GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

Remote wired cameras i think will drop substantially in size soon, the remote cameras SG / viofo ASO have used so far are much larger than they need to be, and really going smaller make it more easy to go creative with use as side cameras or other creative angles.
I am also eager to see what the A 139 will be like.
Not sure the A139 is what you are after, the MT1 is better for small side cameras, but maybe we would be better off with one of the new Omnivision sensors in every window to get a good all round view, or maybe put them into the headlight + tail light + side indicator housings. for a good outside view down the sides of the car to actually see any contact.

The new Omnivision sensors are quite small:
OVT%2BGWR-1.JPG

"It offers exceptional low-light sensitivity of 1000 mV/lux-sec, and using OmniVision's proprietary sensor technology, delivers excellent image quality in terms of color fidelity, sharpness and low noise. "

Holy feces that's a small sensor :eek:

the 200 x 200 images might be a tad below market level expectations though
That is why you need several sensors down the side of your car, then join all the images together to get a full 360 view with reasonable resolution and no blockage from pillars etc, of course you want a proper 4K front sensor as well.

Soon we can probably get our cars painted with a paint that can act as a sensor too, and some fancy smancy software that can make it look just fine even without a lens.

If the Skydio 2 quadcopter can handle six 4K sensors for its visual obstacle avoidance, just imagine how many of these small sensors it could handle. :geek:

Soon we can probably get our cars painted with a paint that can act as a sensor too, and some fancy smancy software that can make it look just fine even without a lens.

If the Skydio 2 quadcopter can handle six 4K sensors for its visual obstacle avoidance, just imagine how many of these small sensors it could handle. :geek:
I can imagine that pinstripes will come back into fashion, with a sensor that small multiple sensors and lenses can easily fit into a plastic strip down the side of the car to provide all round 3D vision.

The drones have shown that obstacle avoidance can work very well, pity the vehicle makers can't manage it!
Key Findings:
1. At 30 mph, three out of four test vehicles failed to reduce the impact speed by at least 5 mph during the initial test run.
2. Evaluated pedestrian detection systems were significantly challenged in the following scenarios: a. When encountering a child pedestrian at 20 mph, a collision was avoided 11% of the time in aggregate. An additional 25% of the time, collisions were mitigated by an average speed of 5.9 mph. b. When encountering a pedestrian immediately after a right curve, none of the test vehicles mitigated the impact speed during any of the five test runs. c. When encountering two pedestrians alongside the roadway at 20 mph, a collision was avoided 20% of the time in aggregate. An additional 35% of the time, collisions were mitigated by an average speed of 3.4 mph.
3. Evaluated pedestrian detection systems were ineffective during nighttime conditions.
Summary: Collision avoidance systems in current cars may reduce the death rate very slightly, but the people they save will probably still be severely injured! Most of the collisions they can avoid, the driver would avoid anyway, sometimes they cause collisions and have been known to kill people.

It would be interesting if GitUp could take the Starvis IMX291 from the A119S, or the IMX335 from the A119V3, and put it inside the compact body of the F1C.

F1 with Starvis IMX291 and possibly H.265 is something I really would like and have been waiting for.

Now I have to use VidCoder to compress videos to HEVC to save space.

Wouldn't it be more easy to buy a hard drive then ? i mean i got a 4TB spinning drive for my computer and it wasent that expensive,,,,, around 500 DKkr as i recall.

You should not save all your video, at least not if you are a regular guy driving your own car,,,,, that just don't make sense as what is really worth saving / sharing are less then 5% of what you record,,,,,,, at least that's how it have always been for me.
And after i have mixed that for youtube the 10 - 15 / 3 minute or 300 MB files i take off my camera every month are down to 100 - 200 MB in my compilations for youtube and that's not even HEVC format.

It make little sense to use the fine SOC in the F1 to power something as benign as a IMX 291 sensor, that encode power are better used on a 4K sensor or 2 smaller res sensors.

It make little sense to use the fine SOC in the F1 to power something as benign as a IMX 291 sensor, that encode power are better used on a 4K sensor or 2 smaller res sensors.
OK, perhaps the IMX415 would be a better match for the F1.

Holy feces that's a small sensor :eek:
You can buy it as a camera module with lens if you want to play with one:

OmniVision_OVM6948.jpg

Looks quite big in that view, but it does hold the Guinness World Record for "The smallest commercially available image sensor":

OVT-1.JPG

I am happy to repport no one have ever been up there, and if they want to, they better knock me the hell out, and play the "its not me" game when i wake up

Wouldn't it be more easy to buy a hard drive then ? i mean i got a 4TB spinning drive for my computer and it wasent that expensive,,,,, around 500 DKkr as i recall.

You should not save all your video, at least not if you are a regular guy driving your own car,,,,, that just don't make sense as what is really worth saving / sharing are less then 5% of what you record,,,,,,, at least that's how it have always been for me.
And after i have mixed that for youtube the 10 - 15 / 3 minute or 300 MB files i take off my camera every month are down to 100 - 200 MB in my compilations for youtube and that's not even HEVC format.

I use F1 mostly when fatbiking or hiking/walking. I have a separate cam that I use when driving a car.

I have never even thought about not saving all my recorded video. I mean that is the main reason to save them to be able to watch and see everything later or put them on Youtube.

I have one 6TB, one 4TB and 3TB external hard drives. If I would not compress my videos they would easily fill 6TB drive in one year. Thats why I use HEVC. Also need one drive for backups.

My movie and video collection need a lot of space. Those 13TB are nearly filled up. Gonna need some new space soon. Not that cheap when new drive costs some 200€.

I thought that Starvis sensor would be best for low light video. I do 90% of my video recording at fairly low light conditions at nighttime so I thought Starvis would be the best choice. If there are better low light sensors then it would be even better.

Whatever is best for low light. F1 size and form factor is pretty good. It needs some waterproof case. Hard to use when biking in rain.

I really dont use 4K that much as even 1080/50fps take so much space when doing even 2-3 hour videos nearly every day.

I have couple of 128GB cards and extra batteries.

I really want be able to see years later where I was biking or walking or what I was doing. I also use Sports-tracker and Strava to track my activities.

Oh ok then.... Tx

It will be interesting to see How the gitup F1 will Hold up in real life

I am very interested in seeing how the performance is In The Night Times

Of course I have my new viofo a119s in transit so I Won't be buying the F1 very fast I'm afraid

Guess what, way over 2 years after my post here, I FINALLY bouhgt me the F1... sorry 2 of them. 60 euro, black friday deal, why two? Save on shipping, and of course one front one rear, but mostly for the motorcycle adventures, so no capacitor versions.

Should arrive one of these days....

Where did you get two for 60€ or even one? I could not find that good offers anywhere!

Where did you get two for 60€ or even one? I could not find that good offers anywhere!

60 eu each (now 62), not per two unfortunately, nevertheless, there are still some left, he slso sells with remote 70 euro. I didnt take the remote, because, well I don't really care about that, but 10 eu extra would have been the right choice in retrospect....

Ok, so that seller adds shipping fees. That explains that price a bit.
Gitups own pages sell it for 76,44€ with no shipping costs.

I have have been thinking about getting the capacitor version for my fatbike. I have used the battery version but to prevent sudden battery death, I use powerbank to keep the charge.

Depending the weather, the battery works for 40-60 minutes. I have lost footage many times when battery died and did not notice it. Also I don´t want to stop many times just to change the battery when cycling several hours.

I have several extra batteries but I have found that using a light powerbank is working better when cycling.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back