Good News! Temperature Cut-Off Increase for the DR900s 185f

NorthStar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Good news! Incase this information didn’t get shared here yet, I just contacted one of BlackVue overseas distributors and they informed me that there is a new firmware update coming very soon that will allow the user to increase the overheat cut-off even higher than the recent updates that fixed the same issue but with conservative increases.

The new firmware will have a new maximum of 185f/85c

Hopefully this will end the overheat chapter for the DR900s

009c1b2535aad189a9dae6a362e7741c.jpg

"may allow the user to override"? I smell something fishy.., like "user is allowed to overclock the GPU/CPU" but sayonara warranty if it fails.

"may allow the user to override"? I smell something fishy.., like "user is allowed to overclock the GPU/CPU" but sayonara warranty if it fails.

I dont think so, that will be stupid of them to do and no one will accept it, plus that it is not a common business practice. Anyways, we will see, its a matter of time before we get the official next update

ahahaha
now, no thermal induced shutdown, only thermal induced component failure. :p
but at least it's at the discretion of the end user/customer ;)

If people’s vehicles are getting to these temperatures you have bigger problems than a camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I updated mine today. And I don’t see the new setting options that they mentioned.

That one was 1008... today I downloaded 1009

That one was 1008... today I downloaded 1009

I guess next update then or maybe later. BlackVue customer service didn’t give a specific date as per the response in the screen shot above

That's pretty normal operating temperature actually(like, sure, electrolytic capacitors will not like you for that), not to mention the actual range in idle.

And plastic? Man, i don't know what vehicles you buy but even the cheapest ones don't use chocolate...

That's pretty normal operating temperature actually(like, sure, electrolytic capacitors will not like you for that), not to mention the actual range in idle.

And plastic? Man, i don't know what vehicles you buy but even the cheapest ones don't use chocolate...

Whats funny is that BlackVue have BIG issues with these “normal operating temperatures”!

Actually I don’t know what most here are doing.
I live on the edge of a desert, vehicle interior never gets above 60c sitting in the direct sun on a 45c day.

My 900 hasn’t glitched once.

I do have Optikool glass on the windscreen which seems to do a great job rejecting heat and very tinted with heat rejecting film though.

I still wouldn’t want my interior subjected to the temps being mentioned, the sun does a great job around here destroying dashboards, exterior plastics and trim and of course clear coat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't know, don't have one. After i saw so many users with those issues i've switched to "wait and see" mode. I wonder if the DR900S shuts down even in these ambient temperatures or it "was" just due black casing, inside heat sources AND ambient...

Does somebody measured these "Blackvue's 75°C" if it corresponds to real 75°C?:D

Last edited:
That one was 1008... today I downloaded

https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/?page_id=67404#firmware-current

But it says it only works with android and windows. and I don't have either .. LOL. lets see how long it takes them.

Thanks for the pointer! The new FW is 1.009, released 12/20/2018:

WHAT’S NEW:
  1. High Temperature management modifications.
    Internal cut-off threshold adjusted to better match actual ambient temperature levels (75°C/167°F).
    “HT” (High Temperature) overlay should show on video files from about 70°C/158°F.
  2. Updated default settings:
    1. Parking Mode default set to Time Lapse.
    2. High Temperature Warning default set to OFF.

So, as a perspective buyer looking to buy a camera in a southern Hot climate, what is current state of the "overheating issue" on the DR900S-2CH?

Also, was there an overheating issue with the DR900S-1CH or did it run cooler due to not having to power the rear camera?

What about running the DR900S-2CH at 1080p during the hot summer months, would there be an overheating issue then or would this resolve it?

I see some have recommended the Samsung high endurance 128GB card, is this a suitable card to help with the overheating issue or no? I admit that I am not versed in the fine details of these cards, but when I initially looked at the High Endurance card I noticed that the write speeds were lower than the EVO Select (Green ones) that I've had good luck with in other (non-blackvue) cams and figured faster would be better suited in a 4K cam? That and I've currently had no issues with the green Samsungs (but I have not been running a DR900s 4K cam).

I am looking for the best cam I can get for my wife's car, it's a daily driver in a hot climate and sits out in the sun on the weekends (parking garage at work during the week, but the car will sit in direct sun at times). I recently had 2 incidents that I wish I had captured footage on, one was vandalism to my truck (cam was out due to bad SD card) and an incident on the highway where I wanted to ID a tag or company markings that was unsuccessful (was using an inferior camera that has since been upgraded).

I guess part of my problem is if I'm spending $350 for the DR750 2CH I think it's worth it to just spend the extra $100 and get the 4K. Also, if I'm just going to stick with 1080P and not have the option of 4K, I'm thinking of going with the A129 2ch setup.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

So glad I found these forums also. :)

Last edited:
So, as a perspective buyer looking to buy a camera in a southern Hot climate, what is current state of the "overheating issue" on the DR900S-2CH?

Also, was there an overheating issue with the DR900S-1CH or did it run cooler due to not having to power the rear camera?

What about running the DR900S-2CH at 1080p during the hot summer months, would there be an overheating issue then or would this resolve it?

I see some have recommended the Samsung high endurance 128GB card, is this a suitable card to help with the overheating issue or no? I admit that I am not versed in the fine details of these cards, but when I initially looked at the High Endurance card I noticed that the write speeds were lower than the EVO Select (Green ones) that I've had good luck with in other (non-blackvue) cams and figured faster would be better suited in a 4K cam? That and I've currently had no issues with the green Samsungs (but I have not been running a DR900s 4K cam).

I am looking for the best cam I can get for my wife's car, it's a daily driver in a hot climate and sits out in the sun on the weekends (parking garage at work during the week, but the car will sit in direct sun at times). I recently had 2 incidents that I wish I had captured footage on, one was vandalism to my truck (cam was out due to bad SD card) and an incident on the highway where I wanted to ID a tag or company markings that was unsuccessful (was using an inferior camera that has since been upgraded).

I guess part of my problem is if I'm spending $350 for the DR750 2CH I think it's worth it to just spend the extra $100 and get the 4K. Also, if I'm just going to stick with 1080P and not have the option of 4K, I'm thinking of going with the A129 2ch setup.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

So glad I found these forums also. :)

Welcome! the DR900s with new firmware update is still under testing by the members here. Its still winter though! Too early to put it under real test

Best value for the money are the Viovo A119 models as I understood from Vortex channel on youtube. Check the video below, i agree with most of what he said and it will save you days of research

Good luck!

My DR900s overheats so easily. I even put more tint on my window above the camera. It'a only in the 70'a outside and it overheats just parked in the sun. Jeez... what's going to be annoying is the camera turning off when I needed it most...

Back