Good Front & Rear Cam w/ backup cam?

ouka

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting to go cross-eyed reading capabilities and reviews. Please help me!

I'm ideally looking for a camera that:

Front and rear cameras that record at 1080p. I would prefer that the video be spliced into a single vid file when both cams are recording, but is not a hard requirement.

Rear cam IP68 rated, as it will be on the back of a truck.

Backup cam when in reverse. Recording should be uninterrupted.

>32gb SD card compatible.

Bump detection/locking a plus.

Parking monitor / motion detection a plus.

Well-designed user interface a must.

I have been finding systems that are either good dual cam systems or good backup cam systems, but not both.

Thanks in advance...

It seems that dashcam and backing cams are best done separately. There are very few waterproof dashcam modules as well, although Street Guardian will be adding one to their product line in the future.

Backing cams are best mounted low giving coverage to the area immediately behind the vehicle. These are focused close-in. Dashcams focus further out and are mounted high to better view more than just a car directly behind you. Dashcams have small viewing screens to maintain a degree of stealthiness which is again at cross purpose to a backing cam. Decent backing cams are cheap these days so just get one separately for best results.

The CMOS (sensor) modules of dashcams generate quite a bit of heat which must be dissipated during use. Air-cooling makes that easy inside a vehicle but waterproof enclosures have no such airflow by their nature which makes their design a lot tougher to manage well. Backing cams don't run long enough to overheat which makes them much easier to design well. There is also the need to maintain lens cleanliness with these. There are some "motorcycle" cams which might be adapted for car use, but shopping for these is tricky as several have reliability problems. The exterior module of the SG dual-remote cam which is itself nearing it's initial release would be my recommendation, but there is no timeline being given for it, so that could take awhile. SG doesn't release products until they are well-tested so it should prove excellent when it arrives.

There is no perfect dashcam set-up and there never will be; always there will be some compromises to be made. The best approach is to decide which one aspect matters the most to you then see what fills that need, narrowing down the choices based on the lesser needs. Read the forums on the models you are considering to see what owners of them are experiencing since almost every cam has quirks that you may have problems living with. With any luck you will end up with something you can be satisfied with even if it isn't ideal for you.

And welcome to DCT :)
Phil

You would think there would be plenty of solutions for this need, but they are rare, and usually lacking in some way.
I was overjoyed to find what seemed to be the holy grail:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07BXN4299
I bought one but I never had time to find a way to attach it to my van's empty mirror mounting point. Since then I've left that job and don't have a van, so it never got put to use or tested properly.

The rear camera is waterproof AND 1080P, that alone is a near impossible combination to find. Having a working rear view mirror (electronic) would have been a most welcome bonus.

I don't know how good it would be as a reversing camera if you don't already have one fitted. They are usually angled down at least enough to see your own bumper, whereas a rear-facing driving camera needs to see right behind you. Maybe the field of view is wide enough to do both jobs, but as I say, I never fitted it to test this.

Dashboard cameras that record both forwards and backward (also called dual-channel or dual-lens dash cams) have seen a big increase in quality over the last year or so.

In nowadays everybody needs the best front and rear dash cam in their car, because not only for the security purpose even it will be a damn useful device for every friend group. Because whenever you go for the road trip then it will record everything in a proper manner to give you the complete recorded memories for the very view of the road.

Look at this front and rear dash cam:

FULL HD 1080P AND WIDE ANGLE - FHD 1080P at 30fps 6G lens front camera with 150 degree ultra-wide angle + 720P at 30fps IP67 waterproof 120 degree rear-view camera, providing excellent coverage and ensuring you get the very best footage possible all day and night,that means you can get a safer daily driving environment.

5.5 Inch TOUCH SCREEN & ANTI-DAZZLING MIRROR - With 5.5" white screen IPS mirror Anti-glare glass mirror, compared with traditional physical buttons, much easier to navigate and set the multi-function menu. And with the high transparency blue-white mirror, you can get achromatic vision whether day or night, this feature greatly increases night driving safety in some situation. And good night vision effects.

Back