GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

My 12 mm give you this kind of zoom level, what i lovingly call "in your face"

Thanks guys....that's great.....they are doing essentially what I have tried to do....

I found that at night the vehicle lights often hit the license plates before the distance is close enough for the camera to pick up so I was thinking a 3-4(2.2x is not enough) would probably pick them up better and during day time a lot of oncoming and neighboring lanes would also be able to pick up more plates...

I have had 2 near headon collisions a couple years back 6 months apart(both at night where another driver turned onto oncoming traffic in very foggy situations and was hauling ass in the 1 lane-left lane).....would have been nice to have picked up the plate instead of blurry nothingness with my Mini 0806 at the time...:LOL::LOL:

Thats indeed one of the things i feel like the long lens camera of mine do well, some times you can also get a plate reading when the angle are flatter.
But its still marginal and as hard as with a regular dashcam lens.

Low light and not least plate capture in conditions like that will remain the hardest challenge of any camera for the foreseeable future.
And do take into account the Danish ( EU ) plates are much more forgiving than the US plates which seem to be designed with anything but readability in mind.

That lukas are a huge attention grabbing camera, and its also ancient technology by now, i cant recall what sensor are in it, but its not the top performer by today's standards thats for sure.

This footage are also from my long range camera, showing a undercover police car braking a few laws.

And here are some night town footage like the daytime split screen above.

Is there any lens like these in 8+MP? It will work fine for Mobius 2 but I am sure it won't work with ThiEye E7 4k, right?

Right. my 12 mm lens are just a 3 mpix lens, it will probably screw into that camera just fine, but really for a high megapixel you also want a lens geared for that, its no problem putting a lens made for 12 mpis on a 2 mpix sensor, but putting a lens made for 2 mpis on a 12 mpix sensor are not optimal, though it might not be a total disaster either.
I have not tried my 12 mm lens on the mobius 2 ( mine died ) or the Maxi i just got, but the X cam i use it in are equipped with the 4 mpix OV 4689 sensor.
But the 12 mm lens i use are just for 2 - 3 mpix cameras, you can get lenses for a larger pixel count sensor, but then prize probably go up ( really high ) too, i got mine from Peau productions that have a range of lenses for cameras ( action ) that use the same kind of lenses as dashcams. ( 12 mm fine thread )

You can search youtube for people making lens swap on a range of action cameras, it is quite common to replace the factory wide angle lenses with something less aggressive.

https://www.peauproductions.com/collections/mega-pixel-lenses

Last edited:
A few of us who have been testing telephoto and varifocal lenses are buying them from AliExpress.

If you want a 4k lens it might be best to use a fixed focal length lens. Here's an 8mm 4k option
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32864974223.html

I have the 5MP 6-22mm M12 varifocal lens, which can be used with sensors up to 1/2.5". I can try it on my GitUp F1.

Thank you, I will check it out.

How do you calculate magnification factor on these fixed lenses?

Last edited:
I received my F1 today. I gave it a try and I realized it doesn't have stabilization at 4k which sucks. In the city driving, I was catching plates of parked cars easily but on a highway with 40-60mph speed limit, it was super grainy. I am impressed with the almost 72mbps bitrate. It is very disappointing that ThiEye E7 can have stabilization at 4k@30fps but not F1. This would have been a perfect dashcam if it had 4k stabilization. I will need to try the 1080P @ 60 fps stabilized. I recorded with 2x digital zoom on. It felt like everything was super grainy and out of focus except a few feet in front of the car where you could see the license plate. Is this how it should be with no stabilization and zoom? I tried to upload to Youtube but it degraded the 4k video and it looks worse than 720...

Apparently while viewing the footage you can select at least 1080P. It is automatically set to 360 or 720P by Youtube. If you watch this video on Youtube site you can select 1080P however on here as a plugin it is set to 360P. This is why it looks like trash.

Last edited:
Yeah its a matter of the chipset when it come to EIS, what the F1 is based upon it can only do EIS with 1080p resolutions.

It is indeed strange how youtube murder good footage, and there are no logic to it, i know a guy that have the same dashcam i have and he can upload videos from it that look as if its raw footage, but my footage from the same camera ( that look fine raw ) turn into minecraft looking garbage.

But why turn EIS on if mounted in the car, all you need is a solid mount.

Random thought:

I also realized that those zoom lenses have to be mounted super far from the sensor. I was messing around with my old Mini 0806 and damaged the sensor. From shifting lens around, it looked like the best footage came when the lens was barely in the mount. Same was true I ended up buying thread extenders on AliExpress for under 10$. I have a suspicion you will need at least 1 if not more of those to make even 12mm work correctly. I have 25mm coming soon as well and I am sure I will need multiple thread extenders with that lens.

@Harsh I believe it is a matter of vibration and also when you are driving on uneven pavement or road. It is definitely noticeable. I have tried using my Yi 4k+ camera in 4k@60fps without stabilization and 4k@30fps with stabilization and it is a big difference. The 60fps is unusable while 30fps is very good during the day. Night time Yi 4k+ is trash.

Your mount could be tighter or the roads you drive on are in really bad shape, as normally EIS is not required for in-car use. From what I've read here, if the camera is mounted for dash cam use, footage can get mushy with EIS turned on.

That's an excellent point. I have never done so with my action cams and perhaps that's the cause.

I have ordered this mount and will see if it solves some of the vibration issues. .I don't know why it says suction mount since it is stuck in place with 3M double sides tape. They sell this mount for SpyTec dashcam/camera for 8-9$ on Amazon and Ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...101.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.218d4c4dXkbFhZ

Yes even if you use the same mount for the 2 cameras, then one being heavier than the other will trigger resonance in a different frequency.
At least thats what i think after trying to educate myself since the nightmare and waste of time that was school.

That look like a little stiffie mount :) should keep in tune with the windscreen / rest of vehicle.

I even bought a little goofy copter vibration reduction mount which I think is just a 12$(5-6 from China) scam...lol..

SAMLOO Black Action Camera Anti-shock Gimbal Mount Holder Frame Bracket for Syma

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322408064859

A good mount will have better anti-shock.
F1 only support EIS on 1080P.

The E7 use iCatch V50 chipset, I heard this chipset can support 4K EIS.

That's an excellent point. I have never done so with my action cams and perhaps that's the cause.

I have ordered this mount and will see if it solves some of the vibration issues. .I don't know why it says suction mount since it is stuck in place with 3M double sides tape. They sell this mount for SpyTec dashcam/camera for 8-9$ on Amazon and Ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...101.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.218d4c4dXkbFhZ
In your video you can clearly see that the camera is moving relative to the window, a mount that fixes the camera solidly to the glass will solve the problem and will be better than using EIS. The only time EIS is useful on a large vehicle is if you are completely off road climbing over rocks. For a motorbike EIS is more use and for a bicycle it is essential, but on something as heavy as a car it is much better to use the car suspension for the stabilisation. That mount looks OK, your quadcopter one probably wont work, its designed to remove the jello from high speed spinning propeller blades.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back