GitUp Git2 action cam (1080p/2K 60fps, Novatek 96660, Sony Exmor IMX206, WiFi) review

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
GitUp Git2 (Pro) action cam (1080p/2K 60fps, Novatek 96660, Sony Exmor IMX206, WiFi) review

Thanks to GitUp and Pier28 for supplying these units.

Product Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01DQ6UXUGOfficial website: http://www.gitup.com/home/12-gitup-git2-action-camera-pro-packing.html

Review:

Today, I’m taking a look at the oddly named GitUp Git2 (Pro Packing) action cam. It has the familiar GoPro style body enclosed in a removable waterproof case (rated for 30m), and is compatible with all GoPro mounts. The Git2 features the Novatek 96660 chip with a 16MP Sony Exmor IMX206 CMOS (same as that found in the Xiaomi Yi). It looks like the GitUp designers had more in mind than just an action cam. The Git2 has the typical dashcam features such as auto start up/shut down, seemless-loop cycle recording, motion detection, G-sensor, screen saver, and more – no GPS, however.

The Git2 has a built-in WiFi feature. When paired with a mobile device, you can perform basic tasks like review/ delete footage, as well as change camera settings on the fly. You could also do this on the camera directly with the 1.5” LCD screen and button presses. GitUp is currently working on their App for the Git cameras, and is expected to have it completed within the next 2 months. In the meantime, GitUp recommends using the “FinalCam” app (free download for iOS and Android).

With regards to video quality, I would rate it as decent in both night and day. I was a little disappointed with the video quality at 2560x1440p. It’s not grainy, washed out nor terribly flawed, but it’s just not sharp -- and it’s not ‘cause of YouTube’s compression either. I found that the RAW video files were a little fuzzy taken right off the SD card. See sample clips and try to judge for yourself.

So why choose this camera over the Xiaomi Yi or another budget action cam?

1) External microphone support. The Git2 is one of the few budget dashcams that works with an external (mini USB) microphone out of the box. The built-in internal mic is not half bad either – better than the Xiaomi Yi.

2) Gyroscope Image Stabilization. This really works! Take a look at the sample clips and you can see how stable the video remains as I drive on bumpy Toronto roads. You get the illusion as if the Git2 is floating, while my car is bouncing around.

3) Remote control RF watch. I have the optional RF watch, which allows you perform four key actions instantly from your wrist (ie. WiFi, photo, video, power off). Easy to pair with the camera. Not sure if waterproof though.

4) 2560x1440p (2K) resolution. The Git2 can record in true 1440p 30fps, whereas most other cameras, such as the Xiaomi Yi, top out at 1080p 60fps.

Following the formula of the original SJ4000, you get a ton of accessories and mounts bundled with the camera. At $109.99USD, there is certainly a lot of value in the Git2 Pro. In my opinion, this action cam would be ideal for situations that could take advantage of the unique features of the Git2, like on a drone. The RF watch, gyroscope, external mic and AV output, would be extremely useful and/or convenient to have. Sadly, the Git2 doesn’t offer razer sharp image quality as I had initially hoped for.

Note: GitUp is constantly releasing firmware updates for the Git1 and Git2 cameras. Features listed and image quality from this review may not be the most current.

Sample Clips:

Will try to upload a better day video, if the sun ever comes out.

Stock Photos:

gitup-git2-pro-action-camera.jpg

gitup-git2-pro-action-camera.jpg

Specifications and feature list:

