Good HDMI-Grabber to connect Action-Cam as "Webcam"

M

mike-k

Hi there,

today, my trusty webcam died after 6 Years use. Checking the prices for a good replacement, I came up with the idea "hey, why not simply use an Actioncam" (main-use as webcam and also for bike-tours etc)...

For that, I already found out I'd need an HDMI-to-USB-Grabber (for most AC's with HDMI-out) - or a PCIe-Extension-Board...

I did find some products, but they are all very expensive...

As I don't have an AC yet - does anybody know a good Grabber or an Action-Cam already "webcam-enabled"?

Or is my idea doomed to fail anyway?

Thanks for any help & hint!
Mike

Thanks, the git2 looks interesting - but the price is a bit high... Especially I'd need an ext. mic on the pc...

But I'll keep it in mind if I can't find an alternative, thanks :)

Thanks, the git2 looks interesting - but the price is a bit high... Especially I'd need an ext. mic on the pc...

But I'll keep it in mind if I can't find an alternative, thanks :)
for what you get (in terms of an action cam) it's a steal. especially when compared to the likes of sony and gopro.

Hi there,

today, my trusty webcam died after 6 Years use. Checking the prices for a good replacement, I came up with the idea "hey, why not simply use an Actioncam" (main-use as webcam and also for bike-tours etc)...

For that, I already found out I'd need an HDMI-to-USB-Grabber (for most AC's with HDMI-out) - or a PCIe-Extension-Board...

As I don't have an AC yet - does anybody know a good Grabber or an Action-Cam already "webcam-enabled"?

Mike

The Mobius works quite well as a web cam via simple USB connection.

From the instruction manual:

Mobiuswebcammode.jpg

Works on Macs too.

orig. Question has been "Mobius Dashcam?" - few min after the post, I saw the "no dashcam, actioncam"... thats why...

orig. Question has been "Mobius Dashcam?" - few min after the post, I saw the "no dashcam, actioncam"... thats why...

Oh, I see. In fact, I just saw the original email alert of your post that clarified that for me as well.
Yeah, the Mobius is listed under "Action Cam Discussions" here on DashCamTalk but it happens to be a great dash cam too so it also gets lots of discussion for that purpose. Anyway, it works great as a 720P web cam as well. :)

One of the reasons I enjoy the Mobius so much is because of how versatile and configurable it is.

I am very impressed by the low light performance of the Camcoder. Of course, compared with a three-chip camera with 1/3 inch. CCD has not been very impressive, but considering the price category, it is very surprising. There was very little grain produced when the camera shoots in low light. And the camcorder produced an image reveals some details on what is considered the lighting conditions of candle light. In medium low light conditions the camera did pretty well. And under normal environmental conditions, technically, in low light, the camera performed amazing. It is really cool.

Hi there,

Mike
So, finaly, Have you got your new cam ? what is this ? :D I just see your topic today :D
+1 vote for mobius here :)

No, unfortunatly; had a dead harddrive (including lost data) on my NAS, then the PC broke down, after my budget recovered from that, some ....nice human... decided to brake my car's lights (all of 'em, around the car), insurance won't pay as they believed in an "parking-incident" (yeah that's why everything else than the lamp is fine and it happened around the car ô0 - unfortunatly, my DC does not record while parked (have to change that somewhen) - so now, the budget I planned for the cam is pretty much in use at the moment... (I hate murphys law)

But actually, I pretty much fell in love with the Git2...

Dont buy git2. If you buy a mobius with capacitor, you can use it as a dashcam and run it 24/7 everyday. It comsume very little power at 720p, so don't worry about batteries. That's a wonderfull anycam. :D

Dont buy git2. If you buy a mobius with capacitor, you can use it as a dashcam and run it 24/7 everyday. It comsume very little power at 720p, so don't worry about batteries. That's a wonderfull anycam. :D
"720p" for dashcam use?!

The Git2 makes a very nice dashcam in sunlight and the gyro stabiliser is great for use on the bike, it's not so good in the dark so not ideal for night time dashcam use or as a webcam in poor lighting but it does work OK.

If your using it as a dashcam then put it under a sunshield so the midday sun doesn't cook it, but the battery can be changed in 10 seconds if it ever did suffer from heat, could be an issue in Oz but I can't see it being a problem in Switzerland.

You get a lot more camera for the extra £18.

Last edited:
"720p" for dashcam use?!

The Git2 makes a very nice dashcam in sunlight and the gyro stabiliser is great for use on the bike, it's not so good in the dark so not ideal for night time dashcam use or as a webcam in poor lighting but it does work OK.

If your using it as a dashcam then put it under a sunshield so the midday sun doesn't cook it, but the battery can be changed in 10 seconds if it ever did suffer from heat, could be an issue in Oz but I can't see it being a problem in Switzerland.

You get a lot more camera for the extra £18.
I mean he can avoid the "parking-incident" like this. The mobius can run 24/7 and no need any power supply plus or battery power bank. :)
Gitup2 is 140$ now at amazon and if he want hardwire this 24/7. The cheapest solution is motorpark: about + 20$. Mobius is more cheaper than that: only 70$. :D and some mount: the maximun aroud: 100$. :D

I mean he can avoid the "parking-incident" like this. The mobius can run 24/7 and no need any power supply plus or battery power bank. :)
Gitup2 is 140$ now at amazon and if he want hardwire this 24/7. The cheapest solution is motorpark: about + 20$. Mobius is more cheaper than that: only 70$. :D and some mount: the maximun aroud: 100$. :D

Gitup Git2 - £69.99

"The mobius can run 24/7 and no need any power supply" - Ok, that advantage would mean a small saving and I guess your car battery will never go flat :)

I wouldn't recommend running either 24/7, especially in hot sunshine, but they both will if you ask them and give them a little shade. There are a few photos of half melted Mobius about.

I wouldn't recommend running either 24/7, especially in hot sunshine, but they both will if you ask them and give them a little shade. There are a few photos of half melted Mobius about.

any camera will suffer eventually if running 24/7

I remember i read somewhere on this forum about mobius can run 24/7 everyday for very long time. Many of ppl use mobius as CCTV too. No issues at all. And SGZC12SG (panorama ) run 24/7 since it begun to sell. A couple years.
And Gitup2 doesnt use capacitor too.
I never read anyone install git2 for running 24/4. :D

Viet Nam? I'd sure want a capacitor based cam. I've run a mobius with capacitor 24/7 for months on end, but in a large truck which probably doesn't have the sun problems most cars do. (More vertical windshield)
i have ran the pano x2 24/7 since i purchased it at its launch, what , a couple years ago now?

still works fine. cards still record. footage is easily downloaded.

Save for the less than perfect exposure on the thing, it has not given me any issues.
finaly found them. :) @Nigel
:D

I remember i read somewhere on this forum about mobius can run 24/7 everyday for very long time. Many of ppl use mobius as CCTV too. No issues at all. And SGZC12SG (panorama ) run 24/7 since it begun to sell. A couple years.
And Gitup2 doesnt use capacitor too.
I never read anyone install git2 for running 24/4. :D
I've used my Git2 with a super capacitor, and I've never heard of one failing from being left running, people do use them as dashcams. I don't think they are any more likely to fail from 24/7 use than a Mobius, but of course that is difficult to prove since they have only been on sale for about 7 months so far, not the years that the Mobius has evidence for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Action Camera Discussion 0
Back