Good night security

Pullar

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hey all new to the forum, and looking for a solution to my vehicle being vandalized and hit at work. Want something that will catch the sides of my vehicle at night, as i work straight nights. parking lot is somewhat lit but fairy dark. have been reading most of the afternoon today after replacing a tire that was slashed, my third incident in less than a year in the parking lot. Live in southern ontario canada, so get a wide temp swing. Not looking to spend a fortune but am tired of spending money to get the car fixed as well. Car is parked for just over 8 hrs every night. So based on what I've read i'll need an external power source to save my cars battery. Im also not sure whether to get one that will motion activate or go continual shooting for the night. Also can the cameras be sent on angles front to back to cover the sides ie place camera in rear right corner to point on angle to left side and vice versa. Or will a dual cam front back set up catch enough of the sides of the vehicle to see someone keying car or slashing tires. I'm not too worried about coverage while i'm driving, primarily for parking lot coverage at work. The blueskysea b1w looked like a cheaper option that might work but would need to run continuously as no motion sensing and the g sensor wont help for vandalism. Was hoping to stay under the 4-500 canadian mark for everything. Suggestions on cams battery pack and memory cards to meets my needs with this limited budget would be appreciated.
thanks
Ryan

Have changed the budget and looked at some other options.looking to put 2, 2 channel cams together to get full coverage of my vehicle.have narrowed it down to the blacksys ch-100B (saves $), and the blackvue dr590. From what I've read on each the newer 590 should have better image especially for night which is my problem area. I also like the options and ease of use on the 100b. Having trouble deciding and would appreciate input from those the use each of these at night to help make my decision. Primary use would be in poorly lit parking lot. I've also looked at adding either one or two cellink b packs.was wondering if one pack could run all 4 cams for about 8.5 hr or if I would need 2, one for each cam. My drive is about an hour each way so should charge the pack(s). Would like to save the 300 bucks on the extra pack if possible.
Thanks

not sure on the power question, @BlackboxMyCar might be able to answer that as they do the cellink product, you would want cameras that run all the time as motion detect isn't going to be reliable enough at night to be sure of catching what is going on

Was thinking about continuous run, but thought I'd try the motion detection out. Was checking out @BlackBox for the equipment. Will ask them about power as well. Thanks

Hey Pullar,

To power both cameras for 8 hours one cellink should be enough. The only thing is in the past for people that wanted multiple camera setups it's generally plugged into multiple Cellinks. This is to make it easier and to make sure it'll last the whole night and potentially more. When hardwired the Cellink B will charge in about an hour and a half so your journey may or may not charge it to full between your drives assuming there's an 8-hour work in between your journey to and from home. To maximize the cameras and make sure you have enough power to pull through I would strongly suggest looking into two Cellinks. If anything you can try one and let us know how that works for you.

As for the cameras, the DR590S-2CH will give you 1080p both front and rear while the CH-100b will only give you 720P rear. This may or may not be enough depending on condition, so that's also something to think about.

Regards,
Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

As for the cameras, the DR590S-2CH will give you 1080p both front and rear while the CH-100b will only give you 720P rear. This may or may not be enough depending on condition, so that's also something to think about.

from previous reviews I don't think the rear cam on the CH-100b is that great in low light either, given the usage scenario I'm not sure that's the ideal choice

from previous reviews I don't think the rear cam on the CH-100b is that great in low light either, given the usage scenario I'm not sure that's the ideal choice
Absolutely, there's also another factor to consider is if your vehicle has tinted windows. It may be even harder for the cameras to see out.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Absolutely, there's also another factor to consider is if your vehicle has tinted windows. It may be even harder for the cameras to see out.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar
Yes rear and side windows are factory tinted. Was worried the 100b wouldn't work but like the extra features and the price.

100% agree the sides and rear wouldn't be all that clear. The rear camera of the CH-100b doesn't cut through tint all that well.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

That's what I thought from what I have read, but was holding out some hope that it would be ok. I liked the wifi and app set up as well as the memory card partitioning. And the blackvue with similar features gets out of budget quick.

That's what I thought from what I have read, but was holding out some hope that it would be ok. I liked the wifi and app set up as well as the memory card partitioning. And the blackvue with similar features gets out of budget quick.

Can totally understand, wifi does make life easier to move files in and out of the camera. Have a look out for the DR590W-2ch. It should be coming soon and it's basically the 590 with wifi.

I'll do my best to remember this thread so when we start carrying them I can let you know.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Last edited:
Realistically the wifi makes it easier to setup and change settings even taking files off to save. But once set up how often do you guys use Wi-Fi. Also how well will the 590s rear cam go through tint.

Realistically the wifi makes it easier to setup and change settings even taking files off to save. But once set up how often do you guys use Wi-Fi. Also how well will the 590s rear cam go through tint.

After the initial setup the only time I would use wifi is when I need to pull footage off the camera. Depending on drives and use this can be quite rare.

As for the DR590's rear cam it seems to work well even with tint while in motion. It does block the light depending on level of tint but it's not terrible. The only thing is when the vehicle is parked and it's dark outside. It can be a struggle to get decent footage even with the brightness turned up.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Also how well will the 590s rear cam go through tint.

for what you want to do you might be better off looking at 2 x Thinkware F800 cameras, main unit of each for front and back and the rear camera of each for the sides, they'll deal with the low light and tint better than the Blackvue will

for what you want to do you might be better off looking at 2 x Thinkware F800 cameras, main unit of each for front and back and the rear camera of each for the sides, they'll deal with the low light and tint better than the Blackvue will
They do seem nice and have good reviews but unfortunately it would add over 500 to the cost. Canadian prices aren't very good.

you don't get what you don't pay for unfortunately
Still looking around. If I jump to one dr750 2ch which had the starvis sensor on the rear cam as well for the sides and pickup 2 viofo a129s for front and back im only 150 over the dual 590 setup. I need the Small cams for the sides as I will have to mount in the rear doors. The rear side window on the 2018 Equinox is useless from the inside. Would this work any better.

Still looking around. If I jump to one dr750 2ch which had the starvis sensor on the rear cam as well for the sides and pickup 2 viofo a129s for front and back im only 150 over the dual 590 setup. I need the Small cams for the sides as I will have to mount in the rear doors. The rear side window on the 2018 Equinox is useless from the inside. Would this work any better.

The problem of running multiple camera setups is then you have to worry about multiple memory cards as well as powering all of them at the same time.

That being said it would work, but hiding the A119s on the sides may be difficult.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Last edited:
The problem of running multiple camera setups is then you have to worry about multiple memory cards as well as powering all of them at the same time.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar
Still had 2 cellink B's factored in to my total as well asone extra memory card. And my previous post should have been viofo a119s. Amazon has them on now for 120.

Back