GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

That is a good mount, but I prefer their similar adhesive mount, seems more firm than the suction mount and is less visible if you can't hide it behind the dots:

You can get them both in one package: https://www.gitup.com/mounts/53-suction-cup-mount-kit-for-gitup.html
I prefer adhesive mounts too, but JB-007 asked for a suction cup mount recommendation.
In my case, I find the weakest part of the setup is that the small 1/4" mount plate does not fit tightly within the camera cradle. It wiggles more than I like. That's one of the reasons I have my F1 cradle attached to a separate mount plate, alongside another camera.

Yes, i have 1 suction cup mounted camera on my windscreen, and 3 stick on cameras ( right next to each-other ) and the suction cup are the easy one to spot.
It is on the glass ( to the Right of the doted area ) and the other 3 cameras are glued to the dotted area and only the lens peek out below that.

Still i am fortunate cuz suction cups actually work on my dotted area too, cuz its not really dots but a grid area with round holes in it, so a suction cup work just about as well there as on clean glass.
BUT ! i had so many cameras glued there and i never clean the glue 100 % when changing camera, so i doubt the suction cup work there now + i use to just have 1 camera on the dotted area but now i have 3.

Is there fuctionality to lock records in the current f1 firmware in dashcam mode?
Does a129 button work with it?

A129 bluetooth remote will not work, GitUp F1 have a dedicated remote. I don't think it can lock records in dashcam mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

Which mounts do you use? Ideally i want a fixed and not suction cup. I asked Gitup if the dashcam package linked below would be acceptable as it didnt have F1 in the title, they said no it wouldnt work. They didnt offer a solution either.
I am UK based. But dont mind buying from China etc. New car this will be going in is due in about a month from now.
Mount Kit

Which mounts do you use? Ideally i want a fixed and not suction cup. I asked Gitup if the dashcam package linked below would be acceptable as it didnt have F1 in the title, they said no it wouldnt work. They didnt offer a solution either.
I am UK based. But dont mind buying from China etc. New car this will be going in is due in about a month from now.
Mount Kit
https://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/product/mobius-actioncam-dashboard-fixed-mount/
mobius_fixed_mount1_wm-300x300.jpg

Cheers mate. Presume that would be fine on the windscreen? Think it would be technically upside down attaching it to the windscreen though... hopefully a flip mode.
Yes, I've used one of those on my windscreen for 6 years. Here it is with a Mobius Maxi
y4mIPMmZygxz6UEq_Gkpo90GFnH5e5i7t3mvdsJGT5RIgqOOZZF2n7px7gSG8jEJP8z6eyCZDARaA2Y-iKdMRzoTnKGvnHUvuE5WVANovGFNOcdttlXju3bScCJX7ONqmiLpzuSCwovRAS6W-Riz5_PyxhILSi6cIwMipxfoYY3r79t6sVB1693GdA8ioDEYNONdLM8W3z64o6_OBE8c7UVkA

Yes, I've used one of those on my windscreen for 6 years. Here it is with a Mobius Maxi
y4mIPMmZygxz6UEq_Gkpo90GFnH5e5i7t3mvdsJGT5RIgqOOZZF2n7px7gSG8jEJP8z6eyCZDARaA2Y-iKdMRzoTnKGvnHUvuE5WVANovGFNOcdttlXju3bScCJX7ONqmiLpzuSCwovRAS6W-Riz5_PyxhILSi6cIwMipxfoYY3r79t6sVB1693GdA8ioDEYNONdLM8W3z64o6_OBE8c7UVkA
Thanks. Have you tried the F1 like that? Want to make sure it has a flip mode so the image can be flipped if its upside down.

Mount Kit
That mount kit should work, the suction cup is quite good for temporary use, and the sticky one is also good, looks very like Tony's one. Only problem I can think of is that it would not work on steeper windscreens, but should be OK on any modern car.

Yes, the flip mode works fine. Although I use mine the normal way up sitting on the dash binnacle.

Thanks. Have you tried the F1 like that? Want to make sure it has a flip mode so the image can be flipped if its upside down.
I now use both the F1 and the Maxi upside down on a metal plate attached to that mount. It's very sturdy.

