GitUp F1C 4K - First Impressions

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S, SLL
First impressions after a few days with the new GitUp F1C, a 4K action camera targeted at dashcam users with a fast F1.8 130° FOV lens and a capacitor.

y4mny608KRT4_k4J3VTNHJHIf4YdAcNRCa_JyjpOwHW_-LL88r7VDiU7N3X-KrQIMTo9kNNhuIXJ5Rz9_4QL6JBsv6bSzwlGD62MMee9XnkCYmdMH5IKfzwCIPHlpvUGh7U0uBT_dT8vaJgrxlu_SLhk65f_RIIgg_wfdHhsuYpgeuN5jzFB3AaLeje0P4Xq7RFhRyZs0no4nCGn4VFdY8XsA

As expected from GitUp, the F1C arrives in a good quality box, and is supplied with a lens cap, mounting cradle, a manual and a short USB cable.
MicroSD adapter not included - shown for scale only
Note that there is no 12v-to-USB adapter, long USB cable or a windscreen mount supplied in the box. These are available to purchase separately from GitUp.

y4mnoazYWMn0PLb3RXecGCAVfSlKbvUAjpmr12kkTDve8nq9pXwmwQkNslRQBw96rDGKWCg-diMu6Anhpqj2yRS4SzzyoKzAPkY7xNoiaeNgxNs8MNnn1VVIbFJphIBLHkiFJPTbicQ1qSEtgLiZJUTC5ONp8cbSu3u9ExBKzi1vAFzwJj4XJSEvJQ7ffoH6Ysm7cIqz2xdxm1lDDY6nhouBg

The mounting cradle has a 1/4" threaded socket for attaching to a windscreen mount or a tripod.
This socket is on a pop-out plate that can be removed easily, which then leaves a flat surface for attaching dual-lock tape for an alternative mounting method.

y4mH6409EZ7mw6eGnY_5Mz58azWuaT0Y4Cgd7aMSCJfdB3-gUmfsQ6T0RhmmJdcuyvfLMtDyc69iYbElYRtGvNUOAMOlDAD98BxlLQibJFppk0R7BJzoQw5WPSCTyNyWufIpSuzg5NbsubymHgsCokr_XxU1yZkW3cR_cYG2PCvpAmgLjbAjmVFRQ65jvXGELNPv3lp1mfVX3-c8VjQ__Lc4w

Externally, the F1C (right) appears almost identical to the F1 (left). The F1C lens has a lighter grey iris.

y4mJAslBneDGJGkj-z37vfUVQUQYzNyVZNyGR5T2PgJB6FsTyujQWuXKOQPj_WNe5QEDG_xy7a0447kOHfHv6A45Zmf9TZpb9Jqcg9uuBWolYyFAn4VMNcUnogwPsUpRYVa5Qu2thZ8aNB5VAIDdTse20xB-zliltm3y31iTxYnBfLNXkHzpBb4-y8xtJ0bakBnlJ1xIPQKWvkLAmxQ9Xp3KA

Inside the battery / capacitor compartment, we see that the battery and capacitor are identical in size.
NOTE: The F1C can be powered by the F1 battery, but the battery MUST NOT be charged within the F1C.

y4mR7i6r4KUmeksIQ27skyKtCHi0qiE3UBLZpPTpZCQ9fH2RokDChTspmb5X7pcxu8sJAqRy_GaPhx3GUP8ohV9KIH7qWrJjwT2hnrHOCafkKl70VoAld0WpjVa8HpDg4zzWUI6Xi1M557CeSNTDyO3naDlJi9oRnhwb_wXXKSxoCItBiywh8JTVpDxE_r0fNdQkGJDXB5S8Femhra5PqyVFg

The F1C has a small battery inside that retains the date & time, even if the capacitor is removed.

The F1C is shipped ready to go as a dashcam, with loop recording and auto record on startup already enabled. This will help new users to get going without worrying about camera settings.
(Future firmware updates will enable other video modes such as normal recording, time lapse, video+photo)

The startup time is about 6 seconds.

Last edited:
In daylight, the F1C produces clear, sharp 4K video with low distortion, good dynamic range and excellent detail across the full width of the scene.

At night, the fast lens helps to maintain good exposure, with detail visible in shadows. There is some video noise, and highlights like reflective number plates are sometimes over-exposed.

Sample Frames
y4mBxRGe2SFhIUgqHNdRs3E194-k-xvGLfVmq7vqwp9X0z8HVp6bGLwdz5EmEOgCnSqkTiCQfcRm1nvo6-Rk9r2GIja3SWQvSaT8H65YFs3WocbuaczAEq7E3y7cMcKWkYAXU9ffRzKtZtYd11lwn358_SiG4uJvZT2KoK89RMwl8ZOy8kGICD48hZjszBdlTQhXeyyzgLmmHc_mOGAtASZSQ

y4mxq-Tq64ZSsJ-XzOQpEIw31qyMrOBY9PPu84JiLGYdS748veoLuvUWKCyqsKYvccBIh1sRXMjYrGkPTABlRfNUTtjRbMHutxzVW05JNgUVrfnmRGvtyGPMZKPcO6RhXJKj2QLWFmq0EZZc0xbliMP5C3chBmJCvtJuHqa4ULxOSr__m6j1G4r0zeJoLGOjdqH2CQIkGp_Kk-WtrPCUuL4sw

Last edited:
The camera is good. I like its hardware. Ambarella's sores are all the same
Excessive sharpness, white balance, black level, gamma and detail...
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg
These parameters need to be adjusted...

