Goal: Access A139 with Station Mode

mercuryin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I have update my Viofo 3 channel dashcam to the latest firmware and I can see now Station Mode options within settings.

I would like to be able to connect my camera while is in Parking Mode outside my home to my Wifi network and that way I can do a wireless back up of my files. 5g speeds in this camera is really fast and my wireless network is really powerfull as well.

Can someone explain to me how it works the Station Mode ? I have already configured my home SSID and password inside the Viofo settings, so now how Can I activate the wireless station mode ? Pressing mic button but how and when exactly ? And how can be turned on by default and stay always on ?

Many Thanks

We've already been discussing this, and this isn't going to be an easy process. Most hotspots are probably going to offer an internal ip without any inbound traffic permitted.

Here's a couple ideas to try - Not sure which will work.

1. Root a Cell Phone. Hardwire the cell phone for constant Power. Install Servers Ultimate. And Run a VPN that you connect to from afar.

2. Check this out. Open Source LTE router that supports VPN Server / Client. This may do the trick.

For instance: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mifi/

I guess someone with cash to burn can start playing with options. I do not have a spare cell phone that I can root and test. Apparently on Modern Samsungs with Knox, if you root it, it trips Knox and some apps become inaccessible. So I'm not going to mess with rooting my S9+ which is my only phone.

Last edited:
For anyone with a spare Android Cell Phone that's rooted. I'd like people to try these two avenues. Maybe someone with some cash will be willing to check out the second one (Open Source LTE Routers with VPN Servers). Goal: Access A139 with Station Mode from anywhere in the world.

I don't have a spare android phone to root. My old one that was rooted will no longer work as its too old. So this falls upon someone else to test.

Idea #1: Install Android App Servers Ultimate + Rooted Cell Phone + Run a Hotspot. Connect to the VPN from an outside internet connection through a client like OpenVPN and see if you can then remote into your Camera from an outside network.

Idea #2: Check this out. Open Source LTE router that supports VPN Server.

For instance: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mifi/

If anyone tests these with success via HTTP on Port 8192, please report back with results.

Last edited:
It should naturally connect to your home network if you set the Station mode WiFi SSID and password. You should set up a static IP address on your router so your dashcam always gets the same address. Then just access it from your browser with that IP.

VIOFO might make you a custom firmware with wifi turning auto on. They did for the A129.

It should naturally connect to your home network if you set the Station mode WiFi SSID and password. You should set up a static IP address on your router so your dashcam always gets the same address. Then just access it from your browser with that IP.

VIOFO might make you a custom firmware with wifi turning auto on. They did for the A129.

The home network isn't the issue. I have determined that a home network is capable of running station mode no problems (on an A129). I presume, but cannot say as I don't own an A139 that the same would apply.

I believe the big question is now allowing the A139 (or A129) or Any Viofo model to live stream from afar. Most wifi hotspots are going to be filtered. Blackvue offers a dedicated Blackvue Branded LTE Modem which is clearly designed to function with the cloud. No such option is available for Viofo.

So the big question becomes, challenging people to find a workable solution where the A139 can obtain internet, permit an inbound connection, and then allow live view and videos to be seen from outside the network.

I don't think he ever mentioned a hotspot or LTE on this thread.

I don't think he ever mentioned a hotspot or LTE on this thread.

He wanted to know how station mode works, and I merely explained how it "can work" and how it does work. I.E. Live View from afar requires a hotspot thatll allow outside access.

Yep, I communicated with them about that two weeks ago and they "maybe can make" a beta firmware. At least that's what I was told.

But the same was said about StationMode and here we go :LOL:.
I think this is only on a MobileApp level for now (i have to admit that i missed the option in the App, but i wasn't able to enable it when i've tried it a moment ago), because Viofo told me that "it's already implemented, they just didn't published it yet" and they specificaly mentioned another beta firmware. Haven't noticed anything pass the v20210324 though so OP probably talks only about the App update (if there is any newer firmware, then you can ignore me).

