GitUp F1C - 4K F1.8 130° FOV

Now we need a video player with good zoom, otherwise I need a 4K monitor and magnifying glass to read the distant plates!
even if you can only play 1080p video if you take a snapshot in VLC you get the full 4k native res file, find a point of interest and take a screenshot and you'll be able to zoom in, video looks pretty ordinary at 1080p but looks good at 4k

even if you can only play 1080p video if you take a snapshot in VLC you get the full 4k native res file, find a point of interest and take a screenshot and you'll be able to zoom in, video looks pretty ordinary at 1080p but looks good at 4k
No need to take a screenshot in VLC, it has a pretty good zoom. Even on my 1080 monitor it can show full 4K at greater than native, so I don't even need the magnifying glass.

Only two issues: It doesn't play H265 at anywhere near real time on my computer, and turning the zoom on requires a good memory for where to find it!

Tools / Effects and Filters / Video Effects / Interactive Zoom, and then don't miss the zoom level control under the overview box.

My guess is that the capacitor is 5V and will blow up the battery model, while the capacitor version can manage with both the 5V capacitor and 3.7V battery but will charge the battery at 5V causing a fire :unsure:

Not sure I understand what would happen if you put a capacitor from the F1C into an F1. I can see why you maybe wouldn't want to charge a capacitor to 5.4V in the F1C and then put it into the F1 which is only expecting 3.7V from a battery (or maybe it can handle it, I don't know) but surely if you put a discharged capacitor into the F1 then it will only charge it to 3.7V so that would be OK ?

Not sure I understand what would happen if you put a capacitor from the F1C into an F1. I can see why you maybe wouldn't want to charge a capacitor to 5.4V in the F1C and then put it into the F1 which is only expecting 3.7V from a battery (or maybe it can handle it, I don't know) but surely if you put a discharged capacitor into the F1 then it will only charge it to 3.7V so that would be OK ?
That would work, but two problems:
  • At 3.7V charge, the capacitor will not contain enough power to allow the F1 to close the file when shutting down, so you will have to remember to stop recording and turn the camera off before removing power, so you might as well leave the battery compartment empty!
  • After doing it a few times you will forget to discharge the capacitor before installing it, and it is quite likely that putting 5 volts into a camera designed for 3.7 with kill the camera.

That would work, but two problems:
  • At 3.7V charge, the capacitor will not contain enough power to allow the F1 to close the file when shutting down, so you will have to remember to stop recording and turn the camera off before removing power, so you might as well leave the battery compartment empty!
  • After doing it a few times you will forget to discharge the capacitor before installing it, and it is quite likely that putting 5 volts into a camera designed for 3.7 with kill the camera.

OK, thanks Nigel.
The second problem wouldn't be an issue for me personally as I don't intend to buy an F1C, just the capacitor. However, the first problem is obviously a showstopper for dashcam use. I'd like to believe that the capacitor has been over-specified so that there's still enough juice from just a 3.7V charge, maybe using shorter file segments might help?

OK, thanks Nigel.
The second problem wouldn't be an issue for me personally as I don't intend to buy an F1C, just the capacitor. However, the first problem is obviously a showstopper for dashcam use. I'd like to believe that the capacitor has been over-specified so that there's still enough juice from just a 3.7V charge, maybe using shorter file segments might help?
I imagine that 3.7V is almost empty, the amount of power stored in a capacitor does not increase linearly with voltage, plus the camera probably can't get the last bit below 3.4V, although the F1 will actually charge the capacitor to around 4.2V. Also, I assume that the F1C firmware will shut the camera down due to low voltage a lot faster than the F1 will since it knows the capacitor will not last long.

cape15.gif

I assume that the F1C firmware will shut the camera down due to low voltage a lot faster than the F1 will since it knows the capacitor will not last long.
The F1C does indeed shut down much faster than the F1, even though both have the 'dashcam' power mode selected, so that is a difference in the firmware. The F1C shuts down almost instantly, whereas the F1 continues to record for a few seconds.

The F1C does indeed shut down much faster than the F1, even though both have the 'dashcam' power mode selected, so that is a difference in the firmware. The F1C shuts down almost instantly, whereas the F1 continues to record for a few seconds.
Even when on battery?

Even when on battery?
I have not tried swapping battery and capacitor, so my comments refer to a capacitor in the F1C and a battery in the F1.

