GM announces world's first built in Performance Data Recorder on 2015 Corvette

But then Jokiin will be out of a job :-(

Similar technology we can find already on Lukas + OBD II and 3-4 other hing-end OBD II based dash cameras from Korea, but of course Corvette ( Cosworth ) software provides more detailed info analyse for race and track data.

It would be interesting to see how this system performs during normal street and highway conditions and at night. It seem geared towards racing and performance rather than the factors most dash cam buyers consider when purchasing. None of the overlays are really about normal driving. Then again, the camera they are using appears to have a high frame and data rate which would be good in normal driving situations. The question would be night time performance. For what these cars cost I imagine they use pretty good components though.

Similar technology we can find already on Lukas + OBD II and 3-4 other hing-end OBD II based dash cameras from Korea

Of course the tech already exists in the Korean market, we know that; I was simply pointing out the factory integration which is a first in a production vehicle as far as I know.

It would be interesting to see how this system performs during normal street and highway conditions and at night. It seem geared towards racing and performance rather than the factors most dash cam buyers consider when purchasing. None of the overlays are really about normal driving. Then again, the camera they are using appears to have a high frame and data rate which would be good in normal driving situations. The question would be night time performance. For what these cars cost I imagine they use pretty good components though.

I thought about night usage as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Overlays can be totally turned off.
This only only 720p after all (60FPS?), but a good start as hardware is always changing.
This is aimed at the track enthusiast of course, not as dash cam usage per se, but the idea of total integration is what's interesting.
From what I can tell in the video you still have to manually turn the system on. This could be modified via software/firmware though if the market demands it. In a few years these type of systems could go from a Corvette to more mainstream vehicles with much more basic OBD II info like what's currently available in couple of Korean dash cams.

Last edited:
I thought about night usage as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Overlays can be totally turned off.
This is aimed at the track enthusiast of course, not as dash cam usage per se, but the idea of total integration is what's interesting.
After all from what I can tell in the video you still have to manually turn the system on. This could be modified via software/firmware though if the market demands it. In a few years these type of systems could go from a Corvette to more mainstream vehicles with much more basic ODB II info like what's currently available in some Korean dash cams.

Reverse back-up cameras are becoming fairly popular on many brands of cars these days. It's not too much of a leap that we will see dash cams integrated into mainstream automobiles as a factory option. My guess is that in less than ten years we will see dash cameras integrated into all or at least most vehicles in one form or another. (Who knows, they could even become required by law.)

Last edited:
Yeah and that would speed up if it was government mandated like DRL's, ABS, Airbags and so many other things.

I can envision getting pulled over by a cop who says, "License, registration, insurance card and dash cam footage please".

The video do not seem impressive to me, is it just 720p / 30 fps ?
Should at least be 60FPS when one take into account its primarely meant for race / track use.

GM. this is a do over on the video feed.

We would need to see the raw footage. Can't really tell on YouTube. Still, considering the speed the vehicle is being driven at, I thought some of the details of objects on either side of the track were not bad.

I found a photo of the camera on the 2015 Stingray. Not surprisingly, it is mounted in the headliner. I like the way they recessed the lens in such a way so that the housing acts like a deep lens shade. Lots of dashcams on the market could learn something from this trick.

PDRcamSR.jpg

kamkar1 is right! The Corvette's camera is 720P.

"The PDR system includes three major components, all integrated into the Corvette Stingray's interior. First is a 720p, high-definition camera, mounted within the windshield header trim, which records the driver's point-of-view through the windshield and audio is recorded via a microphone in the cabin.

Second is a self-contained telemetry recorder. The system uses a dedicated GPS receiver that operates at 5 hertz, or cycles per second. That is five times faster than the in-dash navigation system and allows more precise positioning and corner traces. The recorder is also hard-wired into the Stingray's Controller Area Network, or CAN, to access vehicle information, ranging from engine speed and transmission-gear selection to braking force and steering-wheel angle.

Lastly, the system features a dedicated SD-card slot in the glove box for recording and transferring video and vehicle data. An 8-gigabyte card can record approximately 200 minutes, while a 32-GB card stores up to about 800 minutes of driving time. The video can be viewed on the Corvette Stingray's eight-inch touchscreen when the car is parked, or downloaded to a computer."

The SD card slot also features dual USB ports and what appears to be a 3.5mm plug socket.

PDRcam.jpg

Last edited:
I stated earlier that is was only 720p. Good start though and maybe it's 60 FPS?

There are a lot of great things about this system. The recessed lens makes it discreet. The SD card is kept secure in the glove box. No need for a bulky screen since it uses the 8" touchscreen built into the car.

Biggest negative is the 720p recording but for the first mass produced car with a built in dash cam, I think they have done a decent job.

Yeah that's my thinking, it's a great start to an integrated system, some negatives, yes, but otherwise a solid step forward.

For nearly half year I have this idea to built in Mobius with lens extension into rearview mirror wind-shield bracket surrounding. Just need some free time.

Back