With a narrower field of view and a faster lens, the F1C is much better than the F1 at capturing details of moving objects. For the purpose of comparison I looked at the number plates of some oncoming cars in different lighting conditions.

y4miqQyLjlJZPONPlv84JSKDs0qYGMy2-J16oWRjuqEX6pHznK-lPSCI65EjTacpWeRXrhOy18i6Wg_hIkpSFPTF5-I840CepKyYoGemevE6QtYVuCcuG1VlbvFhiTSF2uVXuWwB6qDLfqDJ1KrZd-uVJenu7uBwUe4T8KVP3BArMBpLNkQObRcvmWTqbVOI_C7CVAejywso4TJGcTKsH3Iag

y4mFayKMvmbJyyaooQAwPsBqVYhIKT6B-OQH6srSQrXtltE-PPrpILx_OM-Ap0jUAtepHYWECphUAbVmdW4r9utPlGY6lovHxGiXVRpyKMMRujBZbYxE4JeG4umAfaKoPwcz5y2rB2L1Ys7-CnHiWeTxH0yT4ttyrm4L-N6x_3B1GuK1IGbFT6-dDzIduSaYpFA2vpZus3ixi8dVXzNCzIHFw

y4mwmpRf9AFBAALThzIhFBPbXKogMTxjhjKIvEoznrhvwG7dpxL77QwNzaBMFQ2lyxoAqwKzkKThuIZgS1E56XyZqJuEhR_0WXfqjZlbogOFi1CeWbIvcKXl4k8NBMsrIHVw-D1RgPF4QW7tZvkt9Q_lW-zVnht9V-gNTOymNZge0P8oHbZGmKADFllPSFN5VEO4SKqTph76JZd57LHIeFLcQ

Both were at 'Superfine' setting, variable approx 60Mbps.
The difference in viewing angles and aperture of the lens can not be discussed. It is a fact.
But the fact that in both cases the cameras on stock firmware I shoot worse than they could, is also a fact.
I presented the screenshots and videos from this platform on a modified version of the firmware more than once.
The difference is hard not to notice. Therefore, I say that video quality can and should be improved...
https://forums.drom.ru/general/t1151435433-p974.html#post1203213664
Also in this case, the camera F1 on the edges of the frame is not very well configured lens.

Last edited:
The difference in viewing angles and aperture of the lens can not be discussed. It is a fact.
But the fact that in both cases the cameras on stock firmware I shoot worse than they could, is also a fact.
I presented the screenshots and videos from this platform on a modified version of the firmware more than once.
The difference is hard not to notice. Therefore, I say that video quality can and should be improved...
Yes, both cameras can be improved. I am simply showing the relative difference that users can expect from each camera as it comes out of the box.

just interested to see what it was at, I'm testing some 4k stuff at the moment
Better results can be achieved with lower bitrate, by using a different processor

I am simply showing the relative difference that users can expect from each camera as it comes out of the box
It is certainly interesting and useful anyway...

I am always open for suggestions for improving the product. GitUp knows where to look for me...)

Last edited:
Can the regular F1 and the new F1C use the same firmware ?

Can the regular F1 and the new F1C use the same firmware ?
I would think not as some of the settings and config used in a battery powered product won't work with capacitors, would lead to problems if they did
The lenses are different too, in terms of distortion, aperture, colouration etc.

The F1C seems nice. I'm looking for a 4k dashcam /actioncam since my MobiusMini now have a bad battery. The F1C seems to have a loop-recording mode but does it also have auto start recording when external power is provided (from a fully shutdown ca,era). Also most important for a dashcam; does it have a manual lock button?

The F1C seems nice. I'm looking for a 4k dashcam /actioncam since my MobiusMini now have a bad battery. The F1C seems to have a loop-recording mode but does it also have auto start recording when external power is provided (from a fully shutdown ca,era). Also most important for a dashcam; does it have a manual lock button?
The F1C is capacitor-only, so you will not be able to use it as a regular action camera with a battery.

Yes, it does have auto stop/start with ignition on/off. I can't remember if it has manual lock.

Note that the exposure, dynamic range and white balance are not as good as some other cameras. I think the camera is capable of good results, but it needs FW development to get up to a level where I would recommend using it as a dashcam. It's a shame because I think GitUp gave up on this project too early.

I would recommend the standard F1 over the F1C, especially if you also want to use it as an action camera.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 113
TonyM F1 0
J F1 1
Back