Good Actioncam for Trailrunning

Mauki

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Are Trailrunner here?

I want to buy a SJCam for Trailrunning and for Holiday. I want to film and take pictures while I'm running. I like to make panorama pictures too.

My choice actual is a SJCAM SJ6 Legend.

Is the camera ok for this ore are there better cameras?

Last edited:
Are Trailrunner here?

I want to buy a SJCam for Trailrunning and for Holiday. I want to film and take pictures while I'm running. I like to make panorama pictures too.

My choice actual is a SJCAM SJ6 Legend.

Is the camera ok for this ore are there better cameras?
The SJ6 is a good camera for 1080 resolution at 60fps frame rate, and has good gyro stabilisation which will probably be important.

If you want something a little cheaper then look at the Gitup Git2, or Git2P. The SJ6 is essentially a copy of the Git2 with a touch screen added and an extra screen at the front. The touchscreen makes it a little nicer to use but doesn't improve the image quality, the front screen seems useless to me. The Git2, as well as being cheaper, gives you better control over exposure etc., has one of the best gyro stabilisers, has significantly better battery life and does excellent raw photos so is my preferred camera.

What do you think about the VTIN Action Cam?

http://action-cam-abc.de/produkt/vtin-action-kamera/
I get the impression that there is a good reason that is cheap!

I like to make panorama pictures too.
JPG panaromas from the Gitup Git2:

Boats.jpg

Pond%20Colours.jpg

Last edited:
What is with the ThiEye T5e in comparison to Git2 and SJ6?

What is with the ThiEye T5e in comparison to Git2 and SJ6?
That's one I don't know much about.

I believe that it is basically a cheap 4K 30fps camera which does real 4K, not fake 4K, while the SJ6 is a top of the range 1080 60fps camera.

For things that have real action, you are much better off using 60fps so there is little point spending extra to get 4K at only 30fps, especially if it gives you a cheap camera instead of a high quality one.

Also note that although it claims 16MP, it only has a 12MP sensor, the Git2 and SJ6 have real 16MP sensors which is good for both photos and the gyro stabiliser.

Yes you will want to be careful with what some of the cheaper brands claim in sensor size and footage resolution.

The SJ6 also mention 4K but it is not the true honest to god 4K, and i think SJcams also acknowledge this.
But for trail running 1080p would be best with good EIS, and changing to photo mode to take full sensor resolution pictures is fast, and i think both the SJ8 and GIT2 also have time lapse photography, so you could leave it at that while running too, though i do think if you run in a shaded ares with low light there is a high chance pictures will suffer from motion blur.

Sjcams and GIT are also good at supporting their cameras, something that is hard to get with other low price brands.

I think the thieyet5e also are featured alongside the Sj6 in some camera comparison videos on youtube, but i cant remember how good its EIS is compared to the SJ6.

BTW SJcams also have a lower tier SJ6 without the front screen called Sjcam SJ6 legend air, other than the missing front screen and it use a 14 mpix sensor i think they are the same.

http://sjcamhd.com/sj6-legend-air/

http://sjcamhd.com/sjcam-sj6-legend/

Not sure how the two relate to each other on the prize, and if the air version have just as good EIS as the SJ6 legend.
I would assume chasing a 1080p frame around on a 14 mpix sensor Vs a 16 mpix sensor give a little more headroom for the 16 mpix sensor, but in real world use i am not sure i have not seen the 2 up against each other side by side.

though i do think if you run in a shaded ares with low light there is a high chance pictures will suffer from motion blur.
I think the Git2 has an advantage there, in 1080 60fps mode it has a minimum shutter speed of 1/60th second while I think the SJ6 goes to 1/30th second so has double the motion blur and has to duplicate frames giving not-smooth video. The Git2 image just gets darker when you go into shade so is good for running under trees.

I would assume chasing a 1080p frame around on a 14 mpix sensor Vs a 16 mpix sensor give a little more headroom for the 16 mpix sensor, but in real world use i am not sure i have not seen the 2 up against each other side by side.
For 1080 video there are plenty of pixels anyway, but you do get a sharper image if you do an exact 4:1 scaling, also means that the scaling can be done in the sensor which allows 60/120 fps. At 4:1 a 12MP sensor has zero spare pixels (main reason why most 4K cameras don't do gyro stabilisation in 4K mode), and a 16 MP sensor would have twice as many spare pixels for the stabiliser as a 14MP sensor.

12MP sensor cameras do perform stabilisation at 1080 though so I'm not sure the above is always how it works, but that might explain why turning on the stabiliser on the Git2 doesn't make much difference to image quality while on other cameras it can.

For just a few dollars more you can get Yi 4k which is loads better than sjcam or git.

Or wait a bit and get Foxeer Cube which will offer similar performance to Yi 4k in a much smaller package.

Not sure how the two relate to each other on the prize, and if the air version have just as good EIS as the SJ6 legend.
The difference is cost, also the 14MP sensor can not support true 4K. Even some other cheap Ambarella A12 camera use this 14MP sensor, but can not support true 4K.

There just came a video up on YT with a guy using the new yi 4k+ but its along for the run on a gimbal, and i would not be running holding a gimbal or camera for that matter all the time.

Back