GLG300_V1_12_03_20140301_15MbpsPanorama IIS GPS module taking 10-30 min. to lock on

hometechnc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, Panorama II/S, FineVu CR-500HD
Hey All; I also am having problems with the GPS module locking on to signal. I have the module mounted about 1 inch below the headline on the passenger-side of the front windshield. Been using this for a few months now.

It will take anywhere from 10-30 minutes before it will lock on to the signal. And I live in a mid-sized Town (no tall buildings, etc. Updated the firmware a while back to GLG300_V1_12_03_20140301_15Mbps.

Anyone else having this problem, or perhaps, a remedy. Had a FineVu CR500 w/ the GPS mounted in the exact same spot, and it always locked on immediately.

I see you recently left a 1-star review on Amazon. We've sold 100's of Panorama's and this is the first negative review.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerUCC-Pano...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Maybe we can help you figure out what's wrong with your unit. Maybe you have a badly out of focus lens and or faulty GPS port/unit. Did you buy your product from us or somewhere else? I've read several posts where the lens is reported to be out of focus from units bought from the only other two importers besides us. (older stock) We only have very new stock and I triple check test everything myself. The Panorama has a very low RMA/defect rate but anything is possible with Electronics as you know.

The Panorama is "Best All Around" -DashCamTalk for good reasons.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question but you have the GPS the right way up?

Right way up? The adhesive was on the side with lettering (model #,etc.) and that's the side I stuck to the window.

And as mentioned in the reply to Roadcam, I have only noticed this long delay when I leave in the morning (which took a full 30-minutes this morning.)
But a few hours later, I stopped by my office; the car was tuened off for about 10-15 minutes. When I came back out and started the car, the GPS locked up almost immediately. I have no clue.

I see you recently left a 1-star review on Amazon. We've sold 100's of Panorama's and this is the first negative review.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerUCC-Pano...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Maybe we can help you figure out what's wrong with your unit. Maybe you have a badly out of focus lens and or faulty GPS port/unit. Did you buy your product from us or somewhere else? I've read several posts where the lens is reported to be out of focus from units bought from the only other two importers besides us. (older stock) We only have very new stock and I triple check test everything myself. The Panorama has a very low RMA/defect rate but anything is possible with Electronics as you know.

The Panorama is "Best All Around" -DashCamTalk for good reasons.

My unit was ordered on April 26,2014 from shpKorea
Here is a link to one of my videos recorded with the Panorama IIS :
The video is not horrible, but if a car passes me at any speed, the license plate is not legible, where I can see it clearly with my Mobius, which right now, is mounted right next to the Panorama.

This morning, the GPS took a full 30 minutes to lock on to the signal. I even tried parking in a wide open, shopping Ctr. parking lot for 15 minutes.
Funny thing though, if I park and turn off the car for 10-15 minutes, and then turn the car back on, the GPS locks on almost immediately!

Regards, R.Carr

Right way up? The adhesive was on the side with lettering (model #,etc.) and that's the side I stuck to the window.

And as mentioned in the reply to Roadcam, I have only noticed this long delay when I leave in the morning (which took a full 30-minutes this morning.)
But a few hours later, I stopped by my office; the car was tuened off for about 10-15 minutes. When I came back out and started the car, the GPS locked up almost immediately. I have no clue.

I never even considered which side of the GPS should face out. Now that I think about it, the sticky faces inwards. Nevertheless, my GPS locates itself on a new day within 2 minutes, and sometimes at around 1 minute.

I don't actually have the GPS stuck to anything; I just wrap the cord around the rear-view mirror and the dash cam which is stuck to the left of the mirror. This leaves the GPS about an inch below the top of the windshield. And it just works as it should.

But I understand the comment about the license plates of vehicles in cars on either side not being identifiable. I find they become readable when the sun is behind me, and the vehicle is directly in front of me. Your comment makes me want to try out the Mobius.

My unit was ordered on April 26,2014 from shpKorea
Here is a link to one of my videos recorded with the Panorama IIS :
The video is not horrible, but if a car passes me at any speed, the license plate is not legible, where I can see it clearly with my Mobius, which right now, is mounted right next to the Panorama.

This morning, the GPS took a full 30 minutes to lock on to the signal. I even tried parking in a wide open, shopping Ctr. parking lot for 15 minutes.
Funny thing though, if I park and turn off the car for 10-15 minutes, and then turn the car back on, the GPS locks on almost immediately!

Regards, R.Carr

I saw you bought from SHPKOREA (not Amazon)
I heard they had a small batch where the lens was out of focus a bit. (stock from a few months ago) Your problem could very well be fixed if you RMA/replace your unit for a new one. I'd reach out to your reseller.(especially with the strange not normal GPS behavior)

Which firmware are you on? 12Mbps, 15Mbps, or 18Mbps? (try 18)
http://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panoramaii/#Firmware

Once you get a new in-focus unit, can you post a side by side front facing video of Mobius vs Panorama? Upload the RAW videos and share via http://mega.co.nz
Youtube re-compresses things in a fuzzy way sometimes. (not the best looking at times)

The real test of reading license plate numbers is at night. If you jump to 5m30s you'll see the Panorama has an edge on the Mobius here:
Original file Download HERE: https://mega.co.nz/#!DcRRSTaZ!Z8SijCJ37QypYrD8AAY6r0r_OlbIKheUksKadvKEotI
Top - Mobius B-lens. FW: v1.17, 1080p-W, WDR On, 15Mbps
Bottom - Panorama 2. FW: v1.12.03 ( 15Mbps )

Thank you very much for your input. I have used both 15Mbps and 18Mbps and did not see much difference.
I'm not inclined to believe it's a lens focus issue. If you see the video posted below, taken on a sunny day, with the car directly in front, I can read the license plate, and most everything looks good... sitting still. It's when a vehicle (namely a speeding cop), passes me to either side, that I cannot make out the plate # with the Panorama, but can with the Mobius. And this may be due to the very wide lens, and the resulting loss of resolution on the Panorama.

Back to the GPS module, I have read a few complaints regarding similar problems, and the battery has been mentioned.
I did not know there was a battery in the GPS unit? But that may explain why the unit takes so long to lock on to the signal after being turned off all night. And then when I'm driving about in the day, and turn the car off for a short time, the GPS locks on right away?

Thank you again.

Video:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lankyduke II / S 14
Back