Gitup G3 Settings Thread

Alex2303

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello all,
I was missing a thread about seetings of the G3. I just got it and would like to speed up the process of finding the best settings for my use cases.

So I am wondering which settings you would suggest for:
1. Mountainbiking in daylight on a chest mount without a gimble.
2. Diving from 10 to 20 meters without a physical filter in normal blue water. For example red sea.

Thanks.
Greetings Alex

Start with the defaults.

Stick with 1080 resolution, preferably 60fps.

1. You will want the gyro stabiliser turned on. Setting the metering to "Car DVR" is probably good for a bike, unless you want to keep the clouds with good exposure.

2. You may want to set the White Balance to "Custom" and then set the Custom White Balance with increased red to balance out the loss of red light in deep water, how much will depend on how deep you go, best to put not quite enough and then finish the correction during editing. Depending on the colour of the water you may also want some extra green. The gyro stabiliser is probably a good idea too, and you might want some zoom if you are interested in smaller underwater things, even though it is digital zoom you can use up to x2.2 without being able to see significant loss of quality.

In both cases you may want to turn the bitrate up, but that will decrease the amount you can record on the card so is not always a good idea.
Also, you may want to turn the audio volume up.

I normally set the Color to "Colorful", especially good for underwater because it allows for more accurate colour correction during editing.

Not sure he should use EIS as he have gimbal on his chest mount ? at least i would do a test in this regard.

Maybe the GIT 3 can get a dive mode wit the red color a bit amped up, but i actually have no idea of the value of this Vs using a actual filter for diving.
Personally i am not that much of a extremist when it come to video fidelity, but i am sure if i whent diving i cool place with nice colorfull fish i would like them to look good, but i also dident want to travel and dive with a huge setup.

Thanks a lot dor the advice. About the custom white balance. So far i was wondering that there are two settings. One seems to increase red, the other one blue i guess. Cant see a setting for green. Also you can not decrease just increase. Is that correct? I wonder who wants to increase blue. Not really for diving.

Thanks a lot dor the advice. About the custom white balance. So far i was wondering that there are two settings. One seems to increase red, the other one blue i guess. Cant see a setting for green. Also you can not decrease just increase. Is that correct? I wonder who wants to increase blue. Not really for diving.
If you start with them both on their mid value then they can both be increased and decreased, to increase green you reduce both red and blue. Red, blue and green are relative so it doesn't make sense to set all three, you are setting the balance between them. I haven't actually used the custom WB on the G3, but it worked fine on the Git2 and the setup looks the same.

Not sure he should use EIS as he have gimbal on his chest mount ? at least i would do a test in this regard.
Actually he said no gimbal, but using EIS with a gimbal can help, a gimbal can only move on 3 axis, the EIS can correct 6 axis, also the EIS is a lot faster than a gimbal and can correct jello caused by vibrations and the rolling shutter. The result depends a bit on the gimbal, may be better with EIS, or worse.

Argh :rolleyes::oops: selective reading again, or maybe i just need to go to bed, been hard at work helping friend today, and will be hard at work helping my nice tomorrow getting her new apartment set up with electricity and what not her +20 YO boyfriend cant do.
Kinda funny, i thought all this newfangled modern world stuff would make people smarter,,,,, but it seem to have the opposite effect, kids / young people are pretty inept today.

Change a light bulb - call uncle / put up sealing light - call uncle / change a spark plug,,, google spark plug,,,,, this look complicated,,,, call uncle.

I was building my own light show ( kit ) when i was like 10, still already then i knew how to use a soldering iron and to follow a manual so the components got oriented the right way, and then wire it all up and have 3 fancy microphone controlled flashing lights.
I would like to say ICs kill brain cells, but by that account i should be lying on the floor now drooling and going GU GU GA GA.

