Going to get a new windshield

winter4w

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1WH
Ok so I am going to get a new windshield for my car since it is starting to crack. I have a 3M tape mount for my G1WH. I was wondering what do you guys recommend I do to get that mount off the old one and put on the new one.

Thanks

Yeah use some string as a wire saw, but be carefull it will allso cut into the plastic of the mount.
The remaining glue on the mount you should be able to remove with your fingers.

Use dental floss to remove the tape.
Yeah use some string as a wire saw, but be carefull it will allso cut into the plastic of the mount.
The remaining glue on the mount you should be able to remove with your fingers.
Ok so I guess just peel it off the windshield with some wire. However to remount it would I just buy some 3M Mounting tape? I found this on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B009NP1JQC) so would that work?

Thanks

Usually Amazon has various sizes and colors of 3m VHB tape. That's what you want.

Ok so I am going to get a new windshield for my car since it is starting to crack. I have a 3M tape mount for my G1WH. I was wondering what do you guys recommend I do to get that mount off the old one and put on the new one.

Thanks
Piano wire or a guitar string-dental floss will not hack the mission! Saw it back and forth.

Thats what my damm grey good forgot, you want to go with VHB tape not the regular stuff.
you can allso get the VHB as pads

As it was said, saw off the old one with a piece of string. Once you get an air pocket it will peel off. (unless it's generic non 3M stuff)

We have pads listed 3MVHBPAD (the good black authentic 3M stuff)

Last edited:
Those might be ok assuming they are not counterfeit 3M. The 1 star reviews have a lot of people saying they don't work well which might be a red flag.

Those might be ok assuming they are not counterfeit 3M. The 1 star reviews have a lot of people saying they don't work well which might be a red flag.
It has 4 stars and the lower stars are people saying its too tight. However I googled GoPro 3M VHB stickers and came across this which has 5 stars (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00F37Z776) Reading the reviews one guy did use it for his dashcam and the only issue he said is that they are white instead of black. Well my interior is brown so the white mounts will hide it better. Just curious if any of you have used some GoPro 3M tape replacements and how did it work out?

I think they are referring to the color of the tape. If you use white then it will be very noticeable from outside. If the plastic mount is black, then you want black 3M pads.

I think they are referring to the color of the tape. If you use white then it will be very noticeable from outside. If the plastic mount is black, then you want black 3M pads.
Well my current mount is white but I guess I can try to put a black one on it. I did try looking for a black one but unable to find it. If anyone has a link to one on amazon that will be great :)

To hide my dashcam and protect my car I put a sun shade up on my windshield so no one can really see it. If someone did peek in one of the side windows they will really need to look hard behind my front mirror to see it, and all they will see is the cable that connects to it.

The problem is not from viewing from the inside. It is from the outside. Have a look at what you have now when you look at the mount from in front of the car. Generally black tape will not show up as much as white or grey.

The problem is not from viewing from the inside. It is from the outside. Have a look at what you have now when you look at the mount from in front of the car. Generally black tape will not show up as much as white or grey.
Ok well I found some Black 3M tape here on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01BQAZHI2) but it is a bit pricy. Do you think tho the black would still show out on the outside since my car looks something like this on the inside?

EDIT: Nevermind it wasn't black.

50828492.jpg

Can you post a picture of your windshield from the outside, specifically showing your current camera mount area.

If any of you do know where can I get some black 3M pads? I looked on amazon but only can find GoPro mounts :(

Look for a roll of VHB in black on amazon. Yeah, some rolls are a half mile long, but I see 15 feet of black in 1/2 inch width for $20. (Lifetime supply for dash cam use)

I found dark gray cheaper, but don't worry so much about hiding the mount.

(and I use the tape for other stuff)

Look for a roll of VHB in black on amazon. Yeah, some rolls are a half mile long, but I see 15 feet of black in 1/2 inch width for $20. (Lifetime supply for dash cam use)

I found dark gray cheaper, but don't worry so much about hiding the mount.

(and I use the tape for other stuff)
Do you have a link to it lol? I looked every where on amazon and cant find black tape. Does it have Amazon Prime since those are the searches I am looking up.

Back