Goluk T1 Review

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Thanks for Goluk for sending the Goluk T1 for review.

Link to product spec/info/images: http://en.goluk.com/pages/t1-overview.html
Link to purchase from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01EY1JIUI
Upon receiving the unit, the packaging was okay, packed in a plastic box. The device itself felt pretty good, a nice sturdy plastic when held in hand, similar to the ddpai mini 2 I reviewed earlier. The color of the device is grey/silver with black mount area; though I wish the device was more stealthy by producing a full black unit.

Goluk App (download via App Store for iOS user or Google Play for Android)

———You do not need to create an account to use the app———

The app is fairly easy to use on iOS (haven’t tested Android).At the bottom of the app, there’s 4 tabs and the circle button in the middle. The circle middle button is where you connect the dash cam to the app, allowing you to preview what the camera is recording, as well as changing settings within the app.

When the device first powered on, there’s voice prompt telling you to go download the app to get started. It should be straight forward on how to setup the device and adjust the settings to your liking.

Impression of the video quality so far to me seems decent for the price tag of $129.99. It has good video quality for day and night from what I can tell, quite comparable to other dash cams in this price range.

edit (on 10/28):
I attempted to use parking mode or known as Parking Security; and to me, it doesn't seem too useful as the Goluk just detects motion and records the first 8 seconds and last 8 second, total 16 second clip per motion detected when the dash cam is on Parking Security Mode. At first, I thought it would have been something similar to DDPai or some other dash cam where it will use time-lapse mode during parking mode, but I guess that's not the case.

To some, it might be handy if there's not too much movement around; as in this mode, it records a 16 second clip every detects an object moving; but if you're in a busy parking lot, the dash cam will just record 16 second clips non-stop until it detects there is no objects moving around. It does have g-sensor enabled though, so in case of an impact, it should lock the file (have yet to test it...) for the 8 seconds before impact and 8 seconds after it.

---------------End 2016/10/28 edit---------------

edit (on 11/07):

I am wrapping up this review. Overall, for $129.99, the dash camera is pretty good for the video quality for day and night. It is to be expected that most dash cam around this price range perform good during the day and acceptable/good at night, being able to capture what's going on in front of you. License plate at night is not really readable when in motion, but that is the same for most dash cams.

The app is pretty simple and straightforward to use. Settings, there aren't too much to mess around with and it only records in 1080p. Parking security is just recording motion detection; first 8 seconds and 8 seconds after it, total 16 seconds when the Goluk T1 detects motion. It will also detect vibration (if a car bumps into you or some sort of "shock"), it will record in the same manner I believe, which is 8 seconds before the vibration and 8 seconds after.

The remote, I would say not too useful unless you're really into sharing 12 or 30 second clips, as that will save a 480p (default) or 1080p version of the 12 or 30 second clips for sharing. The camera will record the 6 (or 15) seconds before pressing the button on the remote and 6 (or 15) seconds after. It will save the video clip to the folder "Wonderful"; a short 12 or 30 second clip for you to share with the social media integrated into the app; seems to be a trend in China for sharing video from dash cam via the app they require to change settings in.

I only tested the dash cam using up to 64gb microSD card; not sure if 128gb and higher will work. The dash cam records in 3 minute segments (don't think there's any settings to shorten or lengthen it, but 3 minute is ideal).

Design wise, it's not as stealthy as say, the wedge shape dash cams or something that is completely black/dark out. It would have been better if Goluk made an option for having the dash cam to be completely black, so it is a little less noticeable from the outside for the US market.

But overall, it's a decent dash cam that have pretty good video quality compared to other dash cams I compared it with; it has some gimmicky features like the 16 second clips captured via remote and then you can share it afterwards in the apps or save it and upload it elsewhere. It's been a great experience trying this dash cam out and seeing how it compared with other dash cams I had; was fairly pleased with it's build quality and video quality.

---------------End 2016/11/07 edit---------------

Here are some images of the unit and box, and a picture or two of size comparison to the Mini0806.
f37vm9a.jpg

0vTm1PU.jpg

8t7LbZk.jpg

YcqVac8.jpg

From a distance outside of the car...
DpoFQ1J.jpg

Close up
ktayHXm.jpg

Inside of the car
3e0XC0S.jpg

Screenshots of video footage will be provided below for comparison with other dash cam.

Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 daytime

As expected, most dash cams are good during the day.

Goluk T1
bfz1GiE.png

Mini0806
X2AMDyq.png

Goluk T1 vs. Viofo A119 vs. Mini 0806 nighttime

Nighttime, I would think the Mini 0806 is better for far distance, where the Viofo A119 comes in second. Goluk T1 close up is fine, but farther sign reading isn't as great as others when in motion.

Goluk T1
9265hL8.png

Viofo A119
9k2s8El.png

Mini 0806
NlR3bdo.png

---------------End 2016/10/26 update---------------

Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 nighttime in the city/stopped

Nighttime in the city, both camera seems to do a decent job as there are lights around. At a stop light, both camera seems to be able to pick up the license plate on the cars in front of it.

Goluk T1
W8mGHpa.png

Mini 0806
oV3qX4m.png

---------------End 2016/10/27 update---------------

Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2

Daytime in cloudy/rainy condition; both dash cam do a fine job picking up details of the license plate for the car on the side; though the Goluk is a little more overexposed (brighter) in my opinion compared to the DDPai.

Goluk T1
8PTN1am.png

DDPai Mini 2
jXU3b8e.png

Daytime again; same thing I am seeing that Goluk tends to be more brighter than it needs to be when compared to the DDPai.

Goluk T1
C0Va3Ix.jpg

DDPai Mini 2
3orU3zM.png

---------------End 2016/10/28 update---------------

Nighttime in the city, both dash cam is a bit blurry and can't really read the plate in front, but picks up an okay amount of details around the scene; good enough to capture details in case of anything that might happen at night.

Goluk T1
T9FlXf5.png

DDPai Mini 2
P3j6lO3.png

---------------End 2016/11/06 update---------------

Last edited:
***Reserved for videos***

Daytime; Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 (left side mini; right side Goluk)

Nighttime; Goluk T1 vs. Viofo A119 (left side Viofo; right side Goluk)

Nighttime; Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 (left side mini; right side Goluk)

---------------End 2016/10/26 update---------------

Nighttime in the city; Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 (lower left mini; upper right Goluk)

Daytime in cloudy condition; Goluk T1 vs. Mini 0806 (lower left mini; upper right Goluk)
---------------End 2016/10/27 update---------------

Daytime in rainy/cloudy condition; Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2 (left side ddpai; right side Goluk)

Daytime truck last minute merge (@0:20)...; Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2 (left side ddpai; right side Goluk)
---------------End 2016/10/28 update---------------

Daytime driving in direct sunlight; Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2 (left side ddpai; right side Goluk)
---------------End 2016/11/02 update---------------

Nighttime town driving; Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2 (left side ddpai; right side Goluk)

Nighttime highway driving; Goluk T1 vs. DDPai Mini 2 (left side ddpai; right side Goluk)
---------------End 2016/11/06 update---------------

Last edited:
Updated video post and screenshot for nighttime in the city and cloudy daytime video on 10/27. Enjoy the comparison between the Goluk T1 and Mini 0806. If you guys have any questions or want the RAW footage, I will upload them on dropbox or some other file sharing website.

I would love to have a Goluk 19 - 4 gen / 9 X 19 mm :D

I'm interested to know whether you prefer the Goluk T1 over the DDPai Mini 2.

I actually haven't tested it against the ddpai mini 2; as that is work in progress still. If the Goluk T1 have a decent parking mode and doesn't shut down/reboot every 45 minutes or so... I might prefer the Goluk over the ddpai ;)

Not really sure if there is an issue with the ddpai mini 2 or not, as during long driving session, the ddpai tends to reboot after 45 minute and when in parking mode, it might shut down after a while if it gets too hot.

Updated original post about parking mode and screenshot/video comparison against the DDPai Mini 2 during daytime and cloudy/rainy condition. Not sure when will I be driving at night to footage to compare those 2 dash cam at night though.

Posted video comparison for driving in direct sunlight; comparing the Goluk T1 against the DDPai Mini 2.

