Good recommendations under $100?

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Any good recommendations under $100? Need to replace my old VF300W that I bought from FoxOffer back in August of 2013. Finally gave in and semi-stopped working.

Looking for a dashcam that has:
-Good video at day and night
-Not too big/noticeable
-A good brand and support if possible

With Screen I suggest the A118 Capacitor, without the Mobius can't be beat

Any recommended sellers/links and any other suggestions?

Of the 2 GJHS mention the little mobius by far have the best support, just be sure to get the optional super caps to replace the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the Mini 0806? Though it is over my budget...

How's the Mini 0806? Though it is over my budget...
Tough to say, it has great potential yet so far it's having issues. If you want hands off reliability, choose the Mobius. If you prefer a more hands on approach go with the 0806.

Tough to say, it has great potential yet so far it's having issues. If you want hands off reliability, choose the Mobius. If you prefer a more hands on approach go with the 0806.

I think I would prefer having a screen on the dashcam, just because it would be easier to adjust and change settings on the go. Mobius seems great though.

Then check out the A118 capacitor for $70 or the 0806, it's only $120. Hopefully it will be sorted out soon, @Rayman.Chan is on the right track.

Then check out the A118 capacitor for $70 or the 0806, it's only $120. Hopefully it will be sorted out soon, @Rayman.Chan is on the right track.

What do you mean getting it sorted out? Some problems with those dashcam?

On a side note.. I just played around with my VF300W and notice it can only record about 1 minute and 38 seconds before the camera crash/go into white screen... I assume it's R.I.P. for that dashcam?

What do you mean getting it sorted out? Some problems with those dashcam?

On a side note.. I just played around with my VF300W and notice it can only record about 1 minute and 38 seconds before the camera crash/go into white screen... I assume it's R.I.P. for that dashcam?
The 0806 has some bugs still; the A118 Capacitor is fine. As I mentioned, it depends on hands on or set it and forget it you want to be.

If the camera still records even though the screen is white, then it could be a loose ribbon cable or faulty screen.

The 0806 has some bugs still; the A118 Capacitor is fine. As I mentioned, it depends on hands on or set it and forget it you want to be.

If the camera still records even though the screen is white, then it could be a loose ribbon cable or faulty screen.

Oh I see... I'll look into those 2 dashcam.

I went in to check the memory card and see if it was still recording, but nope, it ended once it reached 3 minutes as far as I can tell. No more recording was done to the memory card.

I think I would prefer having a screen on the dashcam, just because it would be easier to adjust and change settings on the go. Mobius seems great though.

I have 2 Mobius cams in my car. My girlfriend has a GT550 in hers. When I drive her car the GT550 screen distracts me. It's set to switch off after 3 minutes, which is the minimum available, but that 3 minutes feels like an eternity to me.

Why change settings on the go? Fit & forget. If you really want to change settings on the go, you can adjust Mobius with an Android phone or tablet.

Last edited:
I have 2 Mobius cams in my car. My girlfriend has a GT550 in hers. When I drive her car the GT550 screen distracts me. It's set to switch off after 3 minutes, which is the minimum available, but that 3 minutes feels like an eternity to me.

Why change settings on the go? Fit & forget. If you really want to change settings on the go, you can adjust Mobius with an Android phone or tablet.

Problem is, I don't have Android devices around... I wouldn't mind if there's no screen as long as it has Wi-Fi to use as viewfinder to adjust things.

It's really hard to beat the Mobius for a super discreet, super reliable, highly configurable, extremely versatile and very affordable camera. There's also nothing quite like it on the market in terms of ongoing developer support (regular firmware updates/improvements/new features), hardware improvements, user community and spare/accessory parts availability.

I use a small LCD monitor to aim the Mobius in my vehicle and after that I let it do its thing for weeks or months at a time and simply pop the card out if I need or want the video. I have a super-capacitor in the ones I use in my vehicle, which I consider a "requirement" in a dash cam at this point.

I also carry a Mobius daily as a pocket camera. I love having something the size of a matchbox that takes great (up to two hours on a charge) 1920 x 1080 video and shoots 2304 x 1536 stills. (and options for time lapse/black & white/warmer/cooler/sharper/rotated/variable data rates/multi-modes on the fly/etc./etc./etc.)

(Edit: BTW, a pocket Mobius also has proven itself to be very handy as an audio-only recorder with the lens cap on, if you suddenly find yourself in need of one.)

I think the mini-0806 has the potential to be a great camera. @Rayman.Chan has put a great deal of effort into refining this unit. The lack of a super-cap in the 0806 is kind of a deal breaker for me though.

As GJHS says, the A118 with capacitor would likely be the way to go in this price range if you simply must have a screen built in.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow what brand and size is your LCD monitor? Thanks

To be honest, I called it a monitor just to keep things simple in my post but in fact it is a Haier 7 inch TV with AV inputs. I also have a little no-name TFT monitor kicking around but I prefer using the TV because unlike the little monitor, it has an internal battery which makes things easier when aiming a camera. I originally bought the Haier factory refurbished on eBay for installing CCTV cameras.

To be honest, I called it a monitor just to keep things simple in my post but in fact it is a Haier 7 inch TV with AV inputs. I also have a little no-name TFT monitor kicking around but I prefer using the TV because unlike the little monitor, it has an internal battery which makes things easier when aiming a camera. I originally bought the Haier factory refurbished on eBay for installing CCTV cameras.
Thanks for the quick reply and info! I am going to look at both.

Back