I received the F1C from GitUp for testing. GitUp advised that the F1C is not compatible with the F1 battery. I don't want to risk damage to either camera, battery or capacitor that would restrict future testing to assist with firmware development.

GitUp F1C 4K - Rear Camera

Whilst I have been busy testing the Viofo A129 Pro 4K, I have also been testing the F1C as a 4K rear-facing camera.

The matchbox size and low profile of the GitUp F1 camera allows it to be mounted at the top of the rear window. In my case, I am fortunate that it can be stuck directly to the window trim and achieve a decent view. Here you can see it installed alongside the A129 Pro rear camera. Note that when viewed through the rear view mirror, the F1C has a smaller profile than the A129 rear camera.

y4mOxX4pgTVwGabgP9Sd2m9GIlQNnwixplyMLXQYW-RvNVOPDOc4Qmx01nP2NW7dJW8aU33FXvhiV0tcs9vL0t0YhcJCo8JXtSutM1DCl5aGrIkQ3zH5YAZo7m2uEkIXHvJOXBs1GSQ81r--BhAMbj3BsHoORUkVKsApkznk1RH9p4CwR9R1s-D_PDEs_fVhJr-RjeGiyejgEYSCORUZa0l3Q

y4ms9dcwRPxe90QEVSji-GKCEgJO0-EKYEb85sdau5y8PyDa3jWGcFNCaPj5MgtYgxNVMFeCChLU3i6UAS-qrLe8xjoDv5sZVfWrIFrnqmgvyFTV4c0CgTv3nwHyx1wSAM8QuGQsvzGztREHSy-z7FGh_COUVgtNl9aHB8EbDRo5In262EbUSAOTxbkxFBgUyPhNIEMGumrkgSGxxgJtJgpFA

Sample Video : 4K 30fps / Maximum bitrate 72Mbps / Auto WB / GitUp colour profile

Sample 4K single frame
y4mMgE3RP-HRJmdH2w2WaG1YAXB_fuO-MT3Z0uycjsiAAqHY8OoTqZYhROMDebf8UaYXJ-iBhUMONjfEzXB7DhLPyuKp4JWAxDZJFKhG-SzLs8dzw56AdCZxNrqhY9LG38j2h6ShN416yC-OWkSHiHnZbnu39ocNaMnvuZK4zFc_b-TaIZ92k1BQcey0CTq0PbJj-gGtt5-VCkCVxamPSVp5Q

The Auto WB has a blue colour cast to it. Apart from that, the F1C makes a great 4K rear camera with edge-to-edge fine detail and good dynamic range.

GitUp F1C 4K - Rear Camera

Whilst I have been busy testing the Viofo A129 Pro 4K, I have also been testing the F1C as a 4K rear-facing camera.

The matchbox size and low profile of the GitUp F1 camera allows it to be mounted at the top of the rear window. In my case, I am fortunate that it can be stuck directly to the window trim and achieve a decent view. Here you can see it installed alongside the A129 Pro rear camera. Note that when viewed through the rear view mirror, the F1C has a smaller profile than the A129 rear camera.

y4mOxX4pgTVwGabgP9Sd2m9GIlQNnwixplyMLXQYW-RvNVOPDOc4Qmx01nP2NW7dJW8aU33FXvhiV0tcs9vL0t0YhcJCo8JXtSutM1DCl5aGrIkQ3zH5YAZo7m2uEkIXHvJOXBs1GSQ81r--BhAMbj3BsHoORUkVKsApkznk1RH9p4CwR9R1s-D_PDEs_fVhJr-RjeGiyejgEYSCORUZa0l3Q

y4ms9dcwRPxe90QEVSji-GKCEgJO0-EKYEb85sdau5y8PyDa3jWGcFNCaPj5MgtYgxNVMFeCChLU3i6UAS-qrLe8xjoDv5sZVfWrIFrnqmgvyFTV4c0CgTv3nwHyx1wSAM8QuGQsvzGztREHSy-z7FGh_COUVgtNl9aHB8EbDRo5In262EbUSAOTxbkxFBgUyPhNIEMGumrkgSGxxgJtJgpFA

Sample Video : 4K 30fps / Maximum bitrate 72Mbps / Auto WB / GitUp colour profile