Argh :rolleyes::oops: selective reading again, or maybe i just need to go to bed, been hard at work helping friend today, and will be hard at work helping my nice tomorrow getting her new apartment set up with electricity and what not her +20 YO boyfriend cant do.
Kinda funny, i thought all this newfangled modern world stuff would make people smarter,,,,, but it seem to have the opposite effect, kids / young people are pretty inept today.

Change a light bulb - call uncle / put up sealing light - call uncle / change a spark plug,,, google spark plug,,,,, this look complicated,,,, call uncle.

I was building my own light show ( kit ) when i was like 10, still already then i knew how to use a soldering iron and to follow a manual so the components got oriented the right way, and then wire it all up and have 3 fancy microphone controlled flashing lights.
I would like to say ICs kill brain cells, but by that account i should be lying on the floor now drooling and going GU GU GA GA.
Now that new light bulbs are all LED and only need changing every 20 years, people will need to call an electrician to change them soon because they will have no idea!

Bring out depth of color in corals and fish with a video light!

If you start with them both on their mid value then they can both be increased and decreased, to increase green you reduce both red and blue. Red, blue and green are relative so it doesn't make sense to set all three, you are setting the balance between them. I haven't actually used the custom WB on the G3, but it worked fine on the Git2 and the setup looks the same.

Somehow I am still confused with custom wb. Both values blue and red have arrow up and down. When you press up the respective colour increases from 0 up to 19. But when you go down it jumps directly to 19 so the highest value.

Maybe putting both values at 10 is the neutral. Because the 0/0 default looks very green. Would make sense to me then.
But funny that gitup designed it that way.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about wbs? I made a little testride (bike) today and had it on. Looked pretty nice. But was very short ride as it is too cold for me. ;)

Also not sure when to change exposure and low light mode. Maybe just leave it a default?

Somehow I am still confused with custom wb. Both values blue and red have arrow up and down. When you press up the respective colour increases from 0 up to 19. But when you go down it jumps directly to 19 so the highest value.

Maybe putting both values at 10 is the neutral. Because the 0/0 default looks very green. Would make sense to me then.
But funny that gitup designed it that way.
I think it should go from -10 to +10 instead of 0 to 19, but since the values are all relative, if you know that green is fixed at 10 then it does make sense.

Having the two values variable and third fixed is the only system that makes sense and gives you full adjustment, much better than other cameras that only let you choose colour temperature where you don't get full control since you only have 1 value to set so it is only 1 dimensional.

What do you guys think about wbs? I made a little testride (bike) today and had it on. Looked pretty nice. But was very short ride as it is too cold for me. ;)

Also not sure when to change exposure and low light mode. Maybe just leave it a default?
If you mean WDR then I don't use it on the G3 since it can give some odd effects in dark areas of the image, it is OK for use as a dashcam but not so good for movies.

Hello again,

Another question on white balancing. Would you rather use auto white balance or the bespoke settings?
For example for mtb riding. I go in and out of the woods, so in and out of shade.

Would you still go with sunny if it is sunny and cluody if its cloudy or maybe auto?

Also I was using it as a camcorder on my trip to london and had very bad colour effects in faces.
Maybe reason was wdr or colour setting colourfull. Not sure had forgotten to turn wdr off after resetting the settings.
Any idea. See snapshot from footage below.

Thanks.

7E0D441E-56AD-4DB4-9DF7-58C2AC080EE0.png

Hello again,

Another question on white balancing. Would you rather use auto white balance or the bespoke settings?
For example for mtb riding. I go in and out of the woods, so in and out of shade.

Would you still go with sunny if it is sunny and cluody if its cloudy or maybe auto?

Also I was using it as a camcorder on my trip to london and had very bad colour effects in faces.
Maybe reason was wdr or colour setting colourfull. Not sure had forgotten to turn wdr off after resetting the settings.
Any idea. See snapshot from footage below.

Thanks.

View attachment 37354
This looks like WDR is not the best choice for subtle skin tones. I normally leave WDR off when using my G3.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
I Git3 8
TonyM Git3 23
Back