Giving up on C2 :(

thebotan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The camera is really amazing. It looks beautiful, works well, great video and audio quality, all my friends were impressed.

The biggest problem is that it's not reliable. I hardwired it to my car to be able to have the camera on motion detect 24/7. It just won't record all the time. For some periods it does and for some periods it doesn't.
Sometimes I'm driving to work, it records for 1-2 hours and then something happens. The light still flashes as though it's recording but it doesn't. I come back to my car after 8-10 hours, the light is flashing as if recording. I try to pause the recording and it doesn't work. It's because it's not recording. Can't even power it off. It just kind of gets stuck with the light flashing and there's nothing you can do. The only thing that helps is to press the reset button.

I think the problem is that it's too hot. It's right under the windshield where the sun shines directly, in addition to the hotness inside the car on a summer day. If I'm driving and the camera is on, it's so hot I can't touch it for more than 2 seconds. The max operating temperature says 60 degree. I don't know if it gets that hot in my car but I guess it's possible on a hot day. I think the camera just overheats and goes into this limbo of flashing light and not recording anything.

Yesterday for some reason the buttons got stuck, I couldn't press nothing. I thought something melted inside and took it apart, but everything seems fine inside. My last hope is to remove the battery and try using it without the battery and without the case. I guess a lot of heat is generated by the battery and the fact that the camera in enclosed inside a tiny metal black box, which must exacerbate the heat. I think INNOVV should've added a small heat sink with a fan instead of the battery. Who runs it on the battery anyway...

Another little annoying problem is that you cannot enable motion detect and g-sensor at the same time. And without the g-sensor, the camera films everything upside down. So I have to mount it buttons of the camera facing up, not down. This makes for a very difficult removal and maybe that's why my buttons got stuck.

The biggest problem is of course that it just won't record reliably. Does ANYONE here have this camera hardwired to the car and working 24/7?

I will probably try using it today without the case and without the battery to see if it changes anything. If I still run into the same issue, I guess I'll just throw it away and will look for something more heat-resistant.

@thebotan, thank you for the input. we are always listening from people that would be helpful improvement.

During the development, we tested camera in chamber under 60C degree for 48 hours.

Base on your experience, Let's work together and do it step by step to see what happen.

Can you disable motion detection, and active G-sensor on, put camera on your car for recording by one day?
Se we can see what is next?

I have the Innovv C2 and it works just fine. Maybe you are unfortunate and got a faulty product, or maybe there is a problem with the hardwire setup.

I leave it in the car and although it gets very hot it has never failed to operate. What you consider a problem (the tiny metal black box ) is really quite the opposite. It was designed to dissipate the heat, not hold it in.

I'm not sure how the camera can be difficult to remove depending on which way up it is placed. I don't even look which way I'm placing it back after removal. The other thing is that this camera was designed as an action cam and there are a lot of people who regularly use it on battery power.

I purchased my 1st C2 unit a little over a month ago. It performs beautifully every and I am very happy about it. I purchased a second unit and it arrives a few days ago. I plugged it in to have it charge up until the orange light went out and proceeded to setting it up. Well, it wouldn't come on at all. I did everything I can think of, reset...checked....swapping SD card....check.....exchange cable....checked.....new firmware checked...but nothing. It wouldn't power up at all so all the troubleshooting steps I did are not really helping but I went a head and tried it anyway.

The only time a light would come on is when I plug it in to the wall outlet or power it up with my car, the orange light comes on and it stay solid but nothing happen. I checked the LED flashlight and confirmed that it works so I know I have juice in it. I left it plug in to a charger overnight hoping that might help but nothing. I am not sure what to do next so I email ROCK and currently waiting for his reply. If you have any tricks that can help me wait this unit up, please share.

I think I get people's questions together.

@karalaok,
Let's do together to see if possible we can solve the problem, but do not worry and damage on camera, if damaged it, you only need to send it back and get the replacement.

Can you open the case that you can refer the instruction from below downloable files on the bottom of the page,
http://www.innovv.com/#!the-c1--c2/cqaq

Then plug out the battery for a while, then plug in it again, Power on camera, to see what happen.

Just try.

Thanks for your replies. I should have mentioned, I tried with G-sensor on high settings and I got the same results. I put the camera in my car, start driving and it starts recording because it senses movement. But when I plug it in my computer it's the same thing, I have a few minutes or an hour of recording at the beginning and then I have nothing. Also, the problem I had with G-sensor is that the files don't write over themselves. I mean in loop recording with G-Sensor on, the SD card gets full and then it hangs. But on a hot day it doesn't get full, it stops recording before that even with a flashing light. I think it just gets too hot.
I have the Innovv C2 and it works just fine. Maybe you are unfortunate and got a faulty product, or maybe there is a problem with the hardwire setup.

I leave it in the car and although it gets very hot it has never failed to operate. What you consider a problem (the tiny metal black box ) is really quite the opposite. It was designed to dissipate the heat, not hold it in.

I'm not sure how the camera can be difficult to remove depending on which way up it is placed. I don't even look which way I'm placing it back after removal. The other thing is that this camera was designed as an action cam and there are a lot of people who regularly use it on battery power.