The small GitUp adhesive mount will work too. It's smaller and more discreet, but it is not as strong as the other mount.
y4mt9_yPz7K7PY8GJHO2bRTLYV5e1MdXWQ2N_ZYj6ozm0-gpcvrlK_bzziHa2-iUHU0OcrvZa9-CXU8gLllMF0YvaGN1_qde1AXownyLUjq0HY9Cju0S9ff0zR7V9pgyBK80PAJbHi1qvFX90UtJPZWh0l_54co7F3EOm-g29Y9sCb76o9tn0lIXZUr-3GtIF5WOnS9twtSB64V2IIWamri_Q

Cheers mate. Presume that would be fine on the windscreen? Think it would be technically upside down attaching it to the windscreen though... hopefully a flip mode.

If you don't mind waiting a bit you can buy those windscreen tripod mounts on eBay from Hong Kong for a fraction of the price that they go for from a local UK retailer.

When properly applied they can support several kilos, so the weight of a dash or action camera is essentially trivial.

I've been using these for years both as shipped and DIY modified and they are some of the most practical, useful and inexpensive dash cam mounts available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281888035620

Thank you for your help lads. I bought the mount suggested.
Tried my dashcam for the first time today and think i have some problems with it. I believe point 1 will not be able to be fixed though.
Updated to latest firmware on Gitup website before use.

Settings for the camera are
Video Resolution 3840x2160 25P 16:9
Video Quality Fine
Sharpness Medium
Image rotation on
Default capture mode video
External Power Dash cam
App version 1.9
Firmware Version F1- V1.2.20181115

1. Set external power mode is set to dashcam. However when i use any usb it only charges it. So in my car i have 2x cigarette lighter socket, 1x USB, 1x UK standard 3 pin plug socket (in use)
So basically i plug my dashcam into the car USB and it only charges it. The only way i can get it to go into dashcam mode, is plug it into the cigarette or 3 pin socket, this is not ideal. This is the same problem when plugging into a PC or PS4, charge mode only. Plug into a 3 pin plug adaptor so its only going to a plug socket, dashcam mode is enabled. I presume this is by design and i cant 'fix' this, to boot into dashcam mode using USB only?
I currently use the 3 pin plug to charge high capacity items such as phones and laptops.

2. I have a YouTube Link Here and also Google Drive Link Here. Currently Google Drive link is only at 1080p instead of 4K. Hoping this will process into 4K version eventually. The download button is 1.8GB though so should be 4K.
Basically the cam is rated at 4K 30fps, but i only can get 25fps. Are the videos ok? To me it seems they are basically too slow and therefore the image quality isn't the best.

3. Device gets very hot. Hard to touch it is so hot. Hoping it isn't a Chinese fake as it was bought on Amazon UK and the seller was GitUp? Is the heat normal? Could this be why its not recording well? The Amazon Link

4. Sound is not in sync with the video.
If you watch the video, you can hear the indicator going when on a straight road, after the corner where the indicator was actually on.

I believe point 1 will not be able to be fixed though.

1. Set external power mode is set to dashcam. However when i use any usb it only charges it. So in my car i have 2x cigarette lighter socket, 1x USB, 1x UK standard 3 pin plug socket (in use)
So basically i plug my dashcam into the car USB and it only charges it. The only way i can get it to go into dashcam mode, is plug it into the cigarette or 3 pin socket, this is not ideal. This is the same problem when plugging into a PC or PS4, charge mode only. Plug into a 3 pin plug adaptor so its only going to a plug socket, dashcam mode is enabled. I presume this is by design and i cant 'fix' this, to boot into dashcam mode using USB only?
I currently use the 3 pin plug to charge high capacity items such as phones and laptops.

The reason your car's USB port will only charge your camera but not operate it is that the USB port has a data connection along with the usual power wires. So basically, your F1 thinks it is connected to a computer and it will act as a storage volume rather than a camera. USB ports built into cars are meant to charge devices like cell phones as well as connect them to your car's entertainment system (thus the data connection) so you can see your phone's playlist on your head unit and listen to the music that is on your phone, for example.