Last edited:
VPN won't work. Tested this idea. Setup VPN on my Home PC and a VPN on my cell phone. Connected VPN to the VPN Server running on my home pc.
A network administrator I know said this won't work, but I gave it a try, and he was right.

The Internet on the phone and the Hotspot operate on two different tunnels. So even though the phone is behind a VPN, the hotspot still uses the phone's original connection.

Bah Humbug.

Seems the only solution is MAYBE a router that allows custom port forwarding, presuming the SIM Card would allow that to work. Otherwise, this explains why Blackvue uses the cloud. So the camera talks to the cloud and the app allows access (Live View) to the camera via the cloud I Presume.

I don't understand why you're using a hotspot. Are you trying to make it so you can access your dashcam from anywhere, or just parked outside like your first post details?

I think that in the car you just need to put a mobile modem-router with a low traffic tariff, to which, in addition to dashcam, you can also connect the head unit via Wi-Fi.
For such a connection, the client / station mode in dashcam is intended

I don't understand why you're using a hotspot. Are you trying to make it so you can access your dashcam from anywhere, or just parked outside like your first post details?

Goal was to use station mode and attempt to connect to camera from anywhere in the world. My phone carrier at least is natted. So when using the phone as a hotspot, it doesnt allow inbound traffic.

I attempted to run a VPN on my home pc and tunnel from phone to my vpn. Unfortunately, the hotspot internet uses another tunnel, so it wont allow for remote live view from outside the network still. The camera gets a different ip than the phone. Bummer.

Rooting the phone may be an option. I see that a rooted phone can permit a hotspot to share the vpn. Also, maybe the LTE Modems that are configurable are work arounds.

So ya.... My goal here was to try and find ways to make a Viofo viewable from anywhere in the world. Similar to a Blackvue but of course without the cloud support and for much less money!

Others are welcome to try using a rooted phone. My phone as of now is not rooted.

Goal was to use station mode and attempt to connect to camera from anywhere in the world.
I don't think it's impossible, I do think it's not at all straightforward though and is going to be beyond what the average punter is capable of setting up

I don't think it's impossible, I do think it's not at all straightforward though and is going to be beyond what the average punter is capable of setting up

Agreed. I spent several frustrating days trying to figure out how to setup a VPN. Eventually got it working. However, further googling comes to show that one needs root on their phone it seems to share the hotspot in a manner that will enable this to work.

Don't have a spare cell, so unless the rooting won't affect my app functions, I won't do. I was more interested in this as proof of concept. Seems it's likely possible but not very straight forward or easy to accomplish.

it's doable, perhaps not something you can do yourself though

Having the cloud and live view has its benefits of course. Cloud for emergency scenarios or say for some unexpected encounter with police where you'd like video saved elsewhere. Or say a nasty accident and camera might get damaged that could renter sd car inoperable. And live view has merits to check on car from afar.

The car being damaged where camera + sd card suffer would probably be the greatest benefit of cloud, although not sure in that scenario video would get sent quick enough to cloud anyway.

Live view good say you're car sitting at airport or somewhere and you want to take a peak in. Which is why I was screwing with this feature. Doubt I'd ever use but it was cool to attempt proof of concept. If I ever get a rooted phone, I'll continue this endeavor.

Does Viofo ever respond in these threads with all these questions and concerns customers have? It would seem the manufacturer themselves could chime in to communicate to its customers if something is currently possible, may be possible in the future or at least listen to feedback as to what people would like to see.

Just my thoughts.

Does Viofo ever respond in these threads with all these questions and concerns customers have? It would seem the manufacturer themselves could chime in to communicate to its customers if something is currently possible, may be possible in the future or at least listen to feedback as to what people would like to see.

Just my thoughts.

Occasionally. @jokiin from Street Guardian is the most active manufacturers. Others are less so.

Just my thoughts.
They listen, tend to only post when an idea is likely to be implemented, or if something is accepted as a fault to be fixed, sometimes to clarify what people want implemented.

Station mode was implemented because people asked for it, and it is reasonably simple to provide.
Cloud functionality is not so simple.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H A139 68
S A139 3
Back