You say you leave it in the car, but is it recording 24/7 all the time that you leave it in the car? How hot is it outside? Here in Montreal it gets like +35 degrees and in the car must be a lot hotter.

@thebotan, thank you for the input. we are always listening from people that would be helpful improvement.

During the development, we tested camera in chamber under 60C degree for 48 hours.

Base on your experience, Let's work together and do it step by step to see what happen.

Can you disable motion detection, and active G-sensor on, put camera on your car for recording by one day?
Se we can see what is next?

I will try again today just in case, but I tried many times and it's always the same problem. I really think it's overheating. Now I have a question for you. I was looking at the C3 camera and it's very nice. The only thing is the angle is not as wide as C2. But from what I see with C3, the lens is separate and connects with a wire to the box, which looks exactly like C2. Is C3 the same with as C2 with add-on lens? Because I was thinking maybe it's possible to have the C2 lens attached separately to the windshield. In that case I could hide the camera motherboard itself somewhere in the car away from direct sunlight.

I purchased my 1st C2 unit a little over a month ago. It performs beautifully every and I am very happy about it. I purchased a second unit and it arrives a few days ago. I plugged it in to have it charge up until the orange light went out and proceeded to setting it up. Well, it wouldn't come on at all. I did everything I can think of, reset...checked....swapping SD card....check.....exchange cable....checked.....new firmware checked...but nothing. It wouldn't power up at all so all the troubleshooting steps I did are not really helping but I went a head and tried it anyway.

The only time a light would come on is when I plug it in to the wall outlet or power it up with my car, the orange light comes on and it stay solid but nothing happen. I checked the LED flashlight and confirmed that it works so I know I have juice in it. I left it plug in to a charger overnight hoping that might help but nothing. I am not sure what to do next so I email ROCK and currently waiting for his reply. If you have any tricks that can help me wait this unit up, please share.

My first C2 camera died randomly. I used it for a few days and then all of a sudden for no reason it quit working. I couldn't turn it on. I could only charge it and only LED worked. But it wouldn't turn on. I got a replacement. I don't know what the problem was, I sent it to RockThinking and he should've probably received it by now.

You say you leave it in the car, but is it recording 24/7 all the time that you leave it in the car? How hot is it outside? Here in Montreal it gets like +35 degrees and in the car must be a lot hotter.

No, I don't have it recording all the time, just when driving or parked for short periods of time, and believe me the inside of the car does get really hot, just like yours.

I think I get people's questions together.

@karalaok,
Let's do together to see if possible we can solve the problem, but do not worry and damage on camera, if damaged it, you only need to send it back and get the replacement.

Can you open the case that you can refer the instruction from below downloable files on the bottom of the page,
http://www.innovv.com/#!the-c1--c2/cqaq

Then plug out the battery for a while, then plug in it again, Power on camera, to see what happen.

Just try.

Alright, the camera is out of the case. Now, I am gonna let it sit overnight and will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Often times the problem could be with the settings. I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, is to download the settings program ( GUI ) from http://2kool4u.com/

Now I have a question for you. I was looking at the C3 camera and it's very nice. The only thing is the angle is not as wide as C2. But from what I see with C3, the lens is separate and connects with a wire to the box, which looks exactly like C2. Is C3 the same with as C2 with add-on lens? Because I was thinking maybe it's possible to have the C2 lens attached separately to the windshield. In that case I could hide the camera motherboard itself somewhere in the car away from direct sunlight.

The C2 and C3 has the same view angle.
With C3, your idea come true, to lens attached separately to windshield and hide the camera body in other place.

About hot on case and the buttons got stuck, I just reviewed with guys, below is the action,
  1. Will pick up 20 cameras randomly from stock and power up camera and keep recording 48 hours, to see what happen.
  2. Will add heat sink inside of case.
Due to camera is expose under sun and under windshield for a long time, and engine start, the camera power on and work under extreme hot condition, as its tiny size, that may get over heated.

Now two action for buttons got stuck cameras,
  1. Try again by needle to rest camera, insert it rest hole and push till camera get power off, and power on camera again to see if it can work well.
  2. If the above does not work, need to open case and take apart battery.
I just post link from flicker to show photos how to assemble and dis-assemble the C1. The C2 is same.

Just made the sample as below by adding aluminum foil to connect the chips and aluminum case for well heat release.
That should do far improve on heat release.

122547160-271c4557e5043351.jpg

So I disassembled the camera yesterday, I took the battery out and left it out for about 15 hours. Tried to reattach everything again this morning and still no go. No power to the camera. I need to send this back for a replacement. ROCK, can you tell me what is the procedure for return and replace?

Thanks
Allan

Last edited:
So I disassembled the camera yesterday, I took the battery out and left it out for about 15 hours. Tried to reattach everything again this morning and still no go. No power to the camera. I need to send this back for a replacement. ROCK, can you tell me what is the procedure for return and replace?

Thanks
Allan

Just sent you the procedure, as mentioned in email, do not worry, we will take responsibility for replacement.

Looks like you bought from a stand-up manufacturer.

We live on forum and people's mouth.
If want to have the easy life, we should take care of the reputation and be responsible.
That is very clear.

Back