BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include GitUp G3 & F1 4K Action Cameras plus A129 Duo, A119S, A119, & A119PRO Dash Cams to enhance and improve image quality and function. You are invited to Post your comments, questions, ideas & footage below.
This post will be updated with all future MOD releases to keep everyone up to date.
Current Stable MODs for Public --- Updated January 24, 2019
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MOD-13H - - - January 24, 2019 > Download 13H > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJtzv-yy0iCj5RqYOx5Zx7oWL42J4csK
GIT3FW_MOD-13H_170FOV_v2.20+25Mbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin
- based on official Git3 170 FOV FW v2.20
- increased Low Bitrate 1440@30 from 24 to 25Mb/s
- increased Low Bitrate 1080@60 from 24 to 25Mb/s
- increased Low Bitrate 1080@30 from 22 to 25Mb/s
- merged Partition 0 + 1 for update compatibility.
- replaced Start & Shutdown logo with DCTeam.
- replaced WiFi-Off graphic to improve visibility.

How to Load Modified Firmware:
1) DOWNLOAD the version and modification desired.
2) COPY new FW MOD file to root of microSD card using computer.
3) RENAME the FW file from GIT3FW_MOD-13H_170FOV_v2.20+25Mbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin to GIT3FW.bin
4) Safely Remove memory card from computer.
5) Power Off Action Cam, disconnect Slave camera. (verify battery is 50% or more, else plugin charger)
6) Insert memory card with binary file into Action Cam.
7) Press front Power/Mode button to turn on Action Cam wait 60 seconds for update to restart the Camera.
8) Action Cam will restart on its own, do not turn off.
9) Enter MENU and select DEFAULT Setting.
10) Configure MENU settings Resolution, Bitrate, Sharpness, TV Mode, Date, Time Zone...

NOTE:
Computers show or hide file extensions, if you see the .bin after download make sure it stays after renaming.
If you don't see .bin file extension no need to add it since its there but hidden from view.
Git3 is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader. If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Action Cam, copy official GIT3FW.bin firmware file to microSD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

View the ReadMe and ChangeLog for details from my online MOD Archives.

Download Git3 Duo 170 FOV Modified Firmware > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dBqNoPlCcVK2_cjOBky-8EgHAtR69CoC

Forum thread GitUp G3 Duo Modified Firmware MODs Archive > https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-g3-duo-modified-firmware-mods-archive.37890/

Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTeam Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official GitUp/VIOFO releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTEAM MODS.
Send MOD Requests by clicking my DashCamTalk Avatar to start Private Conversation, Contact me on BCHobbyist YouTube Channel.

GitUp-G3-Duo-DCTeam-MODs-Logo.png

Last edited:
Finally had time to play around with my GitUp G3 Duo. Plan to make more modifications to this same Novatek NT96663 chipset based camera as the VIOFO A129 Duo. It's great to see others already making massive modifications to the Git3 90 FOV model. The Git3 4K Action Camera works well, it just needs a little attention, support and promotion.

Created a very minor Bitrate MOD-13H to boost the Low level from 22+24 to 25Mb/s just to prove it can be done the same way as A129 Dashcam firmware. Recently updated the G3 firmware with MOD-13H and drove up the Sea to Sky Highway to mountain top at Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. No Cameras were destroyed during the making of this video, much liquid was consumed at bottom of mountain where plans were made to attach GitUp F1 to helmet for following day. Just wait for that and night Snowboarding . . . I'm a Skier not a Snowboarder, decided to wear all black to hide the blood and injuries.

Good job you don't live here you would never get any snow board practise.
Was this footage filmed at 25Mbs?

Good job you don't live here you would never get any snow board practise.
Was this footage filmed at 25Mbs?
Took 2.5 hour drive up the mountains with GitUp G3 and F1 set on 1080P @60fps with 25Mb/s low bitrate MODs to save battery power. It was cloudy day and found the default image quality adjusted well and wasn't too dark. The night footage taken later on nearby Grouse Mountain using Git3 at 25Mb/s MOD-13H was better than expected with low light night vision. Both Action Cameras are 4K - 2880x2160 but I prefer 2K - 2560x1440 @30fps, plan to test the Git F1 FW1.2 using 1080P @120fps and 1440P @60fps, the camera gets warm and battery drains faster at higher frames per second.

Good to see the GitUp F1 Action Camera includes spare LB104 - 3.7volt 1010mAh Li-ion Battery.
Disappointed the G3 Duo Pro bundle didn't include spare LB103 - 3.7volt 1200mAh 4.44Wh Li-ion Battery. I'm having trouble ordering 2 spare batteries shipped to Canada and GitUp itself doesn't offer them as accessories yet.

Here is another custom firmware with numoerous tweaks and adjustments for the G3 cam: https://www.goprawn.com/forum/novatek-cams/1282-gitup-g3-duo-ex-git3?p=13126#post13126
Thanks for the MOD link. It will be fun making adjustments to yet another Novatek NT96663 chipset camera ! I'll remember to keep MODs for 170 FOV Lens separate from 90 FOV so image stabilization works correctly in both.

Just started using this G3 Action Camera recently so any Tips are greatly appreciated. Seems both my G3 and F1 are newer versions? The new G3 has improved Mic/audio from what I can tell.
Interesting the official Firmware for G3 FW2.2 includes 4K - 2880x2160 only @24fps but the smaller F1 FW1.2 includes 4K - 2880x2160 @30fps.

