Good Old Dash Cam, well its only a year old.

Razor1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
So, its now paid for itself in just one incident.
Leaving Asda car park, another car decided to come head onto me.
I stopped & she did momentarily, then she decided to carry on & caused £200 of damage to my car.
She did not stop. So Police Logged it & kept my SD card.
The number plate was well visible & Police have the car details.
The driver will be receiving a letter in the post.

I am now getting another Viofo 119 V3 for the rear.
On that matter, is the A119 V3 the best for a rear position. or is there a better one????

No the V3 will be a good rear camera too, my personal problem doing something like that is that somehow i feel like stealth are a even bigger issue on my rear glass, and so a "big" unit like that are very noticeable.
So i prefer the small rear cameras of dual channel units, but before that i used a mobius camera, which when looked at from the lens end have one of the smallest profiles still to this date.
And with me mounting off the steel frame of my rear hatch, the cameras are at the very top of the glass above the top heater line, so none of my mount can be seen.

Getting power all the way back there can be a issue, at first with my mobius i used a very long cheap USB cable ( 4 M i think it was ) and this resulted in the camera not always starting to record, and so i missed getting rear ended,,,, though there was no need for any video footage as the guy took blame nice and easy.
But it is still a recording i would have liked to have, it was my #2 accident 30 years after the first one, so at that rate i will probably not get hit anytime soon.

To remedy the power issue i tapped into my fuse box and put a 3 X 12 V outlet in the back of my car, this way i dident have to rely on long USB cables, and i could test more cameras back there side by side.

As I have a Yeti with a tailgate which one has to shut with a little force, would this prove to be a problem.
Otherwise I cant see anywhere else to mount it.....

My rear cameras was and still are mounted off a neodymium magnet.
Okay with the mobius that was gripping onto metal on the camera body, now i have just used as a spacer and stuck the rear camera to it with its dual sided tape.
When the mobius was my L side camera in the window on the rear door, i have no problem having the window down half way and do 100 km/h on the motorway and the camera still held in place to the headliner there with magnets did not move either.

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

The mobius as side camera feature in this video.

magnets glued / taped to mobius body, metal strip folded over headliner.

On that matter, is the A119 V3 the best for a rear position. or is there a better one????
I would normally suggest a dual camera, but if you already have the front then yes, the A119 V3 is about the best for a rear camera, I currently have one on my tailgate. If you are using a fuse tap then you can wire it into the same one as the front camera so you only need one fuse location.

Long USB cable is probably OK for the A119, it doesn't use a huge amount of power, but if it is a long distance then it may be better to extend the 12 volt rather than the USB.

Fortunately I have a cig lighter socket in the rear(live all the time), & also can use a piggy back to the rear wiper ignition live.
So I will have to sort out a position for it now.

Wouldn't a second v3 cause cause the voltage cut off to activate quicker. I'm also debating getting another v3 for my wife's car. I do like your idea of having 2 installed

Wouldn't a second v3 cause cause the voltage cut off to activate quicker. I'm also debating getting another v3 for my wife's car. I do like your idea of having 2 installed
With double the power, it will drain the battery in half the time, so yes, if you don't do a lot of driving then you will see the voltage cut off operating more often.

2x A119 V3 will use more power than 1 A129 Duo, which is one of the main reasons for choosing the dual camera over 2 single cameras. On the plus side, you have 2x 2K cameras instead of 2x FHD, or 4K + FHD.

Of course it is not an issue unless you are using parking mode, but if you are then you definitely need to have a low voltage cut off.
There is also the option of only using 1 of the cameras for parking mode, in which case it will use less power than a A129 Duo, giving a longer record time, but then you need to make sure that you park the correct way around to catch the incidents.

I have a direct feed from fuse box for the front, and will use live feed at rear wiper all via Ignition on only.

Back