The cigarette lighter socket and the standard plug are purely power sources with no data wires and that is what is required. Typical USB cables that are used with dash cams have 5 pin plugs that correspond with the internal wires that provide for power, ground and data (plus sheathing). This way, if you connect to a standard power only source (like a power bank or car charger) the camera will run properly but if you were to connect the same 5 pin cable to a computer you can then transfer your video files.

In theory, if you were to cut the green and white wires in your USB cable you could get the camera to work with your car's USB port because it would now only provide power but another issue in using a car's onboard USB port is that most of them provide only 500mAh of current which is less than ideal. Most dash cams require at least 1000mAh of current to function properly so a car's USB ports should be avoided regardless.

USB_wires .jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your help lads. I bought the mount suggested.
Tried my dashcam for the first time today and think i have some problems with it. I believe point 1 will not be able to be fixed though.
Updated to latest firmware on Gitup website before use.

Settings for the camera are
Video Resolution 3840x2160 25P 16:9
Video Quality Fine
Sharpness Medium
Image rotation on
Default capture mode video
External Power Dash cam
App version 1.9
Firmware Version F1- V1.2.20181115

2. I have a YouTube Link Here and also Google Drive Link Here. Currently Google Drive link is only at 1080p instead of 4K. Hoping this will process into 4K version eventually. The download button is 1.8GB though so should be 4K.
Basically the cam is rated at 4K 30fps, but i only can get 25fps. Are the videos ok? To me it seems they are basically too slow and therefore the image quality isn't the best.

3. Device gets very hot. Hard to touch it is so hot. Hoping it isn't a Chinese fake as it was bought on Amazon UK and the seller was GitUp? Is the heat normal? Could this be why its not recording well? The Amazon Link

4. Sound is not in sync with the video.
If you watch the video, you can hear the indicator going when on a straight road, after the corner where the indicator was actually on.
@Dashmellow has already given a comprehensive answer to your first question.

If you change the video settings to ntsc from pal, you can record at 4k30fps instead of 4k25fps.

Watching on my phone, the video quality looks OK, although I usually use superfine quality to increase the bitrate.

I would recommend using a smaller loop duration for 4k recording. 1.8GB files are really big and could lead to a problem with long term loop recording.

I don't have an answer for your audio lag issue. It appears to be more than 10 seconds out which is very strange. I've not seen that happen in any of my testing of the F1. Changing to 30fps might fix it.

@gitup are you aware of any sound synchronization problem with the F1 when recording 4k25fps?

I'm surprised to hear that your F1 is almost too hot to touch. Mine never gets that hot. Do you have WiFi enabled? If so, you should turn it off whilst recording inside a car. It's ok if the camera is fixed to a drone with lots of cooling air flow. But constant recording inside a car is best done with WiFi off, for any camera, as it does put extra load on the processor and increase the temperature significantly.

Bit of an update lads.
Did the changes @TonyM suggested. Have YouTube Link and Google Drive Link here.
If you notice the cyclist, the sound seems fine as the indicator goes on and off at the right time.

I turned the WiFi off now and it seems hot still, but no where nearly as bad as before. So seems the heat issue is sorted. Although it does not auto start up sometimes. I have to unplug and plug back in the cable.
If you look at the clip, do you think the cars have jaggy edges on the nearside? It seems they dont seem smooth at the end of the clip.

Lastly, do you have any suggestions regarding the app? When i load it up, it doesnt seem to put clips in the right order or takes a very long time to load. So much so that i take the SD card out and plug it into my computer, rather than using the app to download footage.
Thanks all.

Good to hear you got the sound fixed. It runs rather warm especially on a sunny sunny day like we had yesterday - but never too hot to touch.

I don't use the app for anything other than camera alignment and occasional setup changes. I always view video on a PC / laptop.

I have on my hands a prototype of a 4K DVR.
The lens with a diaphragm 1.6, three ionistors are installed on board,
there is a three-inch display with a resolution of 960x540 pixels.
On the hardware is an analogue of GitUp F1. Wi-Fi and GPS is installed on board.
I'm testing for now...

VIDEO:
1.jpg 2.jpg

PHOTO:
3.jpg

Brand and model at the moment I can not name...)

How far would you say it is from the images to the camera. roughly?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back