GitUp F1 with 5MP f1.6 6-22mm varifocal lens

That was kind of the idea I guess. Actually, the other thing I tried was to shoot a low light image pointing the camera under my desk but I decided not to post an image of my feet surrounded by lint balls and cables. :stinkyfeet:

I have 1, 2, 3 and 10-stop ND filters available so I may do some testing later

I didn't know till recently that Polarizer lenses can have/cause different f stops to a camera, should have realized it's rather obvious, however it's totally relative to how individual manufacturers builds the filter, and varies from one to another. In looking for a polarizer recently I saw a couple adds that mentioned f stop gain. Not many even mention it!

A CPL on a camera during the day time is likely not an exposure problem. Electronic shutter speed should be high enough to stop action in the daytime. Look at the faster than 1/1000 sec of Dahmellow's daytime flower shot.
As light fades the camera will increase gain (higher ISO and more grain noise) and slow down the shutter to allow enough light in to capture the image. Single photo or video frame.
Under lower light conditions, a one stop light loss will drop the shutter from 1/120 to 1/60 sec, or from 1/60 to 1/30 second. None of these slow shutter speeds are adequate for 'action' shots. If a camera is shooting real 60fps video it will miss frames as the shutter gets close to 1/60 sec.

A CPL on a camera during the day time is likely not an exposure problem. Electronic shutter speed should be high enough to stop action in the daytime. Look at the faster than 1/1000 sec of Dahmellow's daytime flower shot.
As light fades the camera will increase gain (higher ISO and more grain noise) and slow down the shutter to allow enough light in to capture the image. Single photo or video frame.
Under lower light conditions, a one stop light loss will drop the shutter from 1/120 to 1/60 sec, or from 1/60 to 1/30 second. None of these slow shutter speeds are adequate for 'action' shots. If a camera is shooting real 60fps video it will miss frames as the shutter gets close to 1/60 sec.

I read another article yesterday that said different manufactures CPL can add from 1 to 3 f stops .

One manufacturer will obviously talk bad about everyone ease's product :)
1/2 stop would be exceptional.
Two stops or more would be for blue sky darkening shots, or a poorly made CPL.

Try it with your camera and see what the exposure difference is.

Is there a better thread to discuss this? Don't want to drift off too far from the original topic.

Last edited:
One manufacturer will obviously talk bad about everyone ease's product :)
1/2 stop would be exceptional.
Two stops or more would be for blue sky darkening shots, or a poorly made CPL.

Try it with your camera and see what the exposure difference is.

My camera was stolen, in process of getting another now,

You can take a pic with just about any camera, phone, webcam, and slide the CPL in front of the lens.
Snap a picture with and without. Check the pic data.

You can take a pic with just about any camera, phone, webcam, and slide the CPL in front of the lens.
Snap a picture with and without. Check the pic data.
The only other camera I have is in a flip phone and that has never worked. So I am basically up the creek without a paddle!

Is there a better thread to discuss this? Don't want to drift off too far from the original topic.
I've already removed the varifocal from the F1 and installed it on the Maxi.

That said, I think this discussion about CPL f-stops warrants a thread of its own.

I tried using F1 as dashcam today however it was underwhelming. I had the camera affixed to the front window with the 3M tape and this holder.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...-Mobius-Action-Sports-Camera/32831527101.html

I had camera in LOOP mode at 4k@30fps spot metering(S.Fine). I had stabilization turned off. I had zoom at maximum 2x. The image was very grainy(I was told to turn off stabilization in the past but do you think it would help with the graininess due to vibration of driving?). I also hated the lens perspective. The lens was late picking up what I was seeing(even with 2x zoom?). It would be like 1/2 so if natural focal length of the eye is 50mm on a full frame, this would be like 25mm.

Would this lens work?