Updated original post and video post for night driving comparing the Goluk T1 against the DDPai Mini 2.

2016/11/07 Updated original post with final thoughts/conclusion of this dash camera

In Post #1 above, are you saying that the T1 has pre-buffered motion detection (& g-sensing), saving video from 8 seconds before the incident that triggered the recording, until 8 seconds after motion is no longer detected?

If so, it makes the T1 preferable to DashCams offering time-lapse so-called 'parking mode'.

In Post #1 above, are you saying that the T1 has pre-buffered motion detection (& g-sensing), saving video from 8 seconds before the incident that triggered the recording, until 8 seconds after motion is no longer detected?

If so, it makes the T1 preferable to DashCams offering time-lapse so-called 'parking mode'.

I would think it is considered pre-buffer motion detection and g-sensing, where the Goluk detects motion (object moving, etc.), it will start saving a 16 second clip 8 seconds before it detected the motion and after to create a short clip.

Here's the description from the Parking Security Mode within the app:
Vehicle status detection: When the vehicle is moving, Goluk will operate based on the loop recording mode setting; when the vehicle is parked, Goluk will take 1 photo every second and enable vibration (8 seconds of video both before and after the trigger) as well as motion (8 seconds of video both before and after the trigger) sensors.

Here's a video clip of the Parking Security Mode from the Goluk T1

Here's the description from the Parking Security Mode within the app:
Vehicle status detection: When the vehicle is moving, Goluk will operate based on the loop recording mode setting; when the vehicle is parked, Goluk will take 1 photo every second and enable vibration (8 seconds of video both before and after the trigger) as well as motion (8 seconds of video both before and after the trigger) sensors.

My SGZC12RC motion records from 5 seconds before the trigger until after all motion has ceased, so clips are variable in length. If motion is continuous, it records a series of 2 minute clips (menu adjustable) until motion stops.

The 16 second duration of T1 parking mode clips is unconventional, but fine by me. Pre-buffered motion sensing is usually only available from premium brand manufacturers like BlackVue, Lukas, Street Guardian, Thinkware, etc. It's real parking mode elevates the T1 above similarly priced cameras, except for the Thinkware F50. Shame the T1 isn't available in discreet matt black.

My SGZC12RC motion records from 5 seconds before the trigger until after all motion has ceased, so clips are variable in length. If motion is continuous, it records a series of 2 minute clips (menu adjustable) until motion stops.

The 16 second duration of T1 parking mode clips is unconventional, but fine by me. Pre-buffered motion sensing is usually only available from premium brand manufacturers like BlackVue, Lukas, Street Guardian, Thinkware, etc. It's real parking mode elevates the T1 above similarly priced cameras, except for the Thinkware F50. Shame the T1 isn't available in discreet matt black.

Yeah, I did wish that Goluk parking mode would be similar to other premium dash cams that does pre-buffer also, as 16 seconds is enough, but would prefer to be able to capture more until the motion ends.

I do think that Goluk is working on making a dash cam that will be black, as they do receive feedbacks from users in the US that we want a more discrete dash cam.

You can take a look at the Goluk T2, it's a step forward toward the more discrete trend, as that dash cam is pretty much black with the exception of the chrome ring around the lens. I was told the specs of the Goluk T1 and T2 to be identical, just the outside casing on the T2 is black.

You can take a look at the Goluk T2, it's a step forward toward the more discrete trend, as that dash cam is pretty much black with the exception of the chrome ring around the lens.
Better, but it's a shame they couldn't resist the shiny lens bezel ...

image.jpeg

Better, but it's a shame they couldn't resist the shiny lens bezel ...

View attachment 27318

Yup... One can always spray paint around it ;) or sharpie or something haha. Guess we will just wait and see what Goluk has to bring for future dash cams and hopefully it will be matte black to be more discrete.

I guess some people do buy one product over another solely based on that one product have a more smart look, but i would buy a product on what it can do for me and then the look of it would be secondary.
I might even buy a really cool dashcam even if it was spammed in crome plastic and LED lights, but it would have to be a really good performer on the footage side of things for that to happen, cuz the visual things i dont like i can change, question is if its worth my effort as seen from a price / performance standpoint.

Back