Gitup quality control/ lens issues

Leecam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Git2
Hi

I've been meaning to post a few times now as i've had various general questions but i've had problems with the units i've received so have never had much chance to have a play with one properly.

Last month, i ordered my first Git2. It had a scratch across the middle of the lens so i returned it.

A week later, i ordered another Git2 from a different supplier. This one had a lens which wasn't straight in the housing and also had a visible scratch/ gouge on the lens so i returned it.

Today, i received my third Git2 and this one appears to be free of scratches but it looks like it has some dust stuck inside the lens, right near the centre, just offset from the centre eye part. It stays in the same position regardless of the light source angle or rotation of unit or torch light around the lens.

My question - Do you think that this dust inside will cause a problem for me or should i return it? I'm a little short of time at the moment so it's difficult for me to test the camera under all conditions and check for artifacts in the recorded files. If i do return it, i'm going to have to look at alternative cameras models as i can't keep gambling like. lol

I'm attaching a couple of photos with the offending part circled in red. Ignore the other dust particles as they're all on the outside and can be moved with the microfibre cloth.

20160627_170213.jpg 20160627_170413.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

I would ask Gitup about the legitimacy of your suppliers, they can probably help. I would send a pm! Use the search option top right of home page.

Take a photo of a white wall, if you cant see a dark area caused by the dust then don't worry. If it is dust then there is a good chance it will fall to the edge of the lens out of the way at some point anyway.

I've seen very few issues with Gitup cameras, the scratched ones must be returned ones, they should come with plastic over the lens and be spotless underneath?

Hi

I've been meaning to post a few times now as i've had various general questions but i've had problems with the units i've received so have never had much chance to have a play with one properly.

Last month, i ordered my first Git2. It had a scratch across the middle of the lens so i returned it.

A week later, i ordered another Git2 from a different supplier. This one had a lens which wasn't straight in the housing and also had a visible scratch/ gouge on the lens so i returned it.

Today, i received my third Git2 and this one appears to be free of scratches but it looks like it has some dust stuck inside the lens, right near the centre, just offset from the centre eye part. It stays in the same position regardless of the light source angle or rotation of unit or torch light around the lens.

My question - Do you think that this dust inside will cause a problem for me or should i return it? I'm a little short of time at the moment so it's difficult for me to test the camera under all conditions and check for artifacts in the recorded files. If i do return it, i'm going to have to look at alternative cameras models as i can't keep gambling like. lol

I'm attaching a couple of photos with the offending part circled in red. Ignore the other dust particles as they're all on the outside and can be moved with the microfibre cloth.

View attachment 24107 View attachment 24108

Thanks for any advice.

I'm surprised as I've personally packed hundreds of these for our customers and not seen these issues. I feel like it is a supplier. Any of these http://www.gitup.com/en/content/13-authorized-Distributors
?

Hi,

Back in May, the first one i ordered was though Amazon.co.uk. It was from a seller who uses them for fulfillment of orders (Fulfilled by Amazon) to the UK as far as i can tell. It had a clear plastic lens protection sticker. It was in good condition yet the glass dome underneath still had a scratch which wasn't too easy to see with the naked eye but that lit up once light was shone on it.

A week later, the second one was from a seller on Ebay. I went there to make sure i got different batch. This one had a blue lens protection sticker on. I held my breath as I peeled it away (hoping it would be good) only to find a scratch that was clear to the naked eye and that really lit up when using a strong source of light. Here is a photo of the second unit's scratch.
20160603_170225.jpg

The third one (received today, i waited a nearly a month to order it as i couldn't decide what to do) was from Amazon.co.uk again. This one also has a blue lens protection sticker which appears to have protected the dome this time, just a shame it couldn't prevent the dust from lodging inside.

I'll have to see what i can sort in the morning. The only thing that keeps me thinking about what to do rather than simply returning it is the Git2 is the best cam for the price and i've invested a modest amount in spare batteries, a skeleton case and Gopro frame already (they have been waiting to be used since the middle of May lol).

EDIT - I should add that i've done everything i could to avoid importing from China due to risk of customs charges and difficulty in returning faulty items. I've been lucky that i've been able to return them relatively easily due to ordering from the UK only (i'm in the UK).

Last edited:
Back