Sample 4K single frame
y4mMgE3RP-HRJmdH2w2WaG1YAXB_fuO-MT3Z0uycjsiAAqHY8OoTqZYhROMDebf8UaYXJ-iBhUMONjfEzXB7DhLPyuKp4JWAxDZJFKhG-SzLs8dzw56AdCZxNrqhY9LG38j2h6ShN416yC-OWkSHiHnZbnu39ocNaMnvuZK4zFc_b-TaIZ92k1BQcey0CTq0PbJj-gGtt5-VCkCVxamPSVp5Q

The Auto WB has a blue colour cast to it. Apart from that, the F1C makes a great 4K rear camera with edge-to-edge fine detail and good dynamic range.

Thanks Tony. 4k for rear cam is awesome!

GitUp F1C 4K - Comparison to A129 Pro rear camera

I have angled the F1C downwards with a thin wedge so that the bottom edge of the rear window comes into view. I think this gives a better context for the rear video in relation to the car and its surroundings.

This video was recorded this morning in dull, cloudy conditions.

This is the same video, cropped vertically for comparison to the A129 Pro rear camera. The F1C field of view is narrower than the A129 rear camera. The F1C has a clear resolution advantage, however the A129 Pro has significantly less motion blur thanks to its IMX291 Starvis sensor.

y4myFR_tesy3qvPHQ6cDB9lGFPWCe98UXEr2sX8EJUtxgSCg-lLT3ni6HDHJmNKQnxhgItdnBYNBRYYkRO7pqX2rKK_lvyim-7GJc1lT99FnO8Hf-pgpKBPoiCOG-owtrAe05TP4Sa3Fg0Fybo4nJ69riSdOggqYS1Knbba118-wbqb-EHz_dGVG0y9RC7kScqWp7jgWaMYXKC8WdUpBBAOHA

y4mYmyeqdoyNjBE-jUv0lKU0NpMluRndrHZwI5Q0r6cELGtLg9k8-ZBBwwwDKBpULN13hawtfru-8wwVwmcmrAj7AMbhbTzsN4Wta_0E0oiIrsWxudeC5_ehEc13DTcoqYK4k2l5eHgWU2tFpHMyqPG7xRntFZu5qSdJFxrvSM3KAUUAToPqAjsrzy9ZnXv2EpRDMyfHkSNQSfPdhKkCF-BIw

Last edited:
GitUp F1C 4K - Comparison to A129 Pro rear camera

I have angled the F1C downwards with a thin wedge so that the bottom edge of the rear window comes into view. I think this gives a better context for the rear video in relation to the car and its surroundings.

This video was recorded this morning in dull, cloudy conditions.

This is the same video, cropped vertically for comparison to the A129 Pro rear camera. The F1C field of view is narrower than the A129 rear camera. The F1C has a clear resolution advantage, however the A129 Pro has significantly less motion blur thanks to its IMX291 Starvis sensor.

y4myFR_tesy3qvPHQ6cDB9lGFPWCe98UXEr2sX8EJUtxgSCg-lLT3ni6HDHJmNKQnxhgItdnBYNBRYYkRO7pqX2rKK_lvyim-7GJc1lT99FnO8Hf-pgpKBPoiCOG-owtrAe05TP4Sa3Fg0Fybo4nJ69riSdOggqYS1Knbba118-wbqb-EHz_dGVG0y9RC7kScqWp7jgWaMYXKC8WdUpBBAOHA

y4mYmyeqdoyNjBE-jUv0lKU0NpMluRndrHZwI5Q0r6cELGtLg9k8-ZBBwwwDKBpULN13hawtfru-8wwVwmcmrAj7AMbhbTzsN4Wta_0E0oiIrsWxudeC5_ehEc13DTcoqYK4k2l5eHgWU2tFpHMyqPG7xRntFZu5qSdJFxrvSM3KAUUAToPqAjsrzy9ZnXv2EpRDMyfHkSNQSfPdhKkCF-BIw

Thanks Tony. Good to know the A129 Pro rear cam has a good sensor, esp a starvis one.. can't wait for the official release to get it for an upgrade..

GitUp F1C 4K - Sunset - EV0

I put a fully-charged F1 battery into the F1C. The camera turns on, and I can navigate the menu, but it will not record. Seems that it is setup to only record on external power.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 0
J F1 1
Back