4K Lens 12Megapixel Fixed M12 Lens 8mm Long Distance View 1/1.7 inch For IMX226 IMX178 4K IP CCTV camera or 4K Action Camera

• Brand Name: fulekan
  • Model Number: M12-8IR(12MP)
  • Focal Length: 8.0mm
  • Material: Metal
  • Optical: Glass
  • Resolution: 12Megapixel
  • Format: 1/1.8 inch
  • Angle: 70 degree
  • Mount: M12
  • Focal Length: 8mm
  • Aperture: F2.0
  • Distance: About 15-25 Meters
  • Sensor: IMX226/IMX178

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4K-...5mm-Lens-M12-1-2-3-IR-Filter/32866191547.html

• Brand Name: TREEYE
  • Model Number: M12-4.35MM-10MP
  • Focal length: 4.35mm
  • Resolution: 10.0Megapixel
  • Mount: M12*P0.5
  • Iris: Fixed
  • Horizontal viewing angle: 72degrees
  • Aperture: F2.4
  • IR filter: Built-in
  • Image format: 1/2.3"

I want to find a lens with an effective fixed zoom of 2-3x with this camera.

Last edited:
I tried using F1 as dashcam today however it was underwhelming. I had the camera affixed to the front window with the 3M tape and this holder.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...-Mobius-Action-Sports-Camera/32831527101.html

I had camera in LOOP mode at 4k@30fps spot metering(S.Fine). I had stabilization turned off. I had zoom at maximum 2x. The image was very grainy(I was told to turn off stabilization in the past but do you think it would help with the graininess due to vibration of driving?). I also hated the lens perspective. The lens was late picking up what I was seeing(even with 2x zoom?). It would be like 1/2 so if natural focal length of the eye is 50mm on a full frame, this would be like 25mm.

Would this lens work?

4K Lens 12Megapixel Fixed M12 Lens 8mm Long Distance View 1/1.7 inch For IMX226 IMX178 4K IP CCTV camera or 4K Action Camera

• Brand Name: fulekan
  • Model Number: M12-8IR(12MP)
  • Focal Length: 8.0mm
  • Material: Metal
  • Optical: Glass
  • Resolution: 12Megapixel
  • Format: 1/1.8 inch
  • Angle: 70 degree
  • Mount: M12
  • Focal Length: 8mm
  • Aperture: F2.0
  • Distance: About 15-25 Meters
  • Sensor: IMX226/IMX178

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4K-...5mm-Lens-M12-1-2-3-IR-Filter/32866191547.html

• Brand Name: TREEYE
  • Model Number: M12-4.35MM-10MP
  • Focal length: 4.35mm
  • Resolution: 10.0Megapixel
  • Mount: M12*P0.5
  • Iris: Fixed
  • Horizontal viewing angle: 72degrees
  • Aperture: F2.4
  • IR filter: Built-in
  • Image format: 1/2.3"

I want to find a lens with an effective fixed zoom of 2-3x with this camera.
Stabilisation doesn't work at 4K, plus it's not really suitable for general driving anyway. I don't think it helps with graininess at all.

If you were recording with 2x zoom and 4K, the camera is actually taking the central 1920x1080 from the sensor and enlarging it 2x to make the 4K file. If you want the FOV you get from the 2x setting, I recommend that you record at 1080p.

The sharpening level affects grain quite a lot. High gives a very noisy image, but also a fair bit of detail. Low is too soft in my opinion. I tend to stick with Medium with the F1.

The Treeye 4.35mm lens might be a good choice for you. GitUp have released their own 90deg lens version of the F1. I'm not sure if they are going to sell the lens separately.

Tony what were your thoughts on the image quality since you were using 5 MP lens on an 8 MP sensor?

I tried playing around with F1 and 6-22mm lens today but only briefly in my hallway. I got it to focus at its fully retracted, 6mm?, but the image quality wasn't the greatest.

Tony what were your thoughts on the image quality since you were using 5 MP lens on an 8 MP sensor?

I tried playing around with F1 and 6-22mm lens today but only briefly in my hallway. I got it to focus at its fully retracted, 6mm?, but the image quality wasn't the greatest.
I only used it for a few days - it's now mounted on a Mobius Maxi instead. I thought the image quality was reasonable, but the F1 sensor seems too slow for dashcam use and was giving more motion blur than I would like.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
TonyM F1 0
Back