"good for you son" ?

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
Somebody almost caused a very nasty accident.

Front car was causing an obstruction, the rules for motorway driving are quite clear that if traffic in the right lane is queuing then you may overtake in the left lane. You are not allowed to stop on the motorway unless necessary. There are also rules against weaving etc to block an overtake which probably also apply to illegal overtakes.

Of course there are a lot of people who would do the same, most British people don't like jumping queues, and it was an Audi behind!

Looking at the video the road sign indictates there were works ahead with the left lane blocked at a set distance so any driver in this left lane if paying attention would have observed this hopefully other vehicles travelling in the right lane would have allowed them both to enter the flow of traffic.

Basic rules for driving in uk are - drive on the left unless signs or markings say otherwise. Mirror signal manouver.
There would've been signs indicating lane closure quite a way back - but they wouldn't say "lane closed 1 mile ahead, merge now". The reason for the long queue in the right lane is simply the sheep mentality.

Absolutely there would have been a sign way back Spanish drivers can be just as bad they come along the slip road to join the autovia at 100kms and expect you to pull over like immediately

...but they wouldn't say "lane closed 1 mile ahead, merge now". The reason for the long queue in the right lane is simply the sheep mentality.
More likely to say: "lane closed 1 mile ahead, use both lanes", to try and stop people doing that.

Here you are not expected to merge before the 1 lane actually go missing, the signs before the actual spot is just information signs and do not mean you have to pull into the open lane right here and now.

I must i and most ppl seem to merge into the open lane as quick as possible, and therefor ppl passing me to ( in my eyes ) force ther way into the que up ahead is :mad:

And i dont get why the law is this way, surely if you wait to the last second to do somthing there is a higher chance of somthing going wrong.

Here you are not expected to merge before the 1 lane actually go missing, the signs before the actual spot is just information signs and do not mean you have to pull into the open lane right here and now.

I must i and most ppl seem to merge into the open lane as quick as possible, and therefor ppl passing me to ( in my eyes ) force ther way into the que up ahead is :mad:

And i dont get why the law is this way, surely if you wait to the last second to do somthing there is a higher chance of somthing going wrong.
Here, in my part of the UK, normally people use both lanes until the end and then take turns, one car from one lane followed by one from the other, that works very well and nobody gets :mad:.

However in the summer when the tourists arrive we quite often end up with only one lane in use and an occasional vehicle jumping the queue, that does not work well, everybody gets :mad:, especially once the queue builds up past the first warning sign and people end up in the empty lane and panic because there is no gap to get into the other lane where they want to be. If it builds up passed a junction because the queue is twice as long as necessary then it is even worse.

More likely to say: "lane closed 1 mile ahead, use both lanes", to try and stop people doing that.
Trouble is, it would cost a fortune to produce the millions of signs required (based on the number of roadworks we see here every day!) so Transport simply assume that the sensible drivers would realise how daft it is to be sat a mile from the closed lane with an empty lane next to them!

Everyone has to merge at some point, if they are all doing it a mile back when traffic is flowing, it'll stop far too quickly - you then get this scenario where you have a mile of crawling traffic sat looking at an empty lane next to them - so people will use it - why not? it's empty, it's not closed for hundreds of yards. In fact, as cars approach the cones in lane 1, they will be slowing right down (aided by countdown markers) and so will be at similar speed to those in lane 2 when it comes to merge whereas someone who panics at the first "lane closed 1 mile ahead" sign will want to get into lane 2 - maybe slowing following vehicles to their speed - and so everyone else behind slows too much - you end up with 2 sets of standing traffic in 1 lane.
Just look at how traffic grinds to a halt when one person slows to rubberneck the accident on the other carriageway. First one slows, second brakes, third almost stops, fourth stops and so on. You now have standing traffic at the rate of 1 mile per minute. As they set off, almost everyone accellerates at different rates. first is a racing driver, second dithers & likes the 2 second gap before he sets off, third has to check his mirrors, brakes, in gear etc - it can take longer to clear than it did to form.
You often sit for ages with the handbrake on. Eventually things start moving & you wonder what the heck that jam was all about!

the thing i noticed is that nobody came up behind the angry car the whole duration of the video.

Maybe another dash camer sitting back behind them and recording everything....

It's the smart ones/ opportunists/ law breakers who will go around the line of traffic.
Based on my experience everyone coming should fill up both lanes ones a few cars filled up the open lane, just like slugeguts was saying, however that would mean that every driver around is as well experienced and capable and aware of this as us.....but that simply isn't the case.

What we need is manufacturers to come up with a feature that will alert drive and say(the lane hasn't ended yet has it?) lol

w6rqr4.jpg

Why didn't he try his game with the Bentley that was one car ahead of his victim?

He probably just got fed up of ignorant selfish drivers running up the inside lane and pushing in at the front of queue, the fact that the last car to do it was a posh git in a Bentley just caused him to act :)

I believe the highway code's view is, 'use both lanes, merge in turn'. It's also quicker for everyone except 'queue jumpers' if everyone uses both lanes, but for some reason Brits don't and get upset when someone else complies with the highway code.

i'm ok with that rule and practice it myself, but have a little sense. if one lane is basically stopped (doing <2mph) and you're flying past at 30-60mph, you're asking to be in a wreck. because WHEN (not IF) someone pulls out, you're going too fast to react and will crash. and it'll be entirely your fault.

keybaud i'm not directing this at you; just the morons flying past on the left at unsafe speeds. 10 mph would be much more prudent, and still have the same result. you'd spend less time sitting still at the merge, too since it took you a few more seconds to get there.

He probably just got fed up of ignorant selfish drivers running up the inside lane and pushing in at the front of queue, the fact that the last car to do it was a posh git in a Bentley just caused him to act :)
Do you have links to the relevant section of the highway code?

Section 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Do you have links to the relevant section of the highway code?

Why is it that some people have to have something in black and white to behave with common decency towards their fellow man?.. If you must have it written down then try looking at law referenced in Rule 144 of the Highway Code;

You MUST NOT
  • drive dangerously
  • drive without due care and attention
  • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users.
Law RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 as amended by RTA 1991

Happy now ? :)

Why is it that some people have to have something in black and white to behave with common decency towards their fellow man?.. If you must have it written down then try looking at law referenced in Rule 144 of the Highway Code;

You MUST NOT
  • drive dangerously
  • drive without due care and attention
  • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users.
Law RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 as amended by RTA 1991

Happy now ? :)
And how much consideration was the knob in the Renault showing?
IN FACT, the Renault driver was driving dangerously by swinging out in front of a moving vehicle.
he was also driving without due care and attention...
Renault driver did not show reasonable consideration for other road users - he forced the merc to slam on his brakes. He also, illegally, blocked the road thereby preventing law-abiding road users from continuing their journey.
You also talk about common decency towards their fellow man - where did the Renault driver do this?

You could also argue that the merc was being considerate - using an otherwise emty lane, not making the queue longer, driving in accordance with the highway code...

Back