Golden Hour in San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm

Yeah you wont see wind turbines like that here in wind turbine central, for the most you will see 3-4-5 of them in a line.

Unless you head out to sea, then you will see huge ass wind "farms"

We just dont have the same elbow space over here compared to the US, so you cant just slam up a wind turbine where you please.
Even the little "hobby" Kilowatt wind turbines have rules for installation, distance to neighbors and so on. and thats for pretty small ones with a 5 M or so wing span.

There is usually a lot of CHP in that stretch of Interstate 10 through the San Gorgonio Pass & Coachella Valley.

I love the night view when traveling westbound & downhill through the Chiriaco Summit. You can see Mt San Jacinto & the Coachella Valley skyline.

There is usually a lot of CHP in that stretch of Interstate 10 through the San Gorgonio Pass & Coachella Valley.

I love the night view when traveling westbound & downhill through the Chiriaco Summit. You can see Mt San Jacinto & the Coachella Valley skyline.
Certainly is a beautiful area :)

Yeah you wont see wind turbines like that here in wind turbine central, for the most you will see 3-4-5 of them in a line.

Unless you head out to sea, then you will see huge ass wind "farms"

We just dont have the same elbow space over here compared to the US, so you cant just slam up a wind turbine where you please.
Even the little "hobby" Kilowatt wind turbines have rules for installation, distance to neighbors and so on. and thats for pretty small ones with a 5 M or so wing span.

Speaking of wind turbines and farms, have you ever been to Samsø?

Descending from the Chiriaco Summit into Coachella Valley. I have done this drive once during the day. Now, I definitely want to try it again during the golden hour. Thank you very much for the idea :D

I have not ever been to the island itself, we been close on fishing boats off the North end, and the ferries i worked on in the 90ties passed south of the island 4 times on every workday.
we used the light house on the south end as a mid way point between Julsminde in the west and Kalundborg in the East, so when we was south of the light house you either went up to the wheelhouse to do lookout or down to the mess that was the starting point for your fire-watch duties.
Meanwhile the other 2 sailors was sleeping and getting paid for it too :cool:

They got to be close to 100% sustainable energy over there now :cool: the new ferries they got even run on biogas they make them self :)

If they only had fiberoptic internet over there i would move over there in a heartbeat, ATM they even have DEMO houses people can try for a few months to see if life on a island is something they might like.
If i moved there i would have to dust off all my fishing rods thats for damn sure :) and it will probably end my dashcam addiction as there is little need for a car over there.
After all the little island is just 26 Km on the long end ( around 15 miles i think ) and on the most narrow spot you can almost spit from one side to the other if you have the wind at your back.

My birth town of Aarhus is a few KM to the Northwest of samsø, no problem seeing it from the harbour or the beach south of Aarhus when i was fishing.

Last edited:
Aarhus is fine, and peaks in the summer.

A little drone footage from the sea side.

I have not ever been to the island itself, we been close on fishing boats off the North end, and the ferries i worked on in the 90ties passed south of the island 4 times on every workday.
we used the light house on the south end as a mid way point between Julsminde in the west and Kalundborg in the East, so when we was south of the light house you either went up to the wheelhouse to do lookout or down to the mess that was the starting point for your fire-watch duties.
Meanwhile the other 2 sailors was sleeping and getting paid for it too :cool:

They got to be close to 100% sustainable energy over there now :cool: the new ferries they got even run on biogas they make them self :)

If they only had fiberoptic internet over there i would move over there in a heartbeat, ATM they even have DEMO houses people can try for a few months to see if life on a island is something they might like.
If i moved there i would have to dust off all my fishing rods thats for damn sure :) and it will probably end my dashcam addiction as there is little need for a car over there.
After all the little island is just 26 Km on the long end ( around 15 miles i think ) and on the most narrow spot you can almost spit from one side to the other if you have the wind at your back.

My birth town of Aarhus is a few KM to the Northwest of samsø, no problem seeing it from the harbour or the beach south of Aarhus when i was fishing.

I first heard about Samsø two in my college two semesters ago. Based on what I read, the people there are actually able to export their wind-generated electricity to the mainland. And, to heat their water, they burn straws. Very interesting success story.

O yeah they are tied in to out high voltage backbone, via a undersea cable.
We have a pretty good backbone for both high voltage, and internet, also why apple and facebook are both building data centers here, powered by green energy and server heat will be reused to heat homes in the nearby towns.

It get a little more problematic selling our green power further out in EU, not least since its not cheap power after all.
But as countries decommission old nuke plants, they have to get their power from some place or starve.

I think now they are also messing with algy out there and biogas made from waste from the animals and humans over there, and off course solar panels for electricity and water heating in the summer.
Actually some of the waste treatment plants servicing Aarhus output more energy than is fed into them, and they now output other things we Danes otherwise would have to import, so again win - win.
But with our location on the globe solar is less ideal, but with gooberment sponsorship a lot of houses have gotten solar panels in the last 4-5 years.
Something like you pay 2/3 of the price for the solar panels, and gooberment pay the last 1/3, and then there is also discounts for the craftmen installing the damn things, something like you get them tax free, and tax is a big thing over here in our system.

Its one big ass experiment you could say, and off course there is still a lot of gooberment involvement, otherwise i dont think it would work as good as it have done for us Danes.
Gooberment still underwrite a minimum Kw/h prize so it can not go all wrong, but i think for the most the wind farmers get more than that minimum.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful video. It's amazing that it's basically tabletop flat in between two mountain ranges! But one question: the haze you always see in the distance, is that smog?

It's a beautiful video. It's amazing that it's basically tabletop flat in between two mountain ranges! But one question: the haze you always see in the distance, is that smog?

I don't think it was smog, but just interesting lighting effect (slightly-enhanced by my video editor) that appears after the sun has fallen below the horizon.

Back