• Chipset: Novatek NTK96660
  • Lens: High quality all glass elements
  • Angle of View: 170°, 120°
  • Sensor: Sony Exmor IMX206 16MP
  • LCD Display: 1.5 inches LCD screen
  • Video Resolution: 2160P HD video: 2880 x 2160; 24fps (interpolated); 1440P HD video: 2560 x 1440; 30fps; 1296P HD video: 2304 x 1296; 30fps; 1080P HD video: 1920 x 1080; 60fps; 1080P HD video: 1920 x 1080; 30fps; 720P HD video: 1280 x 720; 120fps; 720P HD video: 1280 x 720; 60fps; 720P HD video: 1280 x 720; 30fps; WVGA video: 848 x 480; 30fps; VGA: 648 x 480; 240fps
  • Video Format: H.264 encoder, MP4 video container
  • Video Loop Mode: Supported
  • Photo Resolutions: 16MP(4608*3456), 12MP (4032*3024), 8MP (3264*2448), 5MP (2592*1944), 3MP (2048*1536)
  • Time Lapse Photo: 2 sec. / 5 sec. / 10 sec. / 30 sec. / 60 sec.
  • Shutter Speed: 1/30 Sec. / 2 Sec. / 5 Sec. / 10 Sec. / 15 Sec. / 20 Sec. / 30 Sec / 1 Min.
  • Microphone & Speaker: Built-in microphone, Monaural speaker
  • External microphone: supported
  • HD Video Out: Micro HDMI (HDMI cable sold separately)
  • Analog Video Out: Mini USB (AV-Out composite cable sold separately)
  • Quick start recording: Supported
  • G-sensor: Supported
  • Wi-Fi: Supported
  • Remote Control: Optional
  • Ports: Mini USB, Micro HDMI, MicroSD
  • Storage: microSD memory card up to 64GB capacity supported (Class 10/UHS-1 recommended)
  • Battery: 950mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery
  • Battery life: up to 90 minutes in FullHD mode
  • USB Charging: DC 5V 1000 mA
  • Camera weight: 64g
  • Camera with housing weight: 154g
  • Dimensions: 59 x 30 x 41mm

Box contents:

• 1 x GIT2 Camera
  • 1 x 30M Waterproof Casing
  • 1 x Lens Protective Case
  • 1 x Dashcam Frame
  • 1 x 950mAh Removable Battery
  • 1 x Bike Roll Bar Mount
  • 1 x USB Data Cable
  • 1 x Flat Adhesive Mount
  • 1 x Curve Adhesive Mount
  • 1 x Long Screw
  • 1 x Short Screw
  • 1 x Long Connector
  • 1 x Short Connector
  • 1 x Tripod Mount
  • 1 x Adapter
  • 1 x Quick Release Buckle
  • 1 x Quick start guide

Optional GitUp branded mounts and accessories:
  • RF Wrist Remote Control Watch
  • External microphone
  • FPV Cable
  • etc...

Last edited:
Your daylight video looks reasonably sharp considering the lack of daylight, most of the blur is motion blur due to slow shutter speed in the low light. Hopefully it will be a lot sharper in sunlight.

That's basically what Bill @gitup told me as well. He said the Sony IM206 just doesn't compare to the IMX322 in regards to low light video capabilities. Maybe they will go back to the IMX322 for the Git3... best of both cameras.

That's basically what Bill @gitup told me as well. He said the Sony IM206 just doesn't compare to the IMX322 in regards to low light video capabilities. Maybe they will go back to the IMX322 for the Git3... best of both cameras.
But to get the extra sensitivity the 322 used in the Git1 has pixels 8x the size, so can only fit 2 MP on the sensor instead of 16MP. They are both good, but the 206 does need more light.

Sorry, wrong post!!!

Anyway, really good review! Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Great review as it helped me decide to buy the git2~ Thanks

I noticed in your daytime video (overcast) I was easily able to read license plates on the cars in front of you and while driving past. Too me, that is pretty damn good!

stabilization suprisingly looks good when applied appropriately

Thanks to @gitup, I have the external microphone and dual slot battery charger to test. So far everything is working as it should. My initial sample clips didn't look that great but I suspect it may be due to the low light situation; I will be doing some more sample daytime videos with my Git2 and external microphone in the next few days and will report the results.

KgorvVjh.jpg
7CZehuOh.jpg

6StcEaTh.jpg
SIxCVtyh.jpg
mcMW8RKh.jpg

Here are the new video samples, using the external microphone. Still not entirely impressed with the video quality... maybe I got a bad camera? Any ideas?

Revisiting the GitUp Git2, a brand new unit this time. I tested it using 1080p 60fps. I think the video quality is a tad better than 1440p 30fps (sample clips in the OP). See below and compare for yourself:

Back