Going to try Cellink Neo, SG9663DC and the hardwire kit

jezgadi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Newcomer to DashcamTalk so please, be gentle ;)

I've not received any of the items yet but in the next few weeks when I do get my new car, I'll be attempting the whole suite. I'll most likely just source a professional to wire the whole thing for me but the thing that confuses the crap outta me is the Fuse 1 and Fuse 2 type options that I need to choose before being able to buy a hardwire kit, can someone please tell me which 1 I should be aiming for? NOTE: I have not received my car yet so I can't check which fuse types I should be choosing.

Some info that may help:

Car: Hyundai i30 SR 2018
Attempting: Hardwire directly to car and not cig lighter
Professional Installer: Most likely
Kit: SG9663DC, SG9663DC hardwire kit and Cellink Neo

Thank you all.

Fuse 1 = Battery (constant power) , Fuse 2 = ACC (ignition/switched fuse).

Fuse Type probably isn't important if you're going to figure out how to add DIY a Cellink Neo 3rd party battery in between somehow. I'd imagine some direct hardwiring there will be involved. We don't have a Celllink NEO to test with but looking forward to learning how others experiment with this DIY project. I have one other customer asking about Celllink Neo as well and they will be trying it in the near future as well. I'll share any results we learn from them.

If you were hooking up the SGDCHW without the Cellink Neo battery, you would be picking two of the fuses in your fuse panel.
Fuse #1 Switched Accessory power (such as the Radio)
Fuse #2 Un-Switched constant battery power (such as power seats, or whatever else remains hot even with the engine off)

Most vehicles use the same fuse type for both, but there are a few exceptions where you have two different types in the same vehicle.

Profesional installs might not even use your fuse panel at all, and will splice right into wires directly not using these at all.

1531034080702.png
1530930430404-png.39761

Fuse Type probably isn't important if you're going to figure out how to add DIY a Cellink Neo 3rd party battery in between somehow. I'd imagine some direct hardwiring there will be involved. We don't have a Celllink NEO to test with but looking forward to learning how others experiment with this DIY project. I have one other customer asking about Celllink Neo as well and they will be trying it in the near future as well. I'll share any results we learn from them.

If you were hooking up the SGDCHW without the Cellink Neo battery, you would be picking two of the fuses in your fuse panel.
Fuse #1 Switched Accessory power (such as the Radio)
Fuse #2 Un-Switched constant battery power (such as power seats, or whatever else remains hot even with the engine off)

Most vehicles use the same fuse type for both, but there are a few exceptions where you have two different types in the same vehicle.

Profesional installs might not even use your fuse panel at all, and will splice right into wires directly not using these at all.

View attachment 39799
1530930430404-png.39761
thanks!

I'll look into this with the installer.

Similar situation: new member (first post) with the SG9663DC and the Cellink Neo. Vehicle is a 2015 Audi Q5 and I ordered the Neo with the non-splice wire and the ATC Fuse Tap.

I'm expecting this to be fairly simple as the Neo will connect to an ACC fuse via the fuse tap with a 10 amp fuse (draw is 9 amps) and GND, which will complete the Neo charge circuit (only charges when vehicle is running). I will then connect the three wires of SGDCHW (PWR, ACC and GND) to the same designation wires in the Neo non-splice kit. As long as the SGDCHW correctly recognizes the ACC state (OFF vs RUN) from the Neo we are good-to-go.

Neo should be delivered in about 2 days and I will report back as I will test everything on my workbench before installing to ensure that the SG9663DC enters Park Mode.

Cheers......Brian

Good to hear Brian, I'll be bringing my car into the workshop to let them do the heavy lifting at the end of July, I'll see how that goes as well ;)

The unspliced cable from the NEO has three coloured wires as follows: Black=GROUND/(GND), Yellow=BATTERY/(B+) this is the always on power feed , and Red=Accessory/(ACC) this is the switched power feed, i.e. only on when the car is running. The SGDCHW Parking mode wiring kit from Street Guardian is required to hard wire the SG9663DC and it has the same 3 coloured wires, so it is simply matching the 3 coloured wires. In connecting the 3 wires you have 2 options one is to splice and solder (add heat shrink tubing before joining the wires) and the other is crimp connectors. Some crimp connectors also combine heat shrink material to ensure that the connection is watertight, if you use the regular ones such as in the attached picture you will need to add the tubing on one side before joining the wires together. A hair dryer is usually sufficient to shrink the tubing. I view the use of heat shrink tubing a must for a car environment.

Cheers.

SGDCHW US Link: https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dc-hardwire-kit-add-parking-mode

Attachments

• Connectors.jpg
    Connectors.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 14
The unspliced cable from the NEO has three coloured wires as follows: Black=GROUND/(GND), Yellow=BATTERY/(B+) this is the always on power feed , and Red=Accessory/(ACC) this is the switched power feed, i.e. only on when the car is running. The SGDCHW Parking mode wiring kit from Street Guardian is required to hard wire the SG9663DC and it has the same 3 coloured wires, so it is simply matching the 3 coloured wires. In connecting the 3 wires you have 2 options one is to splice and solder (add heat shrink tubing before joining the wires) and the other is crimp connectors. Some crimp connectors also combine heat shrink material to ensure that the connection is watertight, if you use the regular ones such as in the attached picture you will need to add the tubing on one side before joining the wires together. A hair dryer is usually sufficient to shrink the tubing. I view the use of heat shrink tubing a must for a car environment.

Cheers.

SGDCHW US Link: https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dc-hardwire-kit-add-parking-mode
Thanks for that info. So all we need in order to do this are crimp connectors and a dryer, right?

LoneWoof, essentially yes. The only other element for consideration is the method that you use to connect the Neo into your vehicles fuse box for charging while the vehicle is in operation. I have put much effort into the approach that I'm taking which is to create a new circuit in my Audi rather than using a fuse tap. I created a thread under the Batteries and Capacitors titled "Has anyone blown a fuse..." that outlines my methodology and the second sentence serves as a warning regarding my mindset.

Lastly, I'm using a posi-tap (see image) for the connection to a primary switched power wire that is is 10 gauge or larger (i.e. smaller number) to ensure sufficient amperage capacity. While the posi-tap is pricey I have used them previously with great success.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Posi-tap Connector.jpg
    Posi-tap Connector.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 40
Update on my end: I had it professionally hardwired. Costs almost as much as the NEO itself, but since I didn't have the tools or the knowledge, did it on that end instead. Seems to be working fine so far. Initially, the guys were worried that the unspliced wiring kit sent from Blackboxmycar was too thin, but I guess they made it work somehow.

Good to hear lonewoof, don't suppose you could manage to take a pic of the part where they spliced the NEO and DC hardwire kit?

Good to hear lonewoof, don't suppose you could manage to take a pic of the part where they spliced the NEO and DC hardwire kit?

Sorry I couldn't get a better photo. They stuck the battery and most of the kit under the dash by the fuse box of my car. They basically spliced the hardwire from the kit and the unspliced output from the NEO.
IMAG1004.jpg

Back