Decided to double the risk testing the GitUp F1 160 FOV Action Camera without waterproof case and while learning how to Snowboard, the results were better than expected. The first LB104 battery lasted 45mins recording at 1440P@60fps, footage was useless since wet snow stuck to Lens during entire ski run. The second battery (footage below) lasted 60 mins recording at 1080P@30fps but forgot to enable image stabilization. Discovered the F1 only offers image stabilization at 1920x1080 60/30fps or lower, if you set 1080P@120fps or 1440P@30fps or higher the EIS option disappears on smartphone APP and on tiny OLED screen menu. The WiFi APP does like to disconnect especially when battery is low, best to disable WiFi after configuration to extend battery life and reduce heat.

The loss of gyro/EIS on the highest res was probably due to the high frame rate on the F1 v G3. The lower Frame rate on the G3 allows the gyros/EIS enough processing time to work.

Just started using this G3 Action Camera recently so any Tips are greatly appreciated. Seems both my G3 and F1 are newer versions? The new G3 has improved Mic/audio from what I can tell.
Does it have stereo now? It has always had reasonable audio, but only in mono.

Only real tip for the G3 is not to use WDR (same issue as for the A129), and it is really a 1080 camera, the higher resolutions are not really worth using. The zoom is excellent, using the full sensor resolution unlike most action cameras that came before it which zoomed in on the 1080 image instead of the raw 4K sensor image. It removes some fisheye so I often leave it set with a bit of zoom.

WDR definitely a NO NO. As you said 1080p is the best but 1440p and 2160p are nice if you can live with lower frame rates. I like 1.6 times on zoom it removes most of the fish eye effect. I currently use the free Hitfilm Express to edit along with their free Ignite Express plugins which has a plugin to un warp the Go Pro fish eye but works well with the G3 with slight Plugin settings adjustment.

It's still only mono.

The loss of gyro/EIS on the highest res was probably due to the high frame rate on the F1 v G3. The lower Frame rate on the G3 allows the gyros/EIS enough processing time to work.
without a doubt the GitUp G3 with image stabilization working on 1440P is my favorite Action Camera. All electronic (non-motor) image stabilization does reduce image quality slightly but creates a better viewer experience so I leave it enabled. I am impressed the smaller F1 supports larger 4K resolution and 1080P@120fps but without EIS. I'll see if my buddies GoPro battery fits in either the G3 or F1 but doubt the contacts line up.

without a doubt the GitUp G3 with image stabilization working on 1440P is my favorite Action Camera. All electronic (non-motor) image stabilization does reduce image quality slightly but creates a better viewer experience so I leave it enabled. I am impressed the smaller F1 supports larger 4K resolution and 1080P@120fps but without EIS. I'll see if my buddies GoPro battery fits in either the G3 or F1 but doubt the contacts line up.
The F1 uses a Xiaomi Yi battery AZ13-1.

Next comparison G3 test footage clearing shows improved image quality at 1440P vs 1080P@30fps which is expected.
My G3 preferred configuration settings > MOD-13H + 1440P@30fps + Zoom 1.6 + Bitrate Med + WDR off + Gyro on + Sharp Med + Low Light on + Metering Center + Exposure 0 + Color Normal + Contrast Med + Bitrate Med + Mic High + WB Auto + G-sensor off + GPS off + Slave off + Front LEDs off + WiFi off.

G3 has single mono microphone but could be different version. No hum,hiss,noise with no wind even on high level, its not perfect and better than F1 mic. Don't expect the Mic to work well when inside the waterproof case, but the underwater footage audio is interesting.

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist will you be creating a separate F1 FW thread?

I have both G3 and F1 so will be interested to see how this FW development goes

Wasn't sure what to expect strapping the G3 in waterproof case on my helmet and down the mountain at night, very surprised we both made it down at the same time. Image quality could have been better if the EIS GYRO setting was enabled but I forgot to check it. No way was going to risk the F1 without waterproof case on this hill, planned on recording Git3 using 1440P@30fps but ran out of time.

Quite a difference from Dashcam footage. Looks good as low light video. Pity you did not get the chance with the G3.

The F1 uses a Xiaomi Yi battery AZ13-1.
good F1 battery tip, thanks, bigger question is there an alternate for G3 battery LB103 - 3.7volt 1200mAh 4.44Wh Li-ion Rechargeable ?

Created this G3 170 FOV 1440P video to demonstrate 1.6x Zoom + Bitrate medium + Gyro Electronic Image Stabilization + Sharpness medium + Colorful setting near Downtown Vancouver.

good F1 battery tip, thanks, bigger question is there an alternate for G3 battery LB103 - 3.7volt 1200mAh 4.44Wh Li-ion Rechargeable ?
Not that I know of. My original G3 battery has done very well. With the Git2 I was always running out of battery and needing to swap it in the middle of filming, but the G3 almost never runs out so I've never bothered to get a second one! I do carry a powerbank for recharging between filming sessions, or if it is on a tripod for an extended time then I will plug the powerbank in while filming.

I can vouch for the LB103 from Banggood you have to wait a while to get it but is the same quality as the original with a different serial number. That's if they will sent to your country. No problem for the UK.

BCHobbyist what is that duck standing on or is the water really that shallow?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
I Git3 8
A Git3 13
TonyM Git3 23
Back