I already have the best possible FW on my camera then?
Several issues have been fixed in modded firmware. Original firmware ignores manual ISO settings with auto exposure if it is too dark - it just falls to ISO3200 no matter which ISO was set, also ISO50/ISO100 works as ISO AUTO at all. I have tried to fix it by adding hard limit for ISO if set, and adding support for manual ISO100 used with auto exposure instead of ISO1600. Also, levels for noise reduction filters and sharpening has been decreased, as it was too much as for me. So, I hope, now this firmware "sucks less" at least, compared to original one.

Several issues have been fixed in modded firmware. Original firmware ignores manual ISO settings with auto exposure if it is too dark - it just falls to ISO3200 no matter which ISO was set, also ISO50/ISO100 works as ISO AUTO at all. I have tried to fix it by adding hard limit for ISO if set, and adding support for manual ISO100 used with auto exposure instead of ISO1600. Also, levels for noise reduction filters and sharpening has been decreased, as it was too much as for me. So, I hope, now this firmware "sucks less" at least, compared to original one.
Thanks for the info. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options, but I am confident you know what you are doing. I have decided to take an online photo class now so I understand a bit more what I am doing here. I love what the camera is capable of so far. As I said in another thread, I have tried out several cameras to improve my gear. This was the last one, and I am happy it hit the jackpot. The only thing that is missing for me is a photo function that works with motion detection.

Hi hc_1982, the ISO max limit is a super useful feature, are you sure you can't do the same mod to the GIT2 (non Panasonic sensor)?
I'll probably have to buy a GoPro just because GitUp lets us use the shutter speed only with fixed ISO a no auto exposure :(

Hello Modelero, actually, I used it mostly for limiting ISO to 1600, or 800 at max for video. It could be implemented for GIT2 too, but it would be too complicated to make it right blindly, as I have no access to git2 to test it. I have done some small tweaks for git2 previously, and it were much simpler features.

If you need someone to test the firmware i'm willing to help you, i'm not using the camera anyway.

Can I use this mod update for the 170 degree version as well?

Yes, it could be used for Git2P 170 degree version too.

Wouldn't using this 90 FOV firmware on the 170 version make the stabilizer useless?
(I have both lenses and I am running this custom firmware and I would like to keep using this even with the 170 FOV lens...)

Wouldn't using this 90 FOV firmware on the 170 version make the stabilizer useless?
I believe, stabilizer will work almost in the same way, but distortion correction for 170 degree lens won't be applied to image, so it may cause some "warp" in the corners of stabilized video. I'm going to add these settings for 170 FOV camera when next version of mod is released.
BTW, which video resolutions and functions are you using most with this camera?

For video, I am mostly using 1080 at 60 fps. I am still a bit confused with the speed/ slow motion feature. Does this work for any resolution?

I have not used it much, but I guess, it overrides video resolution selected and sets 1080p60 for x2, 720p120 for x4 and vga 240fps for x8, while recorded video has 30fps.

I will go and check this again, but I think you are correct.
Edit: So the 1080 with 60 fps will always be slomo? Or will the video be filmed with 60 fps and if you choose 2x slower, it gets played a bit slower on top of the smooth 60 fps? I will have to try that.

Last edited:
Or will the video be filmed with 60 fps and if you choose 2x slower, it gets played a bit slower on top of the smooth 60 fps?
Yes, exactly. It records 1080p60/720p120/vga 240fps and sets real fps (60/120/240) in file properties in normal mode, but if slow motion is enabled, it will set 30fps in file, so x2/x4/x8 slowdown observed during playback.

So what happens if I record in 1080 and 60 fps but no slomo?

It will record 1080p60 which will be played at natural speed and motions will be more smooth and less motion blur will be visible. In video with fps lower than 48, separate frames could be noticed as in fast slideshow, especially with rapid motion. But starting from 48fps human brain does not notice switch from one frame to the next one. Of course, it will work only in case each frame is displayed with correct timing, so display refresh rate should be equal to or multiple of video frame rate. I believe, most displays have 60Hz refresh rate, so 60fps video will look best on it in terms of motion blur, although 50fps seems to be better choice for countries with 50Hz frequency used, if 50Hz refresh rate is supported by display.
Also, note, that Git2P will produce video with better details in 30fps modes - 1080p30